Johnny Depp is the best pirate ever.

Started by Ghostboy, July 09, 2003, 01:34:57 AM

budgie

This was such a treat, I loved everything about it and think it was amazingly well achieved. It managed to pull off a retro swashbuckler without being corny or sentimental. I thought it was exceptionally well written, the dialogue was great and the plot was perfectly paced and had enough going on. The performances aside, I loved the atmospheric design, the editing, the energy of the camerawork and the score: I thought they all hit the perfect balance between light and dark.

Johnny Depp... God, give him an Oscar. He has to be the most versatile and physically adept actor out there. As well as so stunningly gorgeous. His timing is imaculate, and yes, I agree that his performance was stuffed with improvisation. The editors must have been spoilt for choice. The first thing I thought of when he made his fabulous entrance was Adam Ant, but the Keith Richards comparison is funny. His accent was spot on, by the way, and I love what he did with his voice, lowering it and roughing it up.

I've only ever seen Orlando Bloom being interviewed, and I was dubious before seeing this, but I think he was perfectly cast (as was everyone else). Someone mentioned him being too straight, but he had to be upright... and he wasn't pompous or boring. He was a buck in the Errol Flynn mode, and the chemistry and complement with Sparrow/Depp was great - hence the frisson of them fighting side by side. I found him completely likeable and suitably energetic, absolutely convincing in a difficult part, up against Depp's charisma.

Though she seems to have won a few hearts here, I have to say the only performer I found less than wonderful was Keira Knightley, though I think she was adequate. The character was well-written, not too exaggeratedly feisty but given plenty to do, I just found the actor a little bland. I guess in the same way that some people find Bloom to be. It was a showcase for the men, though, in which she just managed to hold her own.

I do agree that it was slightly too long, but I enjoyed the whole thing so much that it doesn't really matter. Hope there's a sequel; Bloom could get to fill out his character and no doubt discover his dark side, Knightley could become more interesting and Johnny Depp could just go on and on forever.

This has made me even more of a Bruckheimer fan.

Jeremy Blackman

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieThough she seems to have won a few hearts here, I have to say the only performer I found less than wonderful was Keira Knightley, though I think she was adequate. The character was well-written, not too exaggeratedly feisty but given plenty to do, I just found the actor a little bland. I guess in the same way that some people find Bloom to be. It was a showcase for the men, though, in which she just managed to hold her own.

I found this to be the case more so in "Bend It Like Beckham" than here. I think she's getting better. And I hope as she gets more roles because of all her hype, and work with better actors (her next film is "King Arthur" with Clive Owen, another Bruckheimer production), hopefully she will absorb some of their talent.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanummm.... :shock: ..... 8)

You can be such a prig sometimes.  :yabbse-sad:

***beady***

Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom are just so damn sexy. Love them both as actors aswell of course!!!! Also the whole pirate thing is a turn on.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: budgieYou can be such a prig sometimes.  :yabbse-sad:

Are you trying to see past the movie's tired conventions, or do you see it as parody? I'm just surprised that someone like you who likes deeper & more original stuff would find so much to like in this movie.

budgie

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Are you trying to see past the movie's tired conventions, or do you see it as parody? I'm just surprised that someone like you who likes deeper & more original stuff would find so much to like in this movie.

But you also know that I think 'deeper' and 'more original' are tired critical conventions. And that I like the idea of remakes.

I would by no means call it a parody, and if it were only that I wouldn't have enjoyed it. What I like is when a film reworks genre and constantly slips between memories of other films/cultural references (eg. Depp as Keith Richards, MacGuffin's memories of the ride) and new sensations. It reworks you, if you let it. I don't think that's a trivial or 'shallow' effect, I think it's pretty deep, and isn't it the effect of all films, whatever style? I think Pirates does this excellently, with total conviction and gusto (same reason I like Goldmember) and a real barrage of information. I like it for the same reason everyone is raving about Johnny Depp: it doesn't quite fit.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: budgieKeira Knightley,

I don't quite understand her appeal either....she's cute, at times, liked her more in Beckham....not necessarly a bad casting choice here, but I think they coulda done better for the same amount of money....

