Hellboy

Started by modage, November 12, 2003, 12:24:07 PM

speaking about posters: does anyone have a shareable pic of the dissmised Rushmore poster? I can't remember the name of the guy, but he did almost all of Yes' album covers.
context, context, context.

Ravi

Henry Hill

i dont know which i am excited for more....the movie or the dvd?  :?      by the way since when are dvds discussed in a public forum BEFORE the film comes out? its like, let me get excited for one at a time. especially if the movie blows (which it most likely will not).

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

its cool that someone is aware of the "cutout" function in photoshop, but i dont really see that as a replacement for the ultra cool drew struzan art.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Usually I'm a sucker for these things, but I don't know what's wrong with me this time. I just can't enjoy the trailers, even from a fun and campy point of view. More like disgust. I dunno. I loved Blade II and del Toro is cool in my book, it's just...You know how there's always somethings that should never be adapted into a movie, because even though the look is right and it might please the fans, the look is still shit? To me, Hellboy is one of those.

Stefen

At best buy they are giving out a free preview dvd of hell boy with some sneak peeks and making of stuff, it was free if you buy any dvd, i picked up schindlers list and futurama volume 3 and got it. Just a heads up.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

This movie...man, Ron Pearlman is so great. SO GREAT. You have no idea how cool he is in this. Guillermo Del Toro is amazing (I'm listening to his Blade 2 commentary again now, just to get another dose of his genius). The makeup better get an Oscar. The last scene made me think that this is the Lost In Translation of superhero monster movies....it was beautiful.

phil marlowe

man, my love for ron pearlman and superhero flicks makes me so excited about this you couldn't imagine

Ugh..

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Okay.. Hellboy.. The character.. was nailed...  Ron Pearlman was a lot of fun to watch.

The rest of the movie was total shit.   The screenplay was shit, the love story was shit,  there was some shitty acting all over the place...  The lame ass lines that were dropped all over the place...  FUCK

So dissapointed.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Pas

Quote from: GhostboyThis movie...man, Ron Pearlman is so great. SO GREAT. You have no idea how cool he is in this. Guillermo Del Toro is amazing (I'm listening to his Blade 2 commentary again now, just to get another dose of his genius). The makeup better get an Oscar. The last scene made me think that this is the Lost In Translation of superhero monster movies....it was beautiful.

HAHAHAHA

Henry Hill

i am going to let the "critics" write their reviews on this one. i am curious to hear what you guys think of Hellboy. i enjoyed the film. ron pearlman was amazing. i have never seen an actor in a comic book film have as much fun with his/her character as ron pearlman did as hellboy. having never read the comic, nor had i heard of it, i had no expectations. the theater was packed for the first showing. i wondered if it was all people who were familiar with the comic. anyways, i had fun with it. i give Hellboy  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

modage

i dont know what went wrong here.  i thought the costumes/makeup/setdesign/look of the movie was fantastic.  i thought it had a cool setup and interesting characters to work with.  and yet, the movie just never really took off for me.  in a handful of the ejaculatory AICN reviews, people really seemed to be geeking out during this and maybe it was just me, but i never really had one of those moments.  like, when you want to elbow your buddy and go 'holy shit, did you see that?'. even bad movies have them sometimes.  the whole movie just kept me at an arms length, and i never really got invested in any of the characters or the plot, both of which seemed underdeveloped. thats the real shame here, is that where i cant really point out anything that stuck out as being 'bad', it just never really got good, REALLY good.  i had a good time watching it, but the real litmus test is whether or not i want to buy it immediately after watching, and i dont.  maybe it was just my mood, i'd be willing to give it another shot on dvd.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

For me, there weren't any 'holy shit' moments as far as the action scenes went -- Del Toro will probably never top 'Blade 2' in that regard, as that's almost all that film really was -- but I personally really loved the characters in this, and felt that there was sufficient emphasis on them. Like when Hellboy has just finished fighting that one dude and immediately puts his ear to the floor to get back to listening to what Liz is saying - or even the whole spying on the rooftop scene, which was cute but did its job perfectly. Also, Hellboy's relationship with John Hurt, as sketchy as it was, still built to a (for me) very moving climax.

As far as great superhero movies go, X2 had a  better script and more precise character development, but 'Hellboy' has Ron Pearlman as Hellboy and all that that entails, so I'd say they're equals -- as far as great superhero movies go.

From the trailers, I was expecting not to like Abe Sapien, but he was pretty amazing and I was disappointed when he was left out of the last act.