The Upside Of Anger

Started by MacGuffin, March 11, 2005, 03:06:08 PM

Finn

Well I saw it tonight. And all I can is out of whatever preconceived ideas people might have about the film...it's excellent, really excellent. Costner and Allen were absolutely perfect in their roles and the rest of the actors were strong. The writing by Mike Binder is very sharp and quite hilarious. It does have a twist towards the end that did take me by surprise as well. I think it's easily the best film of the year so far (which probably isn't saying much out of all the junk released these past few months). I encourage everyone to see it and that's all I gotta say.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SiliasRuby

Saw this the other night. Wonderful film. Great performances by Kevin Costner and Joan allen. The ending was a surprise for me as well. When you get the chance I highly recommend seeing this film.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Thrindle

Every time I watch a movie, I hope to myself that this time it will be worth it... and this time it was.  I walked out of the theatre not wanting to reach the doorway, because when you step out, some of what you've just experienced is lost.
Classic.

modage

REALLY?  :shock:

are you in the right thread?  and if so, could you elaborate?  i havent been interested in this at all, but that statement is more interesting than anything i've heard on it thus far.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

yea mod its quite good. you would like it. like mac said (and its true).. it really is a joan allen film. it'll surprise you.

grand theft sparrow

Has anyone who liked it seen any other of Mike Binder's movies?  If so, can I get a comparison of some sort?  He's always been in Ed Burns/Eric Schaeffer territory for me.  I've tuned out from everything of his I've seen due to lack of interest (including Mind of the Married Man) so I'm pretty skeptical about Upside of Anger, despite the presence of Joan Allen.  But the glowing reviews that you guys are giving it are making me think about seeing this.

RegularKarate

Yeah, I need comparisons here... I see Costner and I want to punch him in his dumb fat nose.

Is the rest of the film good enough to get around that?  Don't say "Costner's really good in this" because he can't be to me.  He's never come close to being good enough to get around the gag reflex.

and "Mind of the Married Man" was boring.

Hacksparrow, you go see it.  Tell me what you think.

Thrindle

We all know that Kevin Costner plays the same drunk baseball player in every movie.  And though this movie is no exception, the difference this time around is that he didn't overact.  Costner was suprisingly believable and held up against Joan Allan (who was really great).

This movie was essentially character driven, and thoroughly honest.  It wasn't a perfect movie, but it was really well done.  Fuck, just go see it.
Classic.

MacGuffin

This movie confirms why Joan Allen is one of our finest actresses working today. She handles the balance between drama and comedy perfectly. She better be nominated for this role because I believe it's her finest performance yet. This movie respects its characters to the point of making the relationships believable, and thus the actors wear their roles well.

The soup slurping scene alone is reason enough worth seeing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinThis movie confirms why Joan Allen is one of our finest actresses working today. ...  She better be nominated for this role because I believe it's her finest performance yet.
see: YES
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 12, 2005, 10:32:54 PM
The soup slurping scene alone is reason enough worth seeing.
yeah that part was great and totally unexpected.  i watched this on HBO tonite and really enjoyed it.  its nice to watch something like this without the burden of expecting so much from it (as i do if i go to the theatre to see something, it'd better earn my time/money).  this was just good.  everyone was really good in this, and if it werent for the march release date (and the amount of bullshit that factors into the decisions) i'm sure joan allen would be up for an oscar, (& maybe costner too).  i've never seen keri russell in anything before but i was drawn to her though all the girls were good.  it was funny how the subject matter was really dark but the music always kept it somewhat 'light' like it's okay to laugh at this, don't take it that seriously.  i also kept waiting for the moment where the film became predictable (like daughter gets cancer, or daughters friend dies or something along those lines to bring them all together) and i'm glad that didn't happen though i was pretty shocked by the ending it didn't ruin it for me.  the film also seemed pretty accurate concerning women which is surprising that it comes from Mike Binder, who is incidentally a dude.  but it would've been nice to see more with the characters and the way it jumped forward in time so much this would've played out better as a TV show over a season or two.  or maybe i just watch too much tv now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

So, I saw that Paul Schrader included this on his top 10 of 2005 list, and that in addition to the positive comments here make me more curious to see this. . . . Kevin Costner shares the company of Mel Gibson and Bruce Willis in my category of "unbelievably, unbearably smug" actors--so unlike that smart, self-effacing George Clooney. But I might give this one a chance if I get the opportunity.

Did anyone catch Joan Allen in Yes? A very flawed but still remarkable film.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.