Johnny Depp is the best pirate ever.

Started by Ghostboy, July 09, 2003, 01:34:57 AM

Pas

Quote from: markums2k
Quote from: BoothPirate movies need their Braveheart.

No kidding.  The market is wide open.  You never know... maybe someone at this site will be inspired to make it.  :-D

Huh yeah ... I meant that I want pirate movies with gore (and raping).

Quote from: markums2kCritics are actually slamming his "weird" performance, but this movie would be so incredibly bland without him.

I guess they prefer Orlando Bloom un-weird Will Turner  :roll: (assholes)

markums2k

Quote from: Booth
Quote from: markums2k
Quote from: BoothPirate movies need their Braveheart.

No kidding.  The market is wide open.  You never know... maybe someone at this site will be inspired to make it.  :-D

Huh yeah ... I meant that I want pirate movies with gore (and raping).

I wouldn't have it any other way.

And you would've rather watched Bloom for 2 1/2 hours instead of Depp?  Are we talking about the same movie? :roll:

Alethia

someone needs to make a movie about pirates as they actually were, as adult and foul and brutal and gory as can be.  i think its time for that.

as for this movie, i loved it.  did anybody just get a huge grin on their face at the beginning when depp is standing at the top of his sinking ship with his arms out to the side, and he just gracefully steps onto the dock....fuckin great.  raised my eyebrow a bit when they all turned into CGI skeletons, but quickly got over that and went with it and had a lot of fun.

MacGuffin

Disney Sets Sail for Pirates of the Caribbean Sequel!
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

With Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean doing extremely well at the box office, the studio is already talking of setting sail on a sequel to the feature.

In anticipation of the film's success, Disney had made sequel arrangements with such key cast members as Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, as well as with the behind-the-scenes duo of producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski.

The studio has also begun talks with "Pirates" writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio about drafting a sequel, though no specific story line has yet been set.

Since its opening last Wednesday, the hit film has earned more than $78 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

markums2k

Quote from: MacGuffinThe studio has also begun talks with "Pirates" writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio about drafting a sequel, though no specific story line has yet been set.

How is that likely to change at any point in the development? :roll:

Raikus

Me thinks "Pirate of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow vs. the Pirates of Darkness" be an hearty and well-earned title to this sequel, har.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pwaybloe

Sea captain: Arrr matee, narry a warning light to be seen, clear sailin' ahead for our precious cargo.
Sailor: you mean the hot pants?
Sea Captain: Aye, the hot pants.

Gold Trumpet

Finally saw this. I'm pretty dissapointed. I thought'd it be more thought out and clever than this. The first hour was dreadful. Nothing was funny and the first battle of the Pirates attacking the city was ineffective. I wish the battle would have been longer with more patience. Just another example of the flurry of editing law when dealing with a massive battle to keep its time down but destroy any effectiveness. I also questioned Depp's performance because he was so goofy but not saying anything funny. He didn't seem intimidating that much as a pirate.

Only during the end, or towards the last battle, did I start to enjoy myself. I started to like Depp and forgave him for the first hour because he was finally doing something and playing off the potential likability his character had of casually going between sides. The last battle was a major improvement as well because it followed a pacing to make the fighting more effective and was actually thought out a bit. The humor got smarter and I started caring for the characters. Kiera Knightely was maybe the stand out for me of not just being a lady taking arms, but having a wit and presence to back it.

All in all, the movie should have relied less on trying to be a drama and more a comedy. Scenes of idle chatter could have been reduced significantly and more movement of story. It should have tried to go for an action movie on the mind set of a comedy more because that would have made it more inventive. I liked the finish, but I couldn't imagine sitting through this entire thing again.

~rougerum

neatahwanta

I saw it tonight: Depp was fantastic, and yes, he held it all together.

I thought Johnny was playing a gay pirate, not Keef.

Jake_82

Just saw this tonight... I was dissapointed with the whole affair. Johnny Depp was fantastic with what the script gave him, which wasn't much. The whole first 45 minutes or so (before they leave on the army's boat) was just a sequence of events that the writer made predictable references to use in the rest of the movie. The fighting was boring, it seemed like it was obligatory filler or something to carry the predictable "plot" through. The comedy was stupid... Depp's performance was funnier than anything the script could come up with. The music bothered me... it felt like someone sat down and told a bunch of musicians "Okay, play something dramatic that can be used in an action scene." The direction was nothing special, I think Verbinski did a much better job with The Ring. I loved Johnny Depp's performance, it was one of the movie's best qualities. Most of the characters' personalities were paper-thin, but Depp managed to pull it off very well.

I didn't think the movie was especially bad, but I had my hopes up for a good pirate movie, and this was not. Yeah. I don't usually rant about movies, but for $7.25 and 2 and a half hours I think a rant is in order.
your reality is at the end of your dream

TheVoiceOfNick

I thought that the movie wasn't bad at all... my only complaint would be that the story and situations were such rip offs of Star Wars (a new hope)... Bloom's character was totally Luke Skywalker... had a mysterious past, the son of a great leader who was a good man (but obviously was bad because he was a pirate), the Obiwan Kenobi inside of Sparrow, the scene with all of the hookers where they find a crew (total Mos Eisley Cantina), certain scenes with Barbosa looking like the emporer on the death star, the last scene where sparrow is almost hung (shot similarly to how star wars ends with the awards presentation)... hell, Keira Knightley was even IN episode 1!!! This movie just begs for a prequel trilogy!

What should I have expected... there are so many star wars rip offs out there...

Nick

Alethia

so much so that its begun to rip off itself

Jeremy Blackman

The only thing I liked about this movie was Depp. Everyone in the theater gasped when he was introduced.

Pubrick

could this provoke one of those crazy novelty supporting actor Oscar nominations?
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: ewardsomeone needs to make a movie about pirates as they actually were, as adult and foul and brutal and gory as can be.  i think its time for that.

My friend is writing one as we speak. I'm helping him do a rewrite. It's gonna be like the Scarface/Gangs Of New York of pirate movies. I think it's fucking amazing. But he has no love interest, and no real "hero", and an estimated budget of 50+ million, and about a 3 hour running time.... so that rules out commercial investors, doesn't it? If somebody wants to take a chance on this film, it will be THE pirate movie.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.