80's Sci-Fi Disney flick...

Started by SoNowThen, May 08, 2003, 12:51:59 PM

SoNowThen

I can't remember what it was, it might not have even been Disney, but does anybody remember a movie where a kid gets taken up by a spaceship, he flies around for awhile, then he gets dropped off back home, but even though it didn't seem that long to him, he's actually been gone for years, and he's listed as a missing person...

It was a movie in the same vein as The Last Starfighter or The Boy Who Could Fly. I think, at some point, they take him for observation at some military complex. It's driving me nuts, 'cause I remember this from when I was a kid, but I can't think of the title.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

How could you forget Flight of the Navigator?

That was a piece of my childhood.  I remember every scene.

SoNowThen

ahhhhh..... thank you. Is this movie actually haunting and cool, or is my memory fucked because I was so young?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenThe Boy Who Could Fly.

Mmmmmmm...Lucy Deakins. Childhood lust, right up there with Kim Richards from the "Witch Mountain" movies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Yes! I remember there being a hot chick in that. And doesn't she fall for that dolt who thinks he can fly? See junk like this made me think that nice, slightly weird guys got girls. Oh how wrong the last 15 years have proven me.

* sound of hushed weeping *

Ghostboy

And she has purple hair and likes Twisted Sister!

I loved this movie so much when I was little. I don't want to watch it now. It probably sucks. I'll let the memories make me happy.

While we're on the subject of 80s sci-fi, remember Mac & Me? I never saw it when it first came out, but I caught it on late night TV a few years back; it's HILARIOUS.

SoNowThen

"It's not water... it's piss!"

Haha. I just remembered that being one of my favorite lines when I was a kid.

While we're on the subject of great 80's lines:

"100 years of darkness, cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria"
             &
"That's the bedroom, nothing happened there."  "What a crime..."

Both from Ghostbusters, the only kids' movie that has aged well for me.

SHAFTR

Wizard of Oz has aged well for me.
I could watch it everyday and still wouldn't get sick of it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Duck Sauce

Max and the ship can currently be found at Disneyworld.... rotting

RegularKarate

Quote from: GhostboyWhile we're on the subject of 80s sci-fi, remember Mac & Me? I never saw it when it first came out, but I caught it on late night TV a few years back; it's HILARIOUS.

I remember... it was this huge commercial for McDonalds.

Speaking of 80's kid's sci-fi... remember HyperSapien?

Pedro

I remember seeing a movie where these kids build a spaceship.  They end up going to space and seeing these aliens that like to watch I Love Lucy...that's all I really remember...any help there?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI remember seeing a movie where these kids build a spaceship.  They end up going to space and seeing these aliens that like to watch I Love Lucy...that's all I really remember...any help there?

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

I remember this movie about a girl who lives on a farm and a tornado sucks her up and drops her house on a witch.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateI remember this movie about a girl who lives on a farm and a tornado sucks her up and drops her house on a witch.

Skeleton FilmWorks