Best ironic use of music in a movie?

Started by ShanghaiOrange, September 23, 2003, 01:15:57 PM

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI guess the classical music in 2001 one could be seen as ironic in some sense too. :( So yeah...Kubrick!.... :(

In what sense?

I knew someone was going to ask that.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Pas

Great thread idea

I would have to say that song Frank wants his friend to lip synch to, Sandman something. I'm not good at this.

Cecil

although it was in a terrible terrible movie, and im not gay, i swear to god but, "without you" in rules of attraction

ElPandaRoyal

A Quick One, While He's Away in Rushmore (that's about the 3219284732876th time I use this song in this movie to answer a post...  :P )[/quote]
Si

ShanghaiOrange

Oh yeah and:

"Danny Boy" in Miller's Crossing, mofos

"Atlantis","Layla", et al in Goodfellas
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Derek237

Here's an ironic use of music in Goodfellas that i've been thinking of:

The movie starts out with all these classic italian songs playing (Rags To Riches, Roses Are Red) but then as the movie and the timeframe progresses the songs are now rock (Gimmie Shelter, Sunshine of Your Love, Jump Into the Fire). The irony is that at the very end, the song playing is a rock version of an old italian classic. My Way, originally sung by Sinatra but now sung by the Sex Pistols. There's no way this was a coincidence.

SoNowThen

No, that's a perfect example.

And apparently in the end of some Sex Pistols movie, Sid finishes this song and mock "fires" a gun into the crowd, just as Tommy is "firing" at us, the audience.

...and this is also supposed to reference the last shot of The Great Train Robbery -- the first "crime" film ever made (or something like that).

I read that in Scorsese Connection. Cool huh?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Not some Sex Pistol movie. It's in The Great Rock n' Roll Swindle -- but essentially it was Sid's music video for the song. You can also see it reinacted in Sid and Nancy. I don't know if that ending works though in Goodfellas, and it's proably his best film. If that is the connection that's being made, it's totally abstracted from the narrative of the film. There's no evidence of The Great Train Robbery (nobody's ever watching it, no references made), so at best it's Scorsese's own private in-joke. It always stood out, not quite fitting, and it's because it serves no dramatic purpose.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Scene: 14: A life-size closeup picture of the leader of the outlaw band:

The film closes with a medium shot close-up of the bandit chief (with green-tinted shirt and red-tinted kerchief) (George Barnes) with his hat pushed back on his head. He points and shoots his revolver point-blank, directly into the camera (and, of course, at the audience). This caused a tremendously terrifying sensation at the time. This final punch to the film was totally irrelevant to the plot. Theater managers were free to either begin or end the picture with this scene - selecting it as either a prologue or epilogue.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Quote from: Pas RapportGreat thread idea

I would have to say that song Frank wants his friend to lip synch to, Sandman something. I'm not good at this.
Roy Orbison - In Dreams

NEON MERCURY

..everythings in the right place.....

..radiohead..

..vanilla sky

rustinglass

in heaven... everything is fine
in heaven... everything is fine
in heaven... everything is fine:
you've got your good thing...
and I've got mine.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffin

Scene: 14: A life-size closeup picture of the leader of the outlaw band:

The film closes with a medium shot close-up of the bandit chief (with green-tinted shirt and red-tinted kerchief) (George Barnes) with his hat pushed back on his head. He points and shoots his revolver point-blank, directly into the camera (and, of course, at the audience). This caused a tremendously terrifying sensation at the time. This final punch to the film was totally irrelevant to the plot. Theater managers were free to either begin or end the picture with this scene - selecting it as either a prologue or epilogue.

also was used in Tombstone, right?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mutinyco

There's still no justification for it. Doesn't matter what the reference was. I remember when I saw Goodfellas opening night, people were wondering what the point of the shot was. It didn't have any dramatic effect. It seemed out of place.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Quote from: mutinycoThere's still no justification for it. Doesn't matter what the reference was. I remember when I saw Goodfellas opening night, people were wondering what the point of the shot was. It didn't have any dramatic effect. It seemed out of place.

opening night?  that would make you like 100 right?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.