Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Started by MacGuffin, February 17, 2003, 02:42:48 AM

MacGuffin

DreamWorks Fansite reports that the new issue of Cinescape magazine included quotes from Steven Spielberg on Indiana Jones 4.

Spielberg confirmed that Sean Connery, Karen Allen and Kate Capshaw will indeed return. Connery will have a small role, appearing in the beginning and towards the end of the film, he added. The leading females will also make appearances but not as lengthy as their original roles.

He did not mention a shooting date for the film, we'll have to wait and see if the project gets going this year or next
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Lightsoutentertainment got a chance to interview some stars as they strolled down the red carpet for the premiere of Dreamcatcher on Tuesday night!

Frank Darabont was there and briefly spoke about Indiana Jones 4. He said "Those pesky Nazis seem to have departed, which is a shame, because I like those pesky Nazis, because you can just squash them all over the place"

You can see the full interview in Quicktime video by clicking on Indy.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Frank Darabont on Indiana Jones 4
Source: Alameda Times-Star, TheRaider.net  Saturday, August 9, 2003

Writer/director Frank Darabont talked to the Alameda Times-Star about penning Indiana Jones 4, which is targeted for a July, 2005 release.

"I absolutely don't want to do things like having him say, 'I'm getting to old for this s---,' " says Darabont. "I don't want to be slipping and sliding in cliches. This character is no longer in the 1930s. He has to age honestly. He's got to be in the 1950s."

He doesn't sound too worried about taking on such an indelible character. Darabont likes going from the director's chair to the screenwriter's lair.

"Clearly, you are using different muscles," he says. "One is a very isolated, focused endeavor. The other is a wildly not isolated incredibly focused effort."

He describes working on the Indiana Jones script as a "total blast." Darabont worked with Spielberg on the film "Saving Private Ryan," doing uncredited screenwriting work.

"Let's face it, what's not to like about Indiana Jones," he says. "I saw the first movie in 1981, five years before I started my writing career. Who knew I would grow up to write the sequel."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I notice Speilberg does some things in twos.  Hook and Jurassic Park had exotic, colorful sets. AI and Minority Report look the same and are set in the future. Catch Me If You Can has alot about planes and Terminal shall too. Whoo.

modage

Indiana Jones IV
Source: Empire Online

Empire talked with Producer Frank Marshall recently who revealed the next film will rely more on practical effects than computer-generated trickery - "One of the things I enjoy about these movies is that they do recall the old cliffhanger serials of the thirties and forties. We didn't have computer effects in those days, we couldn't easily erase things and I think one of the unfortunate by-products of the computer age is that it makes filmmakers lazy...In Raiders, that's a real ball rolling behind him so Harrison really is in some danger running in front of that; these are real situations and that adds to the excitement and the creative energy on the set. We're not done with the script on Indy 4 but I think we're going to try and rely, like the first two movies, on realism and not try to do too many things with the computer...When you start getting into computers you get fantastical situations like in the Matrix or movies like that. We don't want that, we want exciting heroism, we want seat-of-your-pants, skin-of-your-teeth action. We didn't have all the money in the world on the first films and we want to keep that B-Movie feel. We want to make Indy 4 like we made the first three".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Yay!

And when they did use CGI it was damn scary - the swirling, angleic spirits that suddenly turn into ghouls after the ark is opened.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

mutinyco

That wasn't CGI. They didn't use CGI back then. It was all optical. CGI didn't start to become a real force until around 1988 or so...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Redlum

Really!? If you could provide any further information into that process (not neccessarily just for Raiders) it would be much appreciated.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Disc 4 in the DVD box set will give you more info with this featurette:

The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones - In an era before computer-generated effects existed, Industrial Light and Magic managed to bring to life the unique world of Indiana Jones by using groundbreaking techniques in special and mechanical effects. The ILM wizards reveal how they employed miniatures, matte paintings, morphing and more to make Indy's spectacular quests and supernatural adventures believable.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: Frank Marshall, producerWe're not done with the script on Indy 4 but I think we're going to try and rely, like the first two movies, on realism and not try to do too many things with the computer...When you start getting into computers you get fantastical situations like in the Matrix or movies like that. We don't want that, we want exciting heroism, we want seat-of-your-pants, skin-of-your-teeth action. We didn't have all the money in the world on the first films and we want to keep that B-Movie feel. We want to make Indy 4 like we made the first three.

In the new Premiere, Steven Spielberg says "I think the fourth film is going to include some digital stunts, because I dont want to put anybody in jeopardy.  Also, some of the things that are truly spectacular to watch will be done digitally, in order to keep up with the Jonses, so to speak."

Find Your Magali

modage

John Rhys-Davies & Kate Capshaw on Indiana Jones 4
Source: Fox News Sunday, October 26, 2003

Fox News chatted with "Indiana Jones" series stars John Rhys-Davies ("The Lord of the Rings" trilogy) and Kate Capshaw about Indiana Jones 4 and possibly even more films.

John Rhys-Davies, who played Indie's faithful friend Sallah in "Raiders" and "Last Crusade," said he would love to reprise the role but that the project hinges on Spielberg, Lucas and Harrison.

"None of these guys are in it for the money, anymore," he said. "If they're doing it at all, it's got to be better and more remarkable than any one of the `Indiana Jones' films before. And that's a pretty tall order."

Spielberg's wife, Capshaw, was coy about the future during a question-and-answer session last weekend to promote the DVD release.

"There is a lot of demand for a '4' — and no doubt a 5, 6, 7 and 8 — I think George would just make as many as [Harrison and Spielberg] would like," Capshaw told Fox News later. "As long as you have those two guys interested, there will be another 'Indiana Jones.'"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Official Word on Indiana Jones 4
Source: TheRaider.net Monday, October 27, 2003

TheRaider.net has received an official update from Lucasfilm regarding Indiana Jones 4.

Currently, work is continuing on a final version of the screenplay for Indiana Jones 4, and and once all parties have signed off on the script and schedules permit, shooting will begin. Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford and George Lucas are all returning for this fourth Indiana Jones adventure. At this time, we have no details about the plot or other actors.

Duck Sauce

one of the best things about Indy 4 is that George Lucas may be doing something non SW related

modage

Frank Marshall Talks Indiana Jones 4
Source: Indiana Jones Hub Monday, November 17, 2003

In a new interview with producer Frank Marshall at Indiana Jones Hub, he talked a bit more about Indiana Jones 4.

"It's going to totally be in the style and the tone of the first three. I mean, were not going to do anything different. We're not going to try and change things or modernize things. We're going to stick to what works, and we're probably going to be in the fifties. So, we're acknowledging that we're all a bit older and that's about all I can tell you except that Frank Darabont is writing it."

The complete interview is available at the link here... http://indianajones.ugo.com/movies/news.php?id=98

MacGuffin

Frank Darabont Completes Indiana Jones 4 Script
Source: Variety

In a Variety article talking about Frank Darabont's Darkwoods Productions company signing a three-year first-look production deal with Paramount, he mentions that he has completed the script for the long-awaited Indiana Jones 4, which may shoot this year with Harrison Ford starring, Steven Spielberg directing and George Lucas executive producing. Paramount is hoping to distribute the film in 2005. "I've finished my work, so now it's in the hands of God, or Spielberg and Lucas if you prefer," said Darabont.

Skeleton FilmWorks