The Social Network

Started by matt35mm, August 28, 2008, 08:37:59 PM

MacGuffin

Jones logs in to 'Social Network'
Thesp joins Sorkin-written pic about Facebook
Source: Variety

Rashida Jones is the latest to log in to Columbia Pictures' "Social Network."

Justin Timberlake and Jesse Eisenberg have already boarded the David Fincher-helmed pic, which revolves around the founders of the social-networking website Facebook. Aaron Sorkin penned the screenplay.

Pic is currently lensing in Los Angeles.

Jones, who recently wrapped the bigscreen drama "Monogamy," sold her script "Frenemy of the State," which she co-wrote with Will McCormack, to Universal. In addition, she and McCormack's screenplay "Celeste and Jesse Forever" is in development at Overture, with Team Todd producing. Jones will also star in the comedy.

The actress-scribe, who most recently starred opposite Paul Rudd in the DreamWorks comedy "I Love You, Man," can currently be seen on the smallscreen in NBC's "Parks and Recreation."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

aww she's funny and pretty and she writes!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

I'm on a binge of reading scripts for movies not out yet, to see what I'll be able to learn by doing so.  So I decided to read this.

The script is quite good, and the film is well-cast, so I expect that this movie will surprise people with how good it is.  It will actually suit Fincher perfectly (it reminds me of Zodiac, in parts).  Mark Zuckerberg is a more interesting character that I would have thought.

I don't know if this is the place to do any sort of detailed review (there are reviews of the script elsewhere if you really want to know about it), but I thought I'd pop in to say that it's on track to being quite a good film.

picolas

thanks matt. where's the script?

matt35mm

You can find the script at http://www.mediafire.com/kristyatmsp which is a great resource for scripts.

There are a few other hot scripts there, such as the new Cameron Crowe project and Will, a script by Demetri Martin, both of which I plan to read in the coming days.  Also other buzzed about scripts there like The Beaver (coming out soon with Jodie Foster directing and Mel Gibson starring), Black Swan (Aronofsky's current project), Black Water Transit (Tony Kaye's project)... buncha other stuff.

I didn't know how much to say about it or whether I should post it here because I'm not sure if there are any unwritten rules about that sort of thing.  Do you think, in the future, if I find a script for a movie that's not out yet, it would be fine for me to post the script and/or a review of it for those who may be interested?

Oh, I also forgot to say about The Social Network that the script is 161 pages, so we can expect a 2 1/2 hour movie.

picolas

good lord!

reviewing/posting sounds fine.

Derek

I also read the script, Eisenberg should kill it, it's a great role. Can't wait to see this one, especially after the disappointment of hearing Fincher was making a movie about the origins of Facebook. It's really well written.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

modage

500millionfriends.com

edit: fixed poster link.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

fixed the poster image above so it shows up now.

maybe someone will want to comment on it now.

also i like the poster.
under the paving stones.

modage

That's not the whole poster!  It leaves out the title on the right side.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

I know but it's better than what was up before which was nothing. You get the gist of it now.
under the paving stones.

modage

Alexandro

Not particularly interesting poster.

modage

Kellen

from the playlist:

QuoteThe promising Aaron Sorkin-scripted drama is based on the novel "The Accidental Billionaires" and centers on the controversial story surrounding Mark Zuckerberg and his little online creation called Facebook. Fincher's subsequent adaptation boasts the strong cast of young up-and-comers in Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield (aka Spider-Man), Justin Timberlake, Rashida Jones and Rooney Mara and has just seen the release of a teaser trailer and poster in anticipation of the October 1st release which we can't wait for.

On top of all that, Nine Inch Nails frontman and all-round maestro Trent Reznor has now revealed he is finishing up on creating the score for the film with his regular collaborator Atticus Ross — who himself recently scored the Hughes Brothers' "The Book Of Eli" — with their work soon to be compacted into a "satisfying record (or two)" that will see a release weeks before the film's release.

"David Fincher started inquiring about my interest in scoring his upcoming film, The Social Network," Reznor writes on the NIN blog, via Pitchfork. "Yeah, the movie about the founding of Facebook. I've always loved David's work but quite honestly I wondered what would draw him to tell that story. When I actually read the script and realized what he was up to, I said goodbye to that free time I had planned. Atticus Ross and I have been on a creative roll so I asked him if he wanted to work on this with me and we signed on."

"Months later, I'm happy to tell you we're nearing the completion of this and I couldn't be happier with how it's turned out. The level of excellence that David operates on is inspiring and the entire process has been challenging and truly enjoyable. As Atticus and I near the end of the scoring process, we're looking forward to the next phase - distilling the large amount of music we've written for this down to a satisfying record (or two). The film opens Oct 1 in the US with the record likely available a couple of weeks ahead of that."

Was that then perhaps some of Reznor's work we heard in the teaser trailer? It was some dark, omnious even if slight stuff which, in hindsight, falls somewhat into the umbrella of Reznor's work. The evident recruitment of the defunct NIN leader should also provide a better sense of what tone Fincher is aiming for with the former music video director known for a strong emphasis on the importance of music — he personally chased David Shire for his "All The President's Men"-inspired work on "Zodiac" and The Dust Brothers for "Fight Club" and has also worked with regular film composers Alexandre Desplat for the acclaimed 'Benjamin Button' score and Howard Shore for "Panic Room."

Oh, and perks of scoring of a film? Reznor's already seen the film months in advance. "It's really fucking good. And dark!" he adds. For us regular folk, October 1st can't come soon enough.