Let The Awards Season Begin!

Started by MacGuffin, December 04, 2003, 09:33:03 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: FernandoNOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED FOR THE 10TH ANNUAL SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS

Doesn't matter. The theaters won't let me in to see 'em for free anymore. Boycott!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Link

I think it's dumb to put Johnny Depp for Lead actor.  He'll have a tougher time getting the Oscar nom with people like Penn, Murray, Cruise, Law, Kingsley, Nicholson, Macy, Penn again, and more.  I think he would be better going for Supporting Actor (which really is what his role was).  Sure, he was good, and I think he's better than most of them (big fan), but this isn't his strongest performance.

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: FernandoNOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED FOR THE 10TH ANNUAL SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS

Doesn't matter. The theaters won't let me in to see 'em for free anymore. Boycott!

What do you mean? Are you talking about theater-hopping? How do they prevent you from doing that?
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinDoesn't matter. The theaters won't let me in to see 'em for free anymore. Boycott!
Why is that? Is that for any one in the guild?

modage

Quote from: LinkI think it's dumb to put Johnny Depp for Lead actor.  He'll have a tougher time getting the Oscar nom with people like Penn, Murray, Cruise, Law, Kingsley, Nicholson, Macy, Penn again, and more.  I think he would be better going for Supporting Actor (which really is what his role was).  Sure, he was good, and I think he's better than most of them (big fan), but this isn't his strongest performance.
HE WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER!??! how was he a supporting actor?!?! and thats fucking bullshit that putting someone in a catagory they dont belong in because their chances are better. thats why scarlett is up for supporting when her character is every bit as leading as murrays.  its bullshit politics!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: MacGuffinDoesn't matter. The theaters won't let me in to see 'em for free anymore. Boycott!
Why is that? Is that for any one in the guild?

SAG has so many members that the theater chains quit letting all the members in for free. This started last year. Only those on the SAG Nominating Commitee (chosen at random) are allowed to see the movies for free, which is stupid because they already saw them in order to nominate them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Link

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: LinkI think it's dumb to put Johnny Depp for Lead actor.  He'll have a tougher time getting the Oscar nom with people like Penn, Murray, Cruise, Law, Kingsley, Nicholson, Macy, Penn again, and more.  I think he would be better going for Supporting Actor (which really is what his role was).  Sure, he was good, and I think he's better than most of them (big fan), but this isn't his strongest performance.
HE WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER!??! how was he a supporting actor?!?! and thats fucking bullshit that putting someone in a catagory they dont belong in because their chances are better. thats why scarlett is up for supporting when her character is every bit as leading as murrays.  its bullshit politics!

Orlando Bloom's character was the main character.  The "straight man" if you will.  People think Sparrow's the main character because, yes, he had a good amount of screen time, and yes, he's awesome, and yes, he was probably the only awesome thing in the movie, and yes, he's a big name.  But Bloom's character (and Knightly's as well) was the one we saw in the beginning.  The one going for the girl.  It's him who we (are supposed to) care about.  Jack Sparrow's just some pirate who wants his ship back.

Though I agree it's politics, putting people in categories to increase their chances (such as Denzel Washington being dubbed Lead Actor in Training Day, when the plot was clearly about Ethan Hawke, but Ethan Hawke wouldn't have had a chance in the lead actor category), but that's the nature of the beast (or at least that's what it's become).

Myxo

Quote from: Pit doesn't matter because hulk will win.

and i will celebrate.

Redlum

So what do you think of the BAFTA nominations?

All I have to say is: I love you Scarlett Johansson. I just hope I get to see the Girl with the Pearl Earing, soon.

http://www.bafta.org/film/announce.htm

oh and...I'm not a betting man and I dont really care about the awards but I'm going to have to back Lostin Translation this year (despite my love of Return of the King). The excess of Cold Mountain noms are a bit annoying so are the few Love Actually awards.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cine

Quote from: ®edlumSo what do you think of the BAFTA nominations?
Scroll down to the very bottom. The Orange Film of the Year category.
Two of the top ten most films are:
Calendar Girls
Johnny English

Those zany Brits.

