Gerry

Started by Ghostboy, March 06, 2003, 11:04:17 PM

Weak2ndAct

I thought it was a strangling.

godardian

Quote from: Weak2ndActI thought it was a strangling.

Good lord, I'm gonna hafta see this again.

Anyone else??
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

yeah i did too.  a mercy killing, cause it looked like casey had said something to him along those lines asking him to do it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Yes, Casey says something like "I'm done" or "I'm leaving" ... I was pretty sure that it was strangling, though it was pretty awkward and it took me a while to realize it. I could be wrong.

MacGuffin

That's the way I saw it too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

spoils

yeah the killing wasn't very clear but the mercy aspect made perfect sense. it doesn't look like ur average choke hold cos they were weak and casey wanted it.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Spoiling****

Godardian, you big, dumb bozo
you thought Damon was given his buddy one last steamroller for shits and yuks?

Jake_82

Quote from: godardianDid anyone else notice that most of the music used in Gerry was also very prominent in Heaven? And I mean exactly the same recordings and everything? Worked well for both, really beautiful stuff. Guess Tykwer stole from van Sant and not the other way around, since apparently Gerry is from 2001 (it got just a really weird, fucked-up, belated release, though... I had to think for a while about which film came first, and I'm still not 100% certain). The music in Gerry that wasn't from Heaven sounded Eno-ish to me, but apparently it wasn't Eno.

Gerry used this neo-classical album basically as its entire score, Heaven also uses much of the album as its score, and I'm not exactly sure if it's the same music (since the movie came out two years earlier than Amazon says the album was released),  but Hilary and Jackie also uses really similar-sounding stuff in one part. Additionally, a horrible local theater production of "The Little Prince" used the music.

THE END!
your reality is at the end of your dream

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarateSpoiling****

Godardian, you big, dumb bozo
you thought Damon was given his buddy one last steamroller for shits and yuks?

no no no.... more like "physical comfort at moment of death" seemed much more in keeping with the film's tone than "strangling." If you know me at all, you know that the thought of Matt Damon and Casey Affleck dry-humping does nothing for me.

Anyway, it really was a nebulous moment- looking around the 'net, I found nothing definite, only "in what may be a mercy killing" (maybe MacGuff knows of an in-depth article that really specifically gives the spoilers and spells it out in no uncertain terms, though maybe that's exactly what the movie is trying to avoid...? actually MacG has a copy, if I remember correctly, so maybe he'll have a comment), etc. So I'm going to buy my own copy of the damn thing, as I've been planning to do, and rewatch it and see where my error might be.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianAnyway, it really was a nebulous moment- looking around the 'net, I found nothing definite, only "in what may be a mercy killing" (maybe MacGuff knows of an in-depth article that really specifically gives the spoilers and spells it out in no uncertain terms, though maybe that's exactly what the movie is trying to avoid...?

Try this:
http://www.horschamp.qc.ca/new_offscreen/gerry.html

At the bottom of the article (Reverse angle of the "tortoise"-walk) discusses the 'strangling'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jake_82

Quote from: godardianAnyway, it really was a nebulous moment- looking around the 'net, I found nothing definite, only "in what may be a mercy killing" (maybe MacGuff knows of an in-depth article that really specifically gives the spoilers and spells it out in no uncertain terms, though maybe that's exactly what the movie is trying to avoid...? actually MacG has a copy, if I remember correctly, so maybe he'll have a comment), etc. So I'm going to buy my own copy of the damn thing, as I've been planning to do, and rewatch it and see where my error might be.

I've read a few articles where Van Sant talks about the strangling, and specifically that he based the movie on an idea he got from a real newspaper article, where two friends get lost in the desert and one of them dies, the other claims it was dehydration, but they later find out that he murdered his friend.

Filmmaker magazine Fall 2003, talking about how Elephant and Gerry were both adapted from 'one-liner' news stories:

"Gus Van Sant: ... In the case of Gerry, two friends walk through the desert, get lost, one kills the other and makes his way to the road, not realizing they were never really far from the road in the first place."
your reality is at the end of your dream

godardian

Thanks much, MacG!

I like explanations 2 and 3 best... And I think it's because Affleck's Gerry said "I'm leaving" that I just didn't get that Damon was actually strangling him. I translated "I'm leaving" to "I'm dying" and would've thought killing a dying man is redundant. It would even seem to me to be too late for a mercy killing... I guess I thought delirium, exhaustion, and dehydration made for very awkward physical movements, and it was a sort of an attempt at a clutching at life, "Don't go" or good-bye hug type of thing.

But apparently, I was at least half missing something very important.

Again,  :oops: .  Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for me.

SoNowThen

I finally saw this last night. It was a real nice thing to watch. Kinda like an antidote to the normal problems of standard coverage and plot. A good fresh air film for filmmakers -- though I can't imagine anybody else being even remotely interested in it.

To contribute to the discussion, my first impression definitely was that he strangled Casey, but I wasn't struck by any mercy aspect. It just looked like Matt had finally snapped...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Spoilers possible.

Just got done watching this.  Pretty much everything I could say has been said.  Cinematography beautiful.  What dialogue there was was funny.  And yes, Damon killed Affleck.  I usually always watch films with the captions on, and it indicates a choking sound as the camera pans away from the death scene.  The ha-ha irony at the end of the film could go either way, and yeah, you could very easily love or hate this film.  It was so much done with so little, I'll give it that.  Lesson of the story, I guess, is you can never wait too long (never give up hope), however silly that may sound.  I don't get the praise for it, and I can understand mod-age's hatred for it, but I do appreciate it.  If you're curious and still haven't seen it, I'd say watch it once, but don't expect too much, and don't go into it tired.  The first 10 minutes alone (driving, driving, driving) could lull you to sleep.  *** (7/10)