Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 87025 times)

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +209
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »
+2
He started it around the PDL era, but really mastered it around the release of CMBB. In the Charlie Rose interview with him and DDL they just keep looking at each other and giggling and not giving him anything, its awesome.

His first three films he couldn't shut up about, especially Boogie Nights and Magnolia. I wonder if he just got sick of hearing himself talk, or tapped into the idea that people would respect him and the work more if he started playing the role of mysterious genius instead of hyperactive film nerd (which QT was already the king of).

There's something to Plainview's line about not wanting to explain himself that feels personal, it definitely coincided with his interview and filmmaking style becoming more and more elliptical.

jviness02

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
+8

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +398
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
That's a good interview.
Some people have a fear of snakes. That was a somewhat rational fear. And you could do something about it at least. Stay away from long grass and nature documentaries. Easy. Others have a fear of heights. That was manageable too. Avoid tall ladders. But how do you cope when your fear is something you can’t avoid? That you have no hope of staying away from? Being afraid of the sky, where are you going to go?

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1466
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
+1
Pure non-spoiler highlights:

"The film, quite simply, is not done."

"I know how to point the camera in a good direction, and I know a few things. But I’m not a director of photography."

"Then the process of writing it was really the two of us together, quite honestly. I’d give him things as I was writing. Rather than go away and write a script and try to impress him, I was collaborating with him each step of the way as I was going, which was very helpful in terms of forming the story and the character."
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +586
« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »
Who recently said that he was impressed by how much PTA knew about technical stuff? With The Master, I'm sure he was kind of his own DP already. The Master and IV look the same even if Elswit came back in between.
I'm so many people.

axxonn

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
+1
Who recently said that he was impressed by how much PTA knew about technical stuff? With The Master, I'm sure he was kind of his own DP already. The Master and IV look the same even if Elswit came back in between.

I don't agree.

Little Ronnie Howard

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
+3
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG10275681/The-mysterious-Cristobal-Balenciaga.html

Quote from this article:

"Balenciaga did not appear at the openings of his collections. Nor did clients see him for fittings as a rule. He watched the shows from the doorway to the ateliers, peeking through a small hole in the curtains."

I guess the scene from the trailer where Reynolds is looking though a hole is directly taken from this article.

Also, Lesley Manville's character seems to be based on Mlle Renée, whose character is Reynolds' sister in the movie.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »
+1
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG10275681/The-mysterious-Cristobal-Balenciaga.html

What a fascinating article.  I especially enjoyed this:

For many, a Balenciaga show was the closest fashion gets to a religious experience. As the Vogue editor-in-chief Diana Vreeland put it, 'One fainted. It was possible to blow up and die. I remember at one show in the early 1960s… Audrey Hepburn turned to me and asked why I wasn't frothing at the mouth at what I was seeing. I told her I was trying to act calm and detached because, after all, I was a member of the press. Across the way Gloria Guinness was sliding out of her chair on to the floor. Everyone was going up in foam and thunder.'

There's another marquee quote:  "Everyone was going up in foam and thunder".   
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #338 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
+1
Wonder if DDL will be wearing "himself" at the premiere?
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

csage97

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #339 on: November 02, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »

They don't look the same at all.

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
Important side observation on that EW article: PTA keeps getting better looking.

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +586
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »

They don't look the same at all.

Do people agree with me? I'm saying it as a gut feeling. Of course, IV has different colors, but there is a mood in the pictures that isn't only linked to his new directing style. But maybe I am wrong.

I'm so many people.

DocSportello

• The Road of Trials
  • Let It Ride
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
“I’m a large aficionado of those large Gothic romance movies as the old masters might do them. What I like about those kinds of love stories is that they’re very suspenseful. A good dollop of suspense with a love story is a nice combination.”

Anybody care to take some guesses as to what films PTA might be referring to here? What are some good, large Gothic romance movies with a hint of suspense from old masters? I think I’ve got some catching up to do.

wilder

• Respect: +1843
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
+1
He mentioned Rebecca (1940) in that very interview.

DocSportello

• The Road of Trials
  • Let It Ride
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »
Well, yes, caught that. Suppose I should have asked if anyone knows of any other large gothic romance movies with a hint of suspense from the old masters. I’ll google it.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy