MADE or SWINGERS?

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 01:15:26 PM

oakmanc234

They both kick ass. But 'Swingers' wins. I have a real soft spot for 'Made' though. I like how its essentially 'Swingers' in the mafia world. I liked how the relationship between the two is so different from 'Swingers'; instead of sticking up for eachother constantly, they break out into fights at the drop of a hat e.g. the fist-fight in the hotel room over a tab is priceless. Vaughn's asshole schtick got a bit tiresome in 'Made' (swearing can be really funny but they overused it in this). 'Made' had more plot than 'Swingers' but it isn't as rounded a film.

And I hope to god that the pair make one last film, kind of an end to a 'Favreau/Vaughn screwball/buddy trilogy'.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Keener

Made had Dustin Diamond. How can anyone not like it ?
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSoNowThen,
Thing is, on first watch for like the first half hour, I did think he was funny but then it became all too repititious and he became annoying. Then on the second time of viewing from me when catching it on showtime or whatever, I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes because I couldn't stand Vaughn at all. And how was he right all the time? He seemed like a character driven by lack of patience and consistently started up bad arguments to hide that. He seemed wrong all the time.

On the reinventing of another genre, I didn't feel that. What I got was classic Keaton used in a new area and instead of the gangster genre being turned around, you had a classic comedy situation end up in a new background only. It's still the same ol' thing though.

~rougerum

Trumper, you either like Vaughn or you hate Vaughn.
And Vaughn's hilarious!!!!!!!!

Made was a good movie, very entertaining, and let's not forget Faulk! I wouldn't go so far as to say he was reinventing the gangster genre, but he definitely brought a comedic, fresh take to an otherwise tired genre.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: punchdrunk23
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSoNowThen,
Thing is, on first watch for like the first half hour, I did think he was funny but then it became all too repititious and he became annoying. Then on the second time of viewing from me when catching it on showtime or whatever, I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes because I couldn't stand Vaughn at all. And how was he right all the time? He seemed like a character driven by lack of patience and consistently started up bad arguments to hide that. He seemed wrong all the time.

On the reinventing of another genre, I didn't feel that. What I got was classic Keaton used in a new area and instead of the gangster genre being turned around, you had a classic comedy situation end up in a new background only. It's still the same ol' thing though.

~rougerum

But then again, like Vaughn, I'm a real smartass too....so maybe I'm biased.......

Trumper, you either like Vaughn or you hate Vaughn.
And Vaughn's hilarious!!!!!!!!

Made was a good movie, very entertaining, and let's not forget Faulk! I wouldn't go so far as to say he was reinventing the gangster genre, but he definitely brought a comedic, fresh take to an otherwise tired genre.
:P
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

sexterossa

i laughed more during SWINGERS, but i think MADE is a better movie.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Gold Trumpet

I finally saw Swingers and can easily say it is not only better than Made, but a very good movie. Unlike Made, it didn't depend just on Vaughn's character for enjoyment but seemed more wide ranged in characters that can easily bring some enjoyment. Made was just drowned way too much in trying to find humor in Vaughn's character only that his minor character was pushed to the front and outlasted his welcome. In Swingers, I felt he was more of a well ranged character, but in Made he seemed to be there just for his insane annoyance and how it seemed funny. Another thing is that Made tried to add something meaningful at the end, but it was just a tacky move because the movie is pure comedy and the dramatic scenes at the end feel desperate. Swingers just had the perfect ending for these guys.

~rougerum