Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Fernando

Called it.

Quote from: Fernando on June 02, 2015, 10:29:43 PM
can you imagine a giant white walker? he would end all, they'd probably need a catapult full of dragon glass to beat that thing.

and not one, three that we saw...

It just occurred to me that when Bran meets Jon and Sansa and tell them who really Jon is son of, because of the way he is, I think he will step aside and Sansa will take the northern throne since she would be the only Stark that can do so, obviously Bran is out and Arya if she lives wont be interested in that.

OK I'm saying it like it's a given, maybe he doesn't meet both but at least one of them, Jon seems the logical choice if he goes to Castle Black for Ghost, or Bran takes Ghost to Winterfell...

Now if Sansa becomes Queen of the North, who will she choose to marry if it comes to that? Won't be her fucking cousin or LF, that's for sure...  :yabbse-undecided:

Jeremy Blackman

It happened again! I got a theory of mine read on the most popular (and also best) Game of Thrones podcast! Which actually hit #1 on iTunes earlier this week. So technically I was on the most popular podcast in the world. (?)

The theory itself is slightly bonkers. But it was late Sunday night and I couldn't resist...

CLIP

Lottery

Curious idea. Though honestly, anything other than Jaime himself will be disappointing regarding Valonqar.

That or Euron after he wins her over and goes into ultra horrific murder mode (who is Balon's little brother).

Alternatively GRRM sidesteps all this theorising and prophecy-twisting and plays it straight and has Tyrion straight up choke Cersei to death.

Jeremy Blackman

Cersei already burned much of King's Landing to a crisp, butchering untold numbers of civilians (D&D say "hundreds, probably thousands"), using wildfire in the way Jaime has been trying to prevent his whole life. And Cersei's actions led to the death of their last child. What else could she do to actually enrage Jaime? I'm open to that possibility, and it's the conventional wisdom. Just saying, many of those shoes have already dropped.

Lottery

Honestly, I'm pretty mad that Jaime didn't react more heavily to Cersei's Mad King act. It made no sense to me.
Admittedly, I can't think up many potential scenarios but I'm positive Jaime will drop her before the end of the show. His arc has stagnated a little but I'm hopeful he'll find his dignity again. This is a dude who gave up his legacy and reputation for the greater good. For all the bad Jaime has done, Cersei is truly  beyond the point of no return. Jaime's skeptical of all her in pretty much every respect now. Cersei's story has been one of gradual isolation and I expect it to continue that way.

Cersei's downfall is imminent anyway. Nobles and common folk hate her. She has no funds. Her city is cut-off, unsupported and partially destroyed. Her army might still be in recovery. Everyone is in open rebellion to her, I don't think she has any actual supporters left. Jaime obviously inspires more loyalty in the military than her. After all that's happened, her mind is probably gone. I just hope she gets offed in a personal way.

EDIT:
Euron is the wildcard of course. He'll shake things up in a meaningful way otherwise he's a pointless character.

Drenk

Give Jaime time. There are six episodes left.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm open to it. Just seems there was not enough emotional setup for that in the premiere. Is Jaime really that cold and calculating? He seemed depressed more than angry. No signs whatsoever that he is furious about what she's done. But that could be attributed to bad directing.

We got a whole scene late last season with Jaime reaffirming his undying loyalty to Cersei. And Jaime has a somewhat separate responsibility to the Lannister armed forces. So what will Cersei have to do? Probably more mad king stuff? Torturing people in public, etc. I can see that.

The next 2 episodes, by the way, are directed by Mark Mylod, the worst Game of Thrones director. So buckle up. Then Jeremy Podeswa comes back to end the season. Strange choices.

Drenk

I think he can't react immediately to what Cersei did. But he'll do something once the shock is gone. The same it takes time for Trump to be impeached despite all the obvious insanity in front of our eyes.

Of course, I'm not 100% sure about that. Maybe his love won't let him kill her. But I think he'll try.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

WTF, I just saw my theory being presented to GoT cast members on Twitter's Comic-Con feed! Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm) said "mind blown" and did the explody gesture with his hands. Sophie Turner said it was 10/10 certain. Surreal...

Obviously it's no so out-there that people can't be coming up with this possibility independently. And I found an instance of this theory (though not in the same form) as early as last month. So it could be a coincidence. But the wording of the question was strikingly similar to mine, and that podcast ep aired yesterday. I giggled with glee.

polkablues

Can you summarize your theory here (for posterity and because I don't want to have to listen to the podcast)?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Oh my gosh, it's all in the first 40 seconds of the clip I posted.

But I'll post what I emailed them, with 2 things added:

What if Arya assassinates Jaime, acquires his face, then kills Cersei?

This seems like a convenient way for Arya to get close to Cersei. It also allows Jaime to be the Valonqar, in a way. And it means Jaime and Cersei die around the same time. [that's also part of the lore, see this]

I imagine this would happen in the season finale during some sort of chaos. [they didn't read this paragraph and it wouldn't need to happen that way, but it would be a big way to end this season]

polkablues

What am I, made of 40 seconds?

I actually didn't catch on that the link you posted was just the relevant clip, not the whole podcast. My bad.

Also, I like your theory.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Thanks. Still not sure I'd bet on it happening. For fans, I think it would be disappointing in some ways — less emotional catharsis and redemption for Jaime — but it would undercut expectations while still being true to the foreshadowing. And it would give Arya a mindblowing victory.

So I don't know, what would be more satisfying, that moment for Arya, or more redemption for Jaime? I'm not sure I can get all that excited about Jaime anymore, unless he starts showing some serious torment.

Drenk

I don't like what Arya became in the books (before Martin doesn't seem to know what he is doing with her) and in the show. She's a list. With her powers, yes, she can just kill who she wants to kill. But there's no catharsis for me...
Ascension.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 22, 2017, 03:04:53 PM
What if Arya assassinates Jaime, acquires his face, then kills Cersei?

This seems like a convenient way for Arya to get close to Cersei. It also allows Jaime to be the Valonqar, in a way. And it means Jaime and Cersei die around the same time. [that's also part of the lore, see this]

I imagine this would happen in the season finale during some sort of chaos. [they didn't read this paragraph and it wouldn't need to happen that way, but it would be a big way to end this season]

That's a good theory but can the show afford to get rid of them both this season? Which villains would be left off? WW and Euron, LF too perhaps, doesn't seem enough for next season.

Regardless of what happens, I think Cersei must have at least one more victory, probably against Dorne.