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp to Play Ozzy Osbourne?
Source: The Herald Sun

After an amazing performance in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Johnny Depp is rumored to be interested in playing Ozzy Osbourne in Paramount and MTV's feature biopic about the heavy-metal prince of darkness.

According to The Herald Sun, Depp has been "fascinated" for years by the former Black Sabbath frontman-cum-reality TV star and the trade says he can't wait to take on Osbourne's distinctive accent and characteristics. Depp reportedly described Osbourne as "a deeply fascinating human".

Variety previously said that Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne gave Paramount and MTV first crack at his life rights because of the TV relationship. No writer or filmmakers had yet been hired.

It was also recently revealed that director Tim Burton wants Johnny Depp to play Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the new live-action adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic children's novel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

christ....like that fuckin' show isn't enough Ozzy bullshit already....Yeah Go MTV....the originality is amazing....

Pozer

Quote from: budgie
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

But you also know that I think 'deeper' and 'more original' are tired critical conventions. And that I like the idea of remakes.

I would by no means call it a parody, and if it were only that I wouldn't have enjoyed it. What I like is when a film reworks genre and constantly slips between memories of other films/cultural references (eg. Depp as Keith Richards, MacGuffin's memories of the ride) and new sensations. It reworks you, if you let it. I don't think that's a trivial or 'shallow' effect, I think it's pretty deep, and isn't it the effect of all films, whatever style? I think Pirates does this excellently, with total conviction and gusto (same reason I like Goldmember) and a real barrage of information. I like it for the same reason everyone is raving about Johnny Depp: it doesn't quite fit.

mmmm hmmmm
I wish I could explain things as well as this.....it doesn't quite fit.
that's nice

RegularKarate

I finally got around to seeing this and I loved it.

I mean it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not.

Very classic  and yes, Depp is awesome.  I won't go on, this topic seems to be pretty dead.  I keep seeing shit two or three weeks after everyone's done talking about it.  I just saw Whale Rider too.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffinJohnny Depp to Play Ozzy Osbourne?
Source: The Herald Sun

After an amazing performance in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Johnny Depp is rumored to be interested in playing Ozzy Osbourne in Paramount and MTV's feature biopic about the heavy-metal prince of darkness.

According to The Herald Sun, Depp has been "fascinated" for years by the former Black Sabbath frontman-cum-reality TV star and the trade says he can't wait to take on Osbourne's distinctive accent and characteristics. Depp reportedly described Osbourne as "a deeply fascinating human".

Variety previously said that Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne gave Paramount and MTV first crack at his life rights because of the TV relationship. No writer or filmmakers had yet been hired.

It was also recently revealed that director Tim Burton wants Johnny Depp to play Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the new live-action adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic children's novel.

I just lost some respect for Johnny Depp.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: budgieI would by no means call it a parody, and if it were only that I wouldn't have enjoyed it. What I like is when a film reworks genre and constantly slips between memories of other films/cultural references (eg. Depp as Keith Richards, MacGuffin's memories of the ride) and new sensations. It reworks you, if you let it. I don't think that's a trivial or 'shallow' effect, I think it's pretty deep, and isn't it the effect of all films, whatever style? I think Pirates does this excellently, with total conviction and gusto (same reason I like Goldmember) and a real barrage of information. I like it for the same reason everyone is raving about Johnny Depp: it doesn't quite fit.

I knew it.

It's either that I'm not in college mode, or that I'm too annoyed by retreads to find something like that in a movie like this. And I could probably never enjoy this movie for what it is, cause I'm suspicious of its intentions.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

any man who has seen captain ron with kurt russel would spit in your face for saying such a thing :: scoffs::

yet however was he really a pirate, or was he a captain

if i think to much about this i will end up like that guyy  Vizzini  in the princess bride played by Wallace Shawn , in that  battle of witts scene