The Brown Bunny

Started by meatwad, May 09, 2003, 07:49:32 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: GhostboyBut this is coming from someone who was thrilled by Gerry, so take that as you will. If you're like Matt35mm and are predisposed against the film, you probably won't like it.
Well, I did say that I'm definitely much more interested in seeing it after reading the Ebert interview, which is the only piece on Gallo or the movie that made it seem like a movie worth watching.  I'll prolly rent it.

Plus, I totally dug Gerry, so I really wasn't worried about the slowness of The Brown Bunny.

It sounds like I probably WILL like the final cut of The Brown Bunny, but I still think that I would HATE the Cannes cut--but that was a rough cut, which is explained very clearly in the interview, and for the first time, I was able to understand what this whole mess was about and how it came to be.  I personally have learned from experience the results of showing people a rough cut of a movie, and how icky that whole process is.  Or how you have to sometimes tack on an ending just to preview it for an audience, and that sort of thing.

So I think there was a good lesson learned here:  Neither Gallo or I should ever show a rough cut of a movie to a public audience again.

modage

i am going to see this movie, but GB why did you have to bring up GERRY!??!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Just for you, my friend, just for you. :wink:

MacGuffin

"The Brown Bunny" Climaxes Atop the BOT
Source: indieWIRE

"The Brown Bunny" hopped atop the iW: BOT (indieWire: Box Office Tracker) as ranked on a per screen average basis apparently vindicating, at least initially, a film that was notoriously panned in Cannes of 2003, culminating in a now infamous exchange between its director Vincent Gallo and critic Roger Ebert. Fifteen months later, the two made up, while the feature won converts in pre-launch screenings, and grossed $50,601 on three screens ($16,867 per screen average) amid new controversy that garnered additional media interest after a sexually "explicit" billboard promoting the film went up on the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Crescent Heights in Los Angeles earlier this month.

"We were very happy. We had a lot going against us and our team worked pretty much around the clock for the last few months," commented Wellspring head of distribution, Ryan Werner to indieWIRE yesterday. "Vincent [Gallo] was involved every step of the way, and we were happy it paid off. The Sunshine (in New York) alone did $36,475 over the three-day weekend." Werner went on to say that "it's no secret we played up the controversy," but he commented that he was "happy" a number of critics ended up supporting the film. "Despite all the build-up, we knew in the end the film would have to speak for itself. We were really happy that Roger Ebert also reversed his opinion over the weekend giving the film 'Thumbs Up.'"

Werner also credited the film's performance to a large Gallo fan-base that has grown since the release of his acclaimed "Buffalo '66" in 1998, and what he described as "the real connection between Gallo and people that have shared the experiences he presented in his character" in "Buffalo." "A lot of people wrongly assume that it was just the hipsters that came... [but] it's a bigger array of people than [one] would expect." Gallo's appearance on Howard Stern, and his recent book-signing and two concerts (which he played with Sean Lennon) also raised the film's profile in New York. He will be in Los Angeles for events this week.

Wellspring will open "The Brown Bunny" in Boston, San Francisco, and Chicago this coming weekend, followed by a wider roll-out the following weekend. "We aren't going to open this too wide anywhere," concluded Werner, adding, "We want to keep it in the right theaters and make it an event." He also said he expected the film to be "pretty controversial" anywhere it opens.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

i saw this at the landmark sunshine cinema's yesterday here in new york. people started to make weird noises at certain parts of the movie. and with about 20 seconds left in the film, a small asian man wearing a yellow hard hat sat down in the front row and started eating a bannana. as everybody left, he stayed

MacGuffin

Quote from: meatwadand with about 20 seconds left in the film, a small asian man wearing a yellow hard hat sat down in the front row and started eating a bannana. as everybody left, he stayed

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanFreudian.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thrindle

Ebert said:
QuoteTo my shame, I did, but softly and briefly, before my wife dug her elbow into my side.
Not that it matters... but I thought Ebert was gay.  :?:
Classic.

©brad

not all hollywood people are gay. duh.

pete

he got married a little more than 10 years ago, to a chicago attorney.  lemme find a picture.

she's the one with the flowers on the right.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

he likes his women like i like my coffee. sweet.

pete

you like your coffee sweet?  that's gross.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

xerxes

Quote from: ©bradhe likes his women like i like my coffee. sweet.

covered in bees!

Thrindle

Quote from: ©bradnot all hollywood people are gay. duh.
Dude, I don't care how Hollywood you think he is.  I thought he was gay.
Classic.

Raikus

Quote from: ©bradnot all hollywood people are gay. duh.
But all Chicagans are.

I thing we're treading into questionable territory here. Let's abandon ship before the homosexuality/wife/"thumbs up" jokes start, eh?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ono

Quote from: ThrindleEbert said:
QuoteTo my shame, I did, but softly and briefly, before my wife dug her elbow into my side.
Not that it matters... but I thought Ebert was gay.  :?:
He may not be gay, but he sure does like lesbians ... and, well, just nekkid women in general.