Underworld

Started by MacGuffin, July 24, 2003, 12:08:49 AM

Banky

man, i was excited a couple of months ago when i saw the trailer for this film

Myxo

Quote from: Bankyman, i was excited a couple of months ago when i saw the trailer for this film

As the Washington Post put it,

"It needs a wooden stake AND a silver bullet through its script."

Amen to that.

penfold0101

____Small Spoilers here in_____

I loved the action.
I loved the style.
You gotta like Kate Beckinsale in the PVC and Leather!
I felt drawn out, like it could have been 100 minuets long.
Lots of the dialogue was soo forced n crappy.
There was some questionable acting
The writers changed/ignored some of the rules for both the vampires and werewolf's. most importantly (imho) the vampires had reflections, something i saw as a defining characteristic of a vampire and they don't seem to be undead, Selene passes out from blood loss, she doesn't need to be invited to go into Michaels home, she coughs up water (she shouldn't be breathing if she's undead) when she's pulled out of the water and the CGI of the pumping heart (again not if your dead).
the vampires appeared to be humans with pointy teeth and some regenerative properties!
I was also a bit disappointed that they didn't feed on humans any more.

I would watch it again.
But maybe its one of those films which are better with a group of drunk mates.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

MacGuffin

Get Ready for Underworld 2 & 3!
Source: Variety

Underworld is set to become a trilogy for Lakeshore Entertainment and Screen Gems. Screen Gems has made a deal for Danny McBride and Len Wiseman to write a sequel to the vampire and werewolf thriller, which Wiseman has said he would again direct.

Screen Gems and Lakeshore hope to put the second film into production as soon as possible. A third film, a prequel, could follow. No deal is in place for star Kate Beckinsale, though she has expressed interest in reprising her part.

The first film earned $21.8 million last weekend, Screen Gems' best opening for a film ever.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffinGet Ready for Underworld 2 & 3!
Source: Variety

Underworld is set to become a trilogy for Lakeshore Entertainment and Screen Gems. Screen Gems has made a deal for Danny McBride and Len Wiseman to write a sequel to the vampire and werewolf thriller, which Wiseman has said he would again direct.

Screen Gems and Lakeshore hope to put the second film into production as soon as possible. A third film, a prequel, could follow. No deal is in place for star Kate Beckinsale, though she has expressed interest in reprising her part.

The first film earned $21.8 million last weekend, Screen Gems' best opening for a film ever.

They should call it..

Underworld Reloaded
Underworld Revolutions

ShanghaiOrange

I just saw this movie. It was better than Romeo and Juliet. In fact, it was better than anything Shakespeare has ever done.

I can't wait to play the video game. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Cecil

Duke

Such Humor.

Any i havent seen it yet, but it looks good. Probably not an oscar winner, but hey, it looks like its okay.

Alethia

Quote from: DukeProbably not an oscar winner

....but that's okay, though.....

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRThe filtered look (blues and greys) looks great in the trailer but doesn't work for an entire film.

i agree.

Quote from: SHAFTRI have no urge to ever see it again.

this movie was so blah.  by the last 20 minutes i was just like END ALREADY!  not that i was expecting much.  i thought it might be a little cheesier than it was, but that might have made it a little fun.  it took itself way too seriously and just wasnt very entertaining.  such a fun concept though.  oh well.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

I kinda had the same reaction to this movie as I did with "League of Extraordinary Fuckos." I was expecting bad, but it really wasn't. It was an alright action flick, but it did owe a lot to "The Matrix". I didn't mind the blue hue cinematography. The CGI and make-up effects were very well done, not calling attention to themselves and done sporatically. Kate Beckinsale was very good in this action role. The camera adored her, whether firing the guns or even with the looks through her hair over her face. She was worth watching. Wish I could say the same for the guy playing Kraven, but his acting was one note, heavy breathing and yelling through his teeth.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Arriving in January will be the Blade look alike Underworld starring Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman. The official announcement from Columbia has yet to arrive but already we have a look at the artwork and a few of the disc specs thanks to reader Bill Davidson. The disc itself will be available to own in seperate widescreen and fullscreen releases from the 6th January next year. The retail price for each of these is set at around $28.95. Both widescreen and fullscreen releases will carry director and writer commentaries, four featurettes, a music video, storyboards and more.

modage

i was gonna post this earlier, but wasnt' sure if there was even one person here who actually liked the movie enough to care.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02i was gonna post this earlier, but wasnt' sure if there was even one person here who actually liked the movie enough to care.

Lol..i agree is ther any one who wants to pick that up^^^^^^^?

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYis ther any one who wants to pick that up^^^^^^^?

Yes.

Skeleton FilmWorks