The Great Gatsby (2013)

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2012, 08:12:08 PM

©brad

Which side of the backlash are we on? Has the pendulum swung back to us being excited for this movie, because I am!

Pubrick

^haha yeah i'm back on the hyped side.

Edgerton sounds like he's doing his best Plainview while looking like an overly-serious Conan.

Music choices felt better this time and the whole thing looks more polished.

All I can hope for is that it's fun and FA-BU-LOUS, it's the best we can expect from the gayest straight man in the biz.
under the paving stones.

Lottery

Gold Trumpet

polkablues

It can't be worse than "Australia". I mean it literally can't. Because that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Worse than McTiernan's "Rollerball". I mean BAD.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Frederico Fellini

Jay-z is straight up one of my favorite rappers ever, but I'm not sure about this.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Pubrick

i couldn't make it through ten seconds of that rubbish.

Jay Z is the most overrated rapper in history.

still have hope for this film, if he doesn't manage to ruin it.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Did this ever get released in the US?

Anyway, it was shit.

Luhrmann is DONE.
under the paving stones.

Cloudy

It did. Didn't see it though. So many people I know liked it.Which makes me sort of sad.

By the way I completely agree with you on Jay-Z. Nas>

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

It wasn't as big a train wreck as I went in expecting, and it certainly wasn't an epic shitshow on the level of Australia, but even granting it all that leeway, it still wasn't very good.  Weirdly, the soundtrack was the only aspect of the film that worked for me unreservedly (and also the great, great actress who played Jordan Baker).  Joel Edgerton (seriously, is it pronounced "Ed-ger-ton" or "Edge-er-ton"?) made it through mostly unscathed, though he let the voice do most of the heavy lifting.  Otherwise, it just felt not-quite-right at every push, from the weird Nick-Carroway-in-an-insane-asylum framing device, to the distractingly ugly 3D compositions, to DiCaprio cranking the ham up to 11, to Tobey Maguire's godforsaken puberty-voice lacerating the immortal prose of F. Scott Fitzgerald.  Even Carey Mulligan (CAREY MULLIGAN!) seemed out of place, and that's no small feat to accomplish. 

Guys, I'm starting to think maybe Baz Lurhmann isn't super great at making movies...
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

Pubrick

That's a million times better than the actual movie. And it's cool that we're still impressed by the use of cgi, but compare that to something like Life of Pi or any big action movie, hell even any Fincher movie lately, and you'll see it's pretty standard.

Also, Polk, it's edge-er-ton, if you actually heard someone say it differently please laugh in their face. I didn't realise it was possible to mispronounce that, I mean you'd have to be speaking like a weirdo on purpose at that point.
under the paving stones.

pete

I'm grateful for the internet so this hatred for the way their characters are lit doesn't go unregistered. it's obnoxious and unthoughtful. the CG paintings were infinitely more interesting. bunch of losers.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton