Lost in Translation

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, September 07, 2003, 11:51:23 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

seeing clips i see shit their that is pure him and sofia could not have done that

and that scene where he sings " whats so funny about peace love and understanding" was her idea

he would of picked something more weird and ironic like mmbop by hanson and he would know every word

ever see him sing on snl or on letterman, he picks cheesy or cute and funny pop songs

on the first ever episode of the old david letterman show he got drunk before the show and broke into " physical" by olvia newton john and he knew every word not just the stuff everyone knows

and ten years ago he sang " i will always love you" by dolly parton/whitney houston

he doesnt name drop " hipsters" but sofia wanted a elvis costello song to make her film " deep" and what i know about her , if this film is any good its because of Bill, spike jonze and her daddy

im sure she will fuck it up in some way, because all i here about it is bill's performance

and in the movie he is playing a popular actor in his 50's who is frustrated

geee isnt he playing himself, well he would if he sang two become one by the spice girls

Ghostboy

Kinda redirect: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1231&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Murray isn't going for funny or weird. He's acting here, not mugging, and it's his best performance to date. The movie is brilliant on so many levels, and I don't think Francis or Spike had anything to do with it. It's all Sofia and her cast.

Quote from: GhostboyKinda redirect: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1231&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Murray isn't going for funny or weird. He's acting here, not mugging, and it's his best performance to date. The movie is brilliant on so many levels, and I don't think Francis or Spike had anything to do with it. It's all Sofia and her cast.

sofia is a airhead and this is a known fact and bill more or less is playing himself like a said a well known frustrated actor in his 50's who makes ironic jokes " were here for a prison break"

do you know sofias track record

actress-failed
model-failed
tv show host-failed
designer-failed

yet some how she has become the directer dejour, im not buying it

im sure she had plenty of input in the film, and that would be all the shitty stuff

and if you dont think her dad and husband wouldnt effect her film your hopped up on the goofballs

fiona affected magnolia, the peeing scene was something she went through

i can on many if not most films are affected by your close people and it helps to have spike jonze and francis ford coppola around

Ghostboy

No, it definitely does help to have them around. She's been around movies her whole life, so she definitely had a way in and an edge in that regard.

But I think that's all her talent up there on screen. There are so many things a mediocre director could have done to screw this movie up, but she did everything right. So she failed in whatever else she did? Sure. I think she finally just found the right field. Virgin Suicides and Lick The Star were also great.

Also, Murray's performance is largely free of irony. Trailers always highlight the most sellable lines.

Ravi

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesand if you dont think her dad and husband wouldnt effect her film your hopped up on the goofballs

You mean the guy who directed "Jack"?  :-D

He also directed some film about gangsters or something.

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesand if you dont think her dad and husband wouldnt effect her film your hopped up on the goofballs

You mean the guy who directed "Jack"?  :-D

He also directed some film about gangsters or something.

i was gonna point out that he pretty much lost whatever was great in him during "apocolipse know " since then it was over, but he has the rep and the hook ups, and yes i will admit that spike would be more so the guy to turn to , but " Daddy" still has clout

Pubrick

is this post about u not thinking lost in translation is gonna be good?

anyway, it is. next.
under the paving stones.

Quote from: Pis this post about u not thinking lost in translation is gonna be good?

anyway, it is. next.

its me more or less saying that bill murry may have saved the day and that her as a master directer to some of us in america is as funny to us as canadians who laughed at americans when they thought alanis was a folk singer

next

SoNowThen

May I quickly add, upon viewing the trailer, that I would like to declare Lance Accord as our greatest living cinematographer...?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenMay I quickly add, upon viewing the trailer, that I would like to declare Lance Accord as our greatest living cinematographer...?

of course she has the best of the best to help her out

mutinyco

Alguien, you're making an ass of yourself. Not only have I seen the movie, but I met and interviewed Sofia. You're wrong on every count. Find another topic to take out your mysanthropic angst on.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mutinyco

And the movie is beautifully shot, but Acord is hardly the greatest cinematographer. Not by far. I thought his work on Malkovich and Adaptation was ugly.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

I though his Adaptation work was incredible (the only thing besides Nic Cage that I liked about that movie). And he DP'd Buffalo 66 on a shoestring, using ektachrome stocks with no option of dailies. And it was fucking great. So there.

*sticks tongue out*
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Stick your tongue to a flag pole. He's still not the greatest DP.

-St. Joe

Quote from: mutinycoAlguien, you're making an ass of yourself. Not only have I seen the movie, but I met and interviewed Sofia. .

gee i met her too and not in a fake interview setting, were her publicist proped her up

since were name dropping , but you wont get another peep out of me im not a star fucker

and she has no talent did you see her prior work like her acting and tv show and her photography and her band and her............

rich show biz kid trying to find her nich.......