The Amazing Spider-Man

Started by MacGuffin, November 01, 2007, 12:36:55 AM

Derek

I think its going to be tough to find a good director interested in starting over a franchise launched in the last decade.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek on January 12, 2010, 04:32:20 PM
I think its going to be tough to find a good director interested in starting over a franchise launched in the last decade.

there is no shortage of directors willing to make a buck.

it's no different than what Leterrier did with Incredible Hulk, and in fact maybe this is a superior position to be in since common sense should hav told us that no one wanted to see that franchise continue , reinvention or no reinvention, and at least you know there are millions of chumps ready to go see  4th of anything that has made hundreds of millions: Pirates, Indy.
under the paving stones.

pete

I was thinking about how silly these reboots are before I realized that the comicbooks do them all the time.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on January 12, 2010, 10:09:47 PM
I was thinking about how silly these reboots are before I realized that the comicbooks do them all the time.

It's an accepted norm in the comic book world. And besides, when a new comic will rehash an old series, they usually do it for the point of schewing the original template and obscuring the norm (for better or worse) of the said comic series. The film reboots are new to Hollywood lore, but each attempt represents a new ploy by Hollywood to find what will appeal to every American. With a few exceptions, the only way to make logical sense of each rebooted franchise is to try to understand how each update appeals more to everyday people than the original. You have to find marketing and business fascinating to give a shit.

matt35mm

I wish we wouldn't say reboot and legitimize that word.  It just makes me think about how these movies are not computers.  Instead, I propose the term "dick with," or "fucking back to life," as one might try to do with a corpse.  These movies are more like corpses than computers, anyway.

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mm on January 12, 2010, 11:32:31 PM
I wish we wouldn't say reboot and legitimize that word.  It just makes me think about how these movies are not computers.  Instead, I propose the term "dick with," or "fucking back to life," as one might try to do with a corpse.  These movies are more like corpses than computers, anyway.

How 'bout "de-Emo-ize?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Fuck comic book movies. The best ones have already been done so now they're just going to do them over. Hilarious.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: matt35mm on January 12, 2010, 11:32:31 PM
Instead, I propose the term "dick with," or "fucking back to life," as one might try to do with a corpse.

"Fuckstart"
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

modage

Will Sony Spin Spidey Reboot With Webb?
Source: Deadline Hollywood

Marc Webb, the (500) Days Of Summer director, has climbed to the top of the Sony Pictures' list to rebirth the Spider-Man franchise. While the studio has a wish list of star directors like James Cameron, David Fincher, and Wes Anderson, the emergence of Webb as director comes as a huge surprise. But Mike Fleming's sources tell him Webb met about the Spidey reboot with the pic's producers and executives looking to get the picture into production later this year for a Summer 2012 release. Why will the pic take so long? Because it's likely to be shot in 3-D, and Sony Pictures plans to make an announcement about that "at the appropriate time".

Though he has the perfect name for the job, Webb has no prior superhero experience. (Hey, I saw Darkman and that was more of a science experiment that a superhero.) Then again, neither did Sam Raimi. And Chris Nolan was the director of Memento when he signed on for Batman Begins. Webb is also a newbie if Sony greenlights 3-D. But among directors, almost all would be.  

What has Sony execs excited is the fact that (500) Days of Summer introduced a director with a grasp of how to depict the way young people think and feel. This is critical because the Jamie Vanderbilt script covers the formative years of a high school-aged Peter Parker, and that POV is as important as the action sequences. Especially after Sony and Sam Raimi retired the original Spidey franchise because they realized the film would have been same old/same old at a huge budget. Injecting new blood with an up-and-coming director is a bold stroke. Too bad Webb's (500) Days star Joseph Gordon-Levitt is too old to play the high school-aged wall crawler. He'd be perfect.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Wes Anderson's Spider-Man!! have they seen a Wes Anderson film? that would be amazing though.

i will root for Webb.

modage

Vulture Exclusive: Sony Offers (500) Days of Summer Director Marc Webb the Next Three Spider-Mans

Vulture can report that Sony will imminently announce a deal with (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb to direct not one, but three Spider-Man movies in a rebooted franchise that will focus far more on the private life of Peter Parker.

Webb, whose (500) Days scored a Golden Globe nomination and whose name seems to have predestined him for this job, has long been a favorite of Columbia chairman Amy Pascal. We're told that last year she very nearly hired him to direct the adaptation of Michael Lewis's Moneyball after she pulled the plug on Steven Soderbergh three days before shooting. She ultimately chose Bennett Miller (Capote), thinking that Moneyball might be hurt by Webb's whimsical style, but she views him as a latter-day Cameron Crowe for the economically and socially angsty Generation Y, and thinks he'd be perfect to explore the conflict within Parker.

Webb's other big appeal? He's much cheaper than the old Spider-Man crew. The deal just now being sewn up calls for Webb to be paid roughly $10 million for the first film, with substantial bonuses built in if the picture reaches certain box-office milestones. (Coincidentally, Webb's deal is being hammered out by the Gersh Agency, the feisty boutique which first put Tobey Maguire into the webslinger's suit a decade ago.) This is a big savings from how his predecessor Sam Raimi was compensated. Unlike the now-departed Raimi, Webb won't be getting paid a percentage of the films' grosses. Compare that to Spider-Man 4, for which Raimi and star Tobey Maguire were expected to claim more than 25 percent of the gross.

It's not just a case of Hollywood exploiting a young director; it's a matter of survival. The ground has shifted dramatically as of late. With the recent dramatic collapse of the DVD market (sales were down 17 percent in the last three months, compared with the same time last year), Sony had become genuinely worried that with a high-price cast and director, the Spider-Man franchise wouldn't make the studio any money at all in theaters. In fact, we're told that only longtime producer Laura Ziskin and former Marvel Entertainment CEO Avi Arad are getting gross participation on the new films, and then only because their contracts stipulated as much.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/marc_webb_new_director_of_spid.html#ixzz0d6NHSM9r
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

He's directed some of the worst music videos in history.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Whatever he does with this opportunity, it wont be worse than Spider-Man 3. 

Stefen

It could be close. Emo Peter Parker is only a tad worse than Good Charlotte/pop-punk Peter Parker.