Link

mogwai

they felt sorry for rowan atkinson and his current state of mind.

Redlum

That one is judged by the Orange film committee and they are voted for by the public.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

'King' rules over PGA Awards

A king and three jewels in HBO's crown took top honors Saturday at the 15th annual Producers Guild of America Awards as the guild selected "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" as best picture and HBO's "My House in Umbria," "Six Feet Under" and "Sex and the City" in the television categories. A fifth competitive category, for reality TV, went to Bravo's "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy."

The PGA honors are watched closely because 10 of the past 14 winners of the Darryl F. Zanuck Producer of the Year Award in theatrical motion picture have gone on to win the Academy Award.

That honor this year went to "King" and producers Barrie Osborne, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh.

"After this long journey to produce these three pictures to receive this award is the greatest of honors," Osborne said Saturday at the Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles.

"My House in Umbria" won the David L. Wolper Producer of the Year award in long-form television for producers Frank Doelger, Robert Ackerman and Ann Wingate.

"Six Feet Under" received the Norman Felton Producer of the Year Award in episodic television drama. Its producers are Alan Ball, Alan Poul, Robert Greenblatt and David Janollari.

"Sex and the City" took the top spot in the Danny Thomas Producer of the Year Award in episodic television comedy. The producers are Michael Patrick King, Cindy Chupack, John Melfi, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jenny Bicks and Jane Raab. Most of the producers couldn't attend because the show was taping its final two episodes in Paris.

"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" producers David Collins, Michael Williams, David Metzler and Lynn Sadofsky received the Producer of the Year Award in reality/game/informational series.

Several industry giants received honorary awards as well.

Dino De Laurentiis won the David O. Selznick Achievement Award in theatrical motion pictures. "What can I say -- I was born with dreams. My dream was to make a movie," De Laurentiis said. "Producing film is not only my life work, it's my passion."

Warren Beatty was presented with the Milestone Award for his historical contributions to the industry. "You know how moved I am by your honoring me like this. Producing really did change my life," Beatty said. "A lifetime achievement award really cuts both ways -- you don't really know what to make of it."

Beatty later joked with Clint Eastwood, who was in the audience: "I've got a bone to pick with you. I called you 10 days ago and told you I finally saw the thing ("Mystic River") and I found it utterly unacceptable that you would make another great movie. Yes? You laughed and it was nice and I was charming but I didn't realize you scored the goddamn movie. How do you think I feel? Don't do this to me. Don't make me have to start scoring my movies."

Lorne Michaels was honored with the David Susskind Achievement Award in Television. Michaels accepted the award via satellite from Tina Fey and the cast of "Saturday Night Live."

James Cameron was recognized for his technical prowess with the Vanguard Award. "Our business, our livelihood, our creative acts is really predicated on understanding technology," Cameron said.

Cameron singled out "The Lord of the Rings" as the kind of visual spectacular that triggered the same sense of awe that he had years ago when watching "2001: A Space Odyssey," "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." "It was never about technology for its own sake. Whatever technical innovations accrued over the years in all these filmmaking activities are really the result of a desire to see something up on the screen which couldn't be accomplished without creating something new technologically," Cameron said.

Cameron said that a HDTV-based 3D cinema technology he's been developing, and has already tested on documentaries (including "Titanic 3D: Ghosts of the Abyss") is being deployed on a feature for 20th Century Fox. Challenges presented by the new technology on the production side have been overcome, though exhibition issues remain and will hopefully be solved by digital cinema.

"In America" producers Jim Sheridan and Arthur Lappin received the Stanley Kramer Award for a production or individual that addresses provocative social issues in an uplifting fashion.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

The movies I'm backing are Lost in Translation and 21 Grams. I really hope Scarlett wins something....she needs to. Same with Naomi. I felt depressed at the lack of Oscar for her back in 2002.