The Great Gatsby (2013)

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2012, 08:12:08 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: Dec. 25, 2012

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton, Tobey Maguire, Isla Fisher

Directed by: Baz Luhrmann

Premise: Nick Carraway, a Midwesterner now living on Long Island, finds himself fascinated by the mysterious past and lavish lifestyle of his neighbor, Jay Gatsby. He is drawn into Gatsby's circle, becoming a witness to obsession and tragedy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chere mill

fitzgerald just rolled over in his grave.

Jeremy Blackman

What god-awful song was that playing for the majority of the trailer? It sounded like a raccoon dying.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 22, 2012, 09:27:05 PM
What god-awful song was that playing for the majority of the trailer? It sounded like a raccoon dying.

It's Jack White's cover version of U2's Love Is Blindness.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Jack White, you disappoint me.

RegularKarate

I'm kind of surprised at the reactions here.  I think the trailer looks good and I actually like that Jack White cover.

also, OF COURSE there's no period music, it's a Baz Luhrmann movie.  This is expected from him.  I've never loved a B.L. movie, but this one looks like I could really get into it.

Jeremy Blackman

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 30, 2012, 11:09:50 AM
I loved Romeo + Juliet.

Interesting.

I can deduce from this that you are not RK.

Thanks for clearing that up.
under the paving stones.

©brad

I liked the trailer too! It seems surprisingly constrained for Baz. Doesn't seem to have the jittery, meth-fueled camerawork of Roulin and R+J.

MacGuffin

Warner Bros. Moves 'Great Gatsby' to Summer 2013
The Baz Luhrmann film -- headlining Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby -- was set to open Christmas Day.
Source: THR

In a surprise move, Warner Bros. has pushed back Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby from Dec. 25 to summer 2013.

The 3D epic, based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's iconic novel, stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Joel Edgerton.

"Based on what we've seen, Baz Luhrmann's incredible work is all we anticipated and so much more," said Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman, who announced the move with international distribution president Veronika Kwan Vandenberg. "It truly brings Fitzgerald's American classic to life in a completely immersive, visually stunning and exiting way. We think moviegoers of all ages are going to embrace it, and it makes sense to ensure this unique film reaches the largest audience possible."

Great Gatsby was considered a prime awards contender for Warners, but the studio still has potential contenders in Ben Affleck's Argo (Oct. 12); Cloud Atlas, directed by Tim Tykwer and the Wachowskis and starring Tom Hanks (Oct. 26); and New Line's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Dec. 14), from director Peter Jackson.

Village Roadshow Pictures is Warners' partner on Great Gatsby.

It used to be virtually taboo for a Hollywood studio to push back the release date of a high-profile title, but more and more, studios are doing just that for a variety of reasons.
One specific issue facing Great Gatsby: DiCaprio stars in another 2012 Christmas Day movie, Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Frederico Fellini

Does anybody even care about this movie at this point?
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

HeywoodRFloyd

Wow, what a piece of shit this is going to turn out to be

jenkins

It kind of makes me more excited that this movie was bumped to summer. Makes me think it's going to be more party than adaptation, good, good.

The bump to summer has its drawbacks, though, 'cause I'm starting to feel like I already watched this movie.

ono

Well, I loved the book back in high school, and picked apart to pieces the Redford movie.  From the trailer, this looks delightful.  But it's mostly just that Luhrmann flash we see so far.  That stunning set design and wardrobe flair he's known for.  I'm excited to revisit one of the greatest stories ever written on the screen.  At the very least, Baz will do a great job bringing out the fun and excesses of the roaring twenties.

polkablues

It can't possibly be as bad as Australia, right?
My house, my rules, my coffee