Gigli

Started by Pas, June 07, 2003, 10:14:51 PM

modage

this just keeps getting better and better...

Oh, and Sony's Gigli dropped a record-breaking 83% in its second weekend with only $640,000. The $54 million-budgeted romantic comedy has only earned $5.6 million.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

happy days are here again...

picolas

:arrow: fun fact:
thatyoupossiblyalreadyknew

Gigli has hit #1 on imdb's bottom 100.
followed closely by From Justin To Kelly.

markums2k

Quote from: filmcriticLet me to ya, I'm a film critic so I have to sit through junk like this all the time. When I'm stuck with something like this, all I can do is to sit back and go to sleep or look around the room and count how many seats are in the theatre. That's how bored you get.

So, do you write for kingroom.com or what?

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoob
Doubt has shifted back to sympathy.

No sympathy from me.  Quit, and then have that company give me a call.  I'll gladly fill the position.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: filmcriticLet me to ya, I'm a film critic so I have to sit through junk like this all the time. When I'm stuck with something like this, all I can do is to sit back and go to sleep or look around the room and count how many seats are in the theatre. That's how bored you get.

How in the hell are you a "film critic" if you're under 18?  

By the way, how did you get in to see this movie?

phil marlowe

Quote from: Pawbloe

By the way, how did you get in to see this movie?
it's all about convincing the doorman that you are 57.

markums2k

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: filmcriticLet me [smooch] ya, I'm a film critic...

filmcritic = a bullshitter to end all bullshitters

Cecil

Quote from: PawbloeHow in the hell are you a "film critic" if you're under 18?

everyones a critic. age is irrelevant

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedeveryones a critic. age is irrelevant

Oh, it's relevant if you can't get into the majority of movies distributed in the US.  And, yes, the majority of movies in the US are rated R.

Cecil

then said critic would just need to be accompanied by mom, or sneek in.

filmcritic

Well said, Cecil.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

ono

Ben Affleck was on Leno tonight.  Say what you want about him, I can't help but like him in interviews.  And he's willing to make fun at himself, which is always a great thing.  So yeah, check it out if you want when NBC plays it again next Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM.

budgie

Tuesday August 12, 2003

Gigli: The worst movie of the century?

Ben Affleck has admitted that his latest movie, Gigli, bombed at the box office because it "wasn't very good". Partnering Affleck with off-screen lover Jennifer Lopez, Gigli was greeted by the worst reviews of the year, and earned a feeble $3.5m in its opening weekend in the US. "[Gigli] wasn't very good and we got buried," Affleck said this week. "I think there is good work in it, scene by scene. I think the acting is good ... but I don't think ultimately the movie held up as a whole." But the Daredevil star insisted that he was not apprehensive about the upcoming release of Jersey Girl, another film he's made alongside Lopez. He stressed that Jersey Girl is "a really good movie" and added: "Jen is only in it for 10 minutes." Affleck did not say whether the two facts were related.

MacGuffin

In an interview to be published Friday, Ben Affleck comments on why he thinks "Gigli" failed - "I think actually like scene by scene there's really good stuff in there, but I don't think it hangs together as a movie, so I think fundamentally it doesn't work, but I mean the worst movie of the century? I accepted what the movie was going to be beforehand going into it. It's not fun, but I was sort of prepared for it. In fact, I felt like it failed so SPECTACULARLY that it was kind of fun and I got a real kick out of it. I feel like at least I can say I did nothing small either succeeded grandly or failed grandly, so I think you must have perspective on it. I'm at a point where maybe four or five years ago this would have seemed like the end of the world to me, but it's doesn't really. I feel very comfortable and I'd feel a lot worse if I didn't like Paycheck and Jersey Girl so I feel I got a little room to breathe".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lucinda Bryte

I think Jersey Girl will be bad also. I can't stand Kevin Smith.

I will probably rent Gigli when it comes out though cause I guess I like to torture myself.