The Brown Bunny

Started by meatwad, May 09, 2003, 07:49:32 PM

Ghostboy

The Silver Bullet

Off topic, but underneath those pot shots, you can find some more bizarre happenings:

QuoteQ. In your "Pirates of the Caribbean" review, you mentioned that I was opening a pirate store. We actually opened the store 14 months ago. It's doing well, too. Pays the rent on our nonprofit space, oddly enough. Only in San Francisco. We sell about 100 eye patches a week. We sell hooks, striped socks, treasure chests in all sizes, lard, planks (by the foot), peglegs (sized to fit)--anything you could want, though we don't sell cannonballs anymore. Our supplier was good, but they kill you on the shipping.

Dave Eggers, San Francisco

A. I have bookmarked your store at www.826valencia.org/store/ and in the future will use you for all my pirate needs. I also could also act as an independent supplier of parrot jokes.
Dave Eggers is a strange, wonderful man.

Meanwhile, Ebert and Gallo probably have a thing going on. Money is probably involved. This is just a scam to generate as much Brown Bunny related hype as possbile.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pozer

that's some shitty hype

Pozer

From Entertainment Weekly's Suprise of the Week:
'THE BROWN BUNNY'
Despite scathing reviews at Cannes, Vincent Gallo's bizarro flick will play at this year's Toronto International Film Festival. Here's hoping the Canadians top Roger Ebert's "worst film" remark.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: poserthat's some shitty hype
Quote from: poserFrom Entertainment Weekly's Suprise of the Week:
'THE BROWN BUNNY'
Despite scathing reviews at Cannes, Vincent Gallo's bizarro flick will play at this year's Toronto International Film Festival. Here's hoping the Canadians top Roger Ebert's "worst film" remark.
That's some shitty hype that's working...
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Raikus

People love to see a trainwreck. On one hand the publicity is good because more people will see the film. On the other, it probably would be best for Gallo's professional career if the "hype" faded away.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

jasper_window

I read in the NY Post today that The Brown Bunny has been altered with the sex scene intact, and will be shown in altered form at Toronto.

context, context, context.

meatwad

i think it's a pretty cool trailer.

that's not saying anything for the film though. It could still suck

ono

That could very well be the most tasteless cover I've ever seen.  It'll sell.  Hehe.

Sebastian Haff

Wow. It seems that Chloe giving head is all this movie is known for other than being extraordinarily bad.

Still, I'll probably give it a chance when it hits Sundance Channel.

The Brown Bunny Redux is being released today on France and Switzerland.
Redux because it's the new montage:  it now includes Gallo's testicles and has 20 minutes less .

This week's edition of the French magazine Les Inrockuptibles includes Vincent Gallo and Jim Jarmusch on the cover.

That's it.

(kelvin)

The French magazine Les cahiers du cinéma gave The Brown Bunny some very positive reviews. BB even figures on the front page. I think they adored it.

SoNowThen

Will we ever see this?

On dvd?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.