Starsky & Hutch

Started by IHeartPTA, August 22, 2003, 12:27:54 PM

modage

yeah it wasnt bad by any means.  probably better than most comedies right now, but just fell short of its potential greatness by quite a bit.  stiller and wilson are great, and it had its share of really funny stuff, but cant hold a candle anywhere near zoolander (or even old school).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

I really liked this... very much... all the characters were funny and well done... even Snoop who I usually dont like... Will Ferrel as usual hilarious... Vince Vaughn was great... and Stiller/Wilson excellent...

I think they did a very good job... they could have easily fucked it up but they didnt...

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02yeah it wasnt bad by any means.  probably better than most comedies right now, but just fell short of its potential greatness by quite a bit.  stiller and wilson are great, and it had its share of really funny stuff, but cant hold a candle anywhere near zoolander (or even old school).

Exactly.

Ravi

Zoolander had some funny moments, but most of it wasn't that funny.  Even as a stupid fun comedy it didn't do much for me.

Redlum

Favourite scene from Zoolander "What is this? A school for ants!?". I watched that section of the trailer so many times.

For people in England, Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are being interviewed together on Jonathan Ross's Chat Show on Friday Night, BBC. If they warm to him, which I'm sure they will, it should be extremely funny.

Still waiting for S&H to go wide here on the 19th. It will be the first time I've been to the movies for quite some time.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

horrorchick76

Quote from: IHeartPTAAnyone gonna be seein it?

http://www.imdb.com/Title?0335438

Got potential, I'm thinking that it will be an entertaining piece, since they've got Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in lead, director of Old School/Road Trip doing it. My problem is Snoop Dogg in a major role.

I feel the same way Samuel L. feels

I saw the movie.. it wasnt what i thought it would be.. but it was funny. :twisted:  :?:  :!:
poo

Banky

i thought it was pretty funny and enjoyable though i think it could have been something great.  WF was the obvious highlight.

Pas

I liked that sucker ! I laughed quite a lot. I saw it in french and the translation was pretty god damn good (for once).

Hated the thing with the 'actual' Starsky and Hutch in the end though ... seemed out of place.

analogzombie

The best thing about this movie was Har Mar Superstar's cameo as Disco Rick. Though he was totally wasted, he should have been the singer at the bar mitsvah.

check him out at http://www.youcanfeelme.com
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Redlum

I thought this was Faaan-tastic. More movies like this please.

I'm sure someone already mentioned the "cute little kid" line.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

bluejaytwist

i saw it last night.
it jogged my memory of two things:

vince vaughn takes over everything he is in
juliette lewis is hot

i can't believe it
i am the luckiest bugger ever
this geocities page says 623 hits
but i am the 50,000,000th visitor
AND i've won a prize...

im torn.
do i email the webmaster and alert him/her of the mistake??
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

SHAFTR

Some thoughts,

This movie was much better than I thought it would be, I thought them playing it as a buddy action film worked, I likened the film more to Lethal Weapon than Zoolander, etc.  

Now on the subject of Zoolander, the movie has a few Great, great great moments but the rest kind of falls flat.  

Everyone mentions Will Ferrell as being the best part, I disagree...Ferrel's humor wears thin on me and I only think he works as a supporting role (which in this he works).

As a buddy film the film is an enjoyable ride.

EDIT:
I didn't realize that was Har Mar Superstar but I think he is horrible.  I saw him at a concert a few years ago...he got booed of the stage and people threw stuff at him, lots of stuff.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRon the subject of Zoolander, the movie has a few Great, great great moments but the rest kind of falls flat.
well i guess comedy is subjective, but HOW does it fall flat?  i think its one of my favorite comedies ever.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTRon the subject of Zoolander, the movie has a few Great, great great moments but the rest kind of falls flat.
well i guess comedy is subjective, but HOW does it fall flat?  i think its one of my favorite comedies ever.

When every single moment of a film is supposed to be funny, or is trying to be funny...it often doesn't work.  Now there are some great moments in the movie, but there are also a lot of times when the jokes are thrown out a mile a minute and they just don't work.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Quote from: bluejaytwisti saw it last night.
it jogged my memory:

vince vaughn takes over everything he is in

You mean that in a good way, right?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.