The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

Started by modage, June 30, 2003, 12:10:57 PM

picolas

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAlso, quite funny, Pedro.
yes. very quite.

Redlum

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOK? You guys should consider this a miracle.

Bless you. You're too good to us.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gamblour.

I saw the trailer for the fifth or sixth time before the Last Samurai today...god that is the most heart-wrenching trailer, I want to cry every time I see it. I hope this movie is everything the guys on the dvd commentary said it will be, but I'm making sure to distance myself just a
little bit, to not be too expectant of anything.

Edit: Forgot to read the page before this...

Weak2ndAct, thanks for the great review, you've got my fucking shaking from wanting to see this so bad...fuck finals man. I need to see this movie now!!!!!

Quote from: MacGuffinSinner.
:twisted: This should be your next sig quote: "We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it. We tolerate it because it's common, it's trival. We tolerate it morning, noon, and night. Well, not anymore. I'm setting the example. And what I've done is going to be puzzled over, and studied, and followed... forever. "
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore:twisted: This should be your next sig quote: "We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it. We tolerate it because it's common, it's trival. We tolerate it morning, noon, and night. Well, not anymore. I'm setting the example. And what I've done is going to be puzzled over, and studied, and followed... forever. "

I had that one with the Gluttony avatar. Thanks for noticing, Prince Of Darkness.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore:twisted: This should be your next sig quote: "We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it. We tolerate it because it's common, it's trival. We tolerate it morning, noon, and night. Well, not anymore. I'm setting the example. And what I've done is going to be puzzled over, and studied, and followed... forever. "

I had that one with the Gluttony avatar. Thanks for noticing, Prince Of Darkness.

Dammit, slammed by Mac again...I'll show you!
WWPTAD?

©brad

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ©bradshould we go ahead and move this thread to 'now showing?'

Is it the 17th?
OHH!! you were SLAMMED down mista brad

that i was.  :shock:

picolas

whoa!! the official Taco Bell SLAMMADGE-count in this thread is skull-crushingly UNPRECEDENTED!

Ghostboy

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
This is what I'll do then. I just realized ROTK comes out during finals week for me at school. This isn't a bad thing at all, but a great one. I don't need to study and will have little to do, so during this week I promise I will watch both extended versions and the final film on friday. I'm going to give the trilogy a fair shot with open eyes since I saw the last two only during theatrical release. OK? You guys should consider this a miracle.

GT, you intentions and your open mind are supremely admirable. However, if your opinions of the first two don't change for the better with the extended editions, I think you should skip the last one and spend four hours with a film (or films, or books) you really love. I really wish you could love Return Of The King, but I'm guessing you won't.

Pedro

Quote from: picolaswhoa!! the official Taco Bell SLAMMADGE-count in this thread is skull-crushingly UNPRECEDENTED!
yeah...ive never seen slamming quite like this anywhere else.

TheVoiceOfNick

I posted this to "Now Playing", but I guess since its not the 17th yet (although technically it IS "now playing" at preview screenings in the U.S.):

------------

I just saw this movie at a preview screening on Saturday morning, and despite being the only movie I know with 4 "the"'s in the title, it was simply amazing!!! I think this movie was a lot better than the last two put together. The entire movie was like an emotional rollercoaster... with highs and lows, moments of happiness and sadness... I was tearing at certain parts... I swear... I've never actually teared at a movie before... the acting was also amazing. The battle scenes were the best i've ever seen in a movie. The CG though, could have been better at times... but the overall movie gets an A+ (9.9/10) in my book.

MacGuffin

‘Lord of the Rings’ director PETER JACKSON is coming clean about his controversial decision to cut the 7-minute ‘Saruman sequence.’

“It never was in Return of the King. The scene was never in the script,” Jackson told to IGN.COM.

The particular sequence created a stir last month, when CHRISTOPHER LEE, who plays the evil wizard Saruman the White, came out publicly on a British morning talk show stating that he was ‘shocked’ to learn about Jackson’s decision to cut his only scene in the third Lord of the Rings movie.

“We had a 4 hour 15 minute cut of Return of the King with everything in there that we shot but it was too long. It felt like the emotional impact of the film was being diluted, it was just too long. So we started trimming the film back and the Saruman scene was one of many scenes we cut,” Jackson explains.

Jackson also tells ign.com that he believes all the reports on the internet about not giving the 81 year-old actor Lee proper notice were “completely wrong”.

“There were phone calls, faxes. He's (Christopher Lee) fine, but he's got a website with fans who've started a petition which I don't think is necessarily in his best interest to have a petition starting up. I don't think it was Christopher for a second that drove that. I think it was just fans. It just brings a lot of publicity to it that he's not really feeling that way, but his fans are fighting the battle and it brings a lot of unnecessary publicity to it. But the scene's great and it will be on the DVD and everyone will get a chance to see it. It's a good scene and at least it will complete the story in terms of the three films.”
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

TheVoiceOfNick

I felt the movie was just perfect the way it was... I personally don't like the extended editions, because if the scenes were important enough to keep, they would have been kept.  I feel the theatrical versions of the trilogy are great the way they are.

Just Withnail

Quote from: MacGuffin"It never was in Return of the King. The scene was never in the script," Jackson told to IGN.COM.

I'm guessing this refers to "The Voice of Saruman"-chapter originally being the ending of the Two Towers script, where it belongs. We love these films despite their pacing issues, don't we? The sequence should never have been moved, no matter how long it would've dragged the conclusion of TTT. Probably no more than Return of the King's apparent many endings. Ach! These changes. They say ROTK is the most faithful to the book, is it true Ghostboy?

Ghostboy

I haven't made it past the first 100 pages of Fellowship yet...I started it when the first movie was released, and then decided to wait and just let everything come as a surprise. I'm really curious now to see what the differences are...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI felt the movie was just perfect the way it was... I personally don't like the extended editions, because if the scenes were important enough to keep, they would have been kept.  I feel the theatrical versions of the trilogy are great the way they are.

::buzzer sounds::

wrong.....

in my upmost geekest reply i must infact freely admit that  the extended cuts are much better.....

the scenes in TTT:EE w/Boromir and Faromir (whatever ther're names are).fleshed out their relationship...and shoudl have been in the theatrical cut.......