Let The Awards Season Begin!

Started by MacGuffin, December 04, 2003, 09:33:03 AM

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor du JourAnd I didn't see it but is Seabiscuit actually better than a movie like Kill Bill?

Oh God, yes. A lot better.

But you hated Kill Bill, didn't you?
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinMASTER AND COMMANDER:  THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

RUSSELL CROWE - MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

BRIAN HELGELAND - MYSTIC RIVER

Scoff...

There better be more City of God and Lost in Translation in the Oscars.

SoNowThen

I wouldn't bet on it.

Biggest rapes that will happen this year:

no best picture or director noms for American Splendor
and
no best actor win for Viggo
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

American Splendor is awesome, but I don't think it deserves a best pic or director nom.

I think the biggest Oscar let-downs will be:

-Lost in Translation will get nominated for either best pic or best director, but not both and it will LOSE to something like Master & Comander.

-Bill Murray won't even be there

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RegularKarate-Bill Murray won't even be there

$20 says he will

Gamblour.

Quote from: RegularKarateAmerican Splendor is awesome, but I don't think it deserves a best pic or director nom.

I think the biggest Oscar let-downs will be:

-Lost in Translation will get nominated for either best pic or best director, but not both and it will LOSE to something like Master & Comander.

-Bill Murray won't even be there

God if M and C wins ANYTHING or if Last Samurai gets nominated...god.

Bill Murray, I dunno, even though he said the quote in my sig, it doesn't indicate too much that he won't be there. I mean, he said he likes the movie, so he'll be there to support it I'm sure.
WWPTAD?

oakmanc234

So, so happy to see Uma Thurman on the list. QT should be on the directors list but we all know that.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Kal

Two that should be there

Sean Astin (and others of the LOTR cast) in acting... and QT in Directors...

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SoNowThenno best actor win for Viggo

Well, I loved Return of the King, but Viggo had almost nothing to do in the movie. Even in an optimistic scenario, I can't see him getting a nomination, unless people are honoring him for all three films. In fact, I would argue that ROTK is the least of his three performances.

Astin really deserves the nomination.

And I could see McKellan getting a nomination just because he's McKellan.

Serkis would be next on the list, but heaven forbid the Academy ever gets progressive.

Fernando

From IMDb.com

The Toronto Film Critics Association has named Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation the best film of 2003. In addition, the group awarded Bill Murray its best actor trophy. Coppola tied for best screenplay with Barbarian Invasions writer-director Denys Arcand. Peter Jackson was honored for best director for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, while Samantha Morton won the best actress award for the British film Morvern Callar.

Link

Academy Announces Films in Competition for Visual Effects Oscar

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced the seven films being considered for Achievement in Visual Effects for the 76th Academy Awards.

The films in consideration are listed below in alphabetical order:

"The Hulk"
"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
"Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"
"Peter Pan"
"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl"
"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines"
"X2"

----------------------------------------------
Take out X2 or POTC and put in Revolutions, I say.  Those other two don't deserve to be there at all.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Link

"The Hulk"
"Peter Pan"
"X2"

Take out X2 or POTC and put in Revolutions, I say.  Those other two don't deserve to be there at all.

Oh hell no. Take out X2 and POTC and leave in the Hulk?!?!? The Hulk looked TERRIBLE. In Pirates, they used a lot of CGI to fill in the background and complete lots of ships, and you can't say the skeleton pirates weren't badass. Yeah, you could tell they were CG, but it shouldn't not be nominated. And I can't think of one thing that looked bad in X2.
WWPTAD?

©brad

Quote from: LinkAcademy Announces Films in Competition for Visual Effects Oscar

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced the seven films being considered for Achievement in Visual Effects for the 76th Academy Awards.

"The Hulk"
"Peter Pan"
"X2"

no reloaded/revolutions?!?  :shock:  :evil:

Gamblour.

Quote from: ©brad

Wow, good point. Gotta give it to those guys, some amazing sequences in Revolutions, the rain explosions, good looking shiat.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor du Jour
Quote from: ©brad

Wow, good point. Gotta give it to those guys, some amazing sequences in Revolutions, the rain explosions, good looking shiat.

This was from back in August:

Quote from: MacGuffin
Double Trouble

''Matrix'' movies create an Oscar dilemma. Warner Bros. is worried that their two-part movie may compete against itself in the Oscar race.

If Warner Bros. ends up not submitting ''The Matrix Reloaded'' for Oscar consideration, it won't be because they were disappointed in the sequel. It's just that the Academy has decreed that ''Reloaded'' and November's ''The Matrix Revolutions'' must be considered separately, leaving Warner Bros. worried that the two would compete with each other and hurt the franchise's Oscar chances, according to the Hollywood Reporter. So Warner Bros. is currently considering submitting only ''Revolutions'' for the awards, the trade paper reports.

But even still, I can't believe it either that WB would submit "T3" to represent their studio rather than choosing one of the "Matrix" films.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks