Exorcist: The Beginning/Dominion

Started by MacGuffin, June 10, 2004, 12:53:30 AM

MacGuffin

First Look at the Exorcist: The Beginning Trailer
Source: MTV

MTV has premiered the new trailer for Warner Bros.' Exorcist: The Beginning, opening August 20. The prequel traces the story of Father Lankester Merrin (Stellan SkarsgÄrd) back to his first encounter with the Devil in post-WWII Africa.

Director Renny Harlin tells MTV what he "tried to do is set up a lot of those unanswered questions that we see in the original. There are a lot of open plotlines that are never explained, so I tried to make it so that if you watch this film and then watch the original 'Exorcist,' the original will seem like the sequel."

You can check out the Windows Media trailer by clicking here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

What a crappy trailer.  What a crappy director.  And his explanation of what he was trying to do is the most retarded explanation of a prequel ever--to make the original seem like the sequel.  DUH.

End Mini-Vent.

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffin
"I tried to make it so that if you watch this film and then watch the original 'Exorcist,' the original will seem like the sequel."

I think you misquoted him.  It should say.  
"I tried to make it so that if you watch this film and then watch the original "Exorcist," the original will seem that much better."
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mogwai

Pwaybloe

Well, that explains the killer from Scream.  It's been killing me (ha ha!) for forever.

RegularKarate

that isn't making sense to me...

if you're serious... the killer from Scream's mask is from the Edvard Munch painting The Scream.

If you're kidding... I'm sorry I missed the joke.

Quote from: RegularKarate
if you're serious... the killer from Scream's mask is from the Edvard Munch painting The Scream.

isn't the mask based on a very old movie character called father death?
context, context, context.

RegularKarate

Well, I don't know this for a fact... maybe it cam from father death... it just only makes sense that the mask looks like the head of the figure in the painting and the painting is called "The Scream"... I believe you can even buy a scream mask that is decorated with the colors from the painting.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: RegularKaratethat isn't making sense to me...

If you're kidding... I'm sorry I missed the joke.

Well, it was a joke.  I figured it was apparent in the second sentence.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I don't know you guys, it looks kind of scary :drinking:
I like to hug dogs

Finn

I don't how this movie's gonna be. The only Exorcist movie that worked for me was the original. So it's hard to imagine this being just as good or an improvement. But the trailer's pretty cool.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Just Withnail

Trailer was okey, but no matter how good it had been, there would have been that voice in the back of my head whispering "Renny Harlin made this...". The one thing that really got me in the trailer was the use of Tubular Bells in the end, and if all this has going for it is nostalgia for the first one, well...I'm still praying for the Paul Schrader version on DVD.

Derek

It sure doesn't seem in line with the original...it might be just the trailer, but there seems to be a lot of manufactured scary beats, if that makes any sense. The original was very real and organic, I saw a lot of 'Turn around slowly, look at the terror behind me!' shots in The Beginning trailer. I want to see Schrader's version too, maybe Warners was right and it did suck, but I doubt it. I feel sorry for Stellan for having to do this shit twice.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.