I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

WorldForgot

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot rulez ~ Might be my favorite Eastwood role. Lightfoot really knowz how to stretch.

putneyswipe

I'm a Cimino stan. Maybe my favorite road movie ever

Alethia

wilder

Arrow is also running a sale, July 1st-21st

Arrow US
Arrow UK
Arrow Canada

jenkins

well wilder i'm ready to ride this Nico Mastorakis wave now. Island of Death and Hired to Kill seem rather essential. does The Zero Boys suck? it's okay if one of them sucks but if not i might go all in on him. for whatever reason The Wind is on the canada site but not the usa site, rude because same region

later realized The Wind is on the usa site but not part of the sale that's very very rude

wilder

I can't weigh in on those three.

jenkins

shit but look at those special features too. it's hard for me to figure out the right thing to do here because it's both true that deplorable moral bankruptcy doesn't phase me and i think Cannibal Holocaust is junk i don't need in my life for example

ooh i read his full review and cross referenced at imdb and Island of Death is junk i don't need in my life

jenkins

i've taken my uncertainty on a different route, so now i don't know how to choose between AKIO JISSOJI and KIJU YOSHIDA, thinking to go there instead of toward JOSE LARRAZ, but also considering him enough to mention him, and probably one of those with THE BLOODTHIRSTY TRILOGY, maybe, potentially overlooking THE COMPLETE SARTANA this whole time

wilder

Your post made me realize I thought Jissoji and Yoshida were the same person. I'd seen bad quality rips of Jissoji's Mandara  and Yoshida's Eros + Massacre years ago. They're both minimalist, partially black & white - I think you can see how I could have confused them:

Mandara:

Eros + Massacre:

Arrow has a write-up: 'Where to begin with Akio Jossoji?'

From the caps on DVDBeaver Yoshida looks more interesting to me. They also reviewed the Jissoji box set if you want to compare.

Re: Larraz, I think you already ordered Symptoms? Did you not? Check that one out first before leaping for Arrow's Blood Hunger box set, which is interesting, but weird. Symptoms is the high watermark of his career. However, if you do jump for it, Diabolique Mag put out a really insightful podcast discussing his lesser-known films that almost makes watching them worth it despite their not being "good"".

Quote from: eward on July 01, 2020, 02:36:25 PM50% off at B&N

eward, what? How?

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on July 02, 2020, 02:10:42 PM

Re: Larraz, I think you already ordered Symptoms? Did you not? Check that one out first before leaping for Arrow's Blood Hunger box set, which is interesting, but weird. Symptoms is the high watermark of his career. However, if you do jump for it, Diabolique Mag put out a really insightful podcast discussing his lesser-known films that almost makes watching them worth it despite their not being "good"".

lol. this showcases both your accurate statements and my buying rampage. learning about these directors prompts cross label discoveries and really it is all so illuminating. here i am a bona fide cinephile and yet still growing. as to say yes i do posses Symptoms and oh i had not even realized

and what's happened as a result of my digging movies from my buying rampage is a funny thing in which i feel not as if i ordered too many but not enough

yes i had been thinking Yoshida as well. i become excited about discovering a new-to-me intellectual filmmaker and feel as if i really must further explore this opportunity

thanks for being such a cinema babe wilder. not to insult everybody else but to compliment you i really don't think i'd still be here, have anybody to chat with about things, if not for you

Alethia

Quote from: wilder on July 02, 2020, 02:10:42 PMeward, what? How?

I think it may have been mistakenly labeled, as there was no sale clearly advertised, but the cashier, initially confused, proceeded to happily punch it in regardless.

Or, if you meant how did I find myself in a Barnes & Noble right now, I'm hanging out in upstate NY before heading west Sunday and most places are open up here.

putneyswipe

that Yoshida box is really tempting

wilder

Quote from: eward on July 02, 2020, 04:42:37 PMI think it may have been mistakenly labeled, as there was no sale clearly advertised, but the cashier, initially confused, proceeded to happily punch it in regardless.

Or, if you meant how did I find myself in a Barnes & Noble right now, I'm hanging out in upstate NY before heading west Sunday and most places are open up here.

Ah, makes more sense. Was confused because the sale isn't live online yet and I hadn't heard anything definite.

I'd been wondering about your move given the rise in cases right now. Wishing you luck, man. Let us know how the transition goes and what your impressions of LA are after you settle in if you're so inclined.

jenkins

and so i did do that

also i had ordered this

it's not too much it's not enough

Something Spanish

I bought some streaming stuff on Prime the other day, never bought streaming titles before: Mountains of the Moon, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Rosewood, Liberty Heights.

bought a fuck ton of blus since quarantine, these are some of them: