Favourite silent movie

Started by cine, August 03, 2003, 12:03:16 PM

Mesh

Hey, has this been mentioned yet?:

It's this totally creepy "document" about witches and demons and shit.  Criterion's DVD helps you through it a lot.  Keep an eye out for those masturbating demon/cherub things.  Disturbing old film, especially considering its age.

molly

Quote from: cronopio l'inrockuptibleOncle molly, oncle .   :wink:

i remember watching thoswe movies long ago, and i remember that the character of that uncle was kinda spooky to me, autistic. Didn't like it for some reason.

pete

sorry to enter this discussion late--but if we include mon oncle and mr. bean does that mean we're gonna we'll include slapstick movies in general?  'Cause there are quite a few scenes in mon oncle where the gags are audio-based, in fact, some of the biggest laughs in the film comes from the diagetic sounds.
does triplets of belleville count, then?

since most of all classics have been brought up, I'll toss in them brakhage films.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jklivin

The General and The Crowd are probably my fave silent films.

SoNowThen

I looked up The General on imdb and saw that someone different than Keaton directed it (?). So why is it always referred to as a "Keaton film"?

Anyway, I know dick about silent films, having only seen three: Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, Metropolis. I didn't like any of them, but of the three I'd pick Nosferatu.

My friends just bought me City Lights for my birthday, so hopefully I'll dig it...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

well, he wrote, produced, starred in, stunt-coordinated, and edited it.
- Buster Keaton

SoNowThen

which I guess leads me to ask, why didn't he direct it?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

City Lights.

I found it hard to restrain myself from applauding Chaplin's genius in setting up the mistaken identity in the relationship between the flower girl and the tramp. If Modern Lights weren't so funny, I'm sure City Lights would be my favourite Chaplin movie. Hope you enjoy it, SoNowThen.

Im pretty eager to get into Buster Keaton and I see that Region 1 has an impressive looking boxset.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

pete

Quote from: SoNowThenwhich I guess leads me to ask, why didn't he direct it?

I dunno, maybe because it's hard?
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: pete

Have you guys seen the General?

Pubrick

Quote from: 50 CentiphileHave you guys seen the General?
SNT never talks about movies he's seen.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: ®edlumIm pretty eager to get into Buster Keaton and I see that Region 1 has an impressive looking boxset.
If you like Chaplin, you should go for the Keaton box set. I own it and it's probably the best box set I own. Warner Bros is planning to release some Keaton films but I'm confident that they won't be able to surpass what Kino has produced.

SoNowThen

Quote from: 50 Centiphile
Quote from: pete

Have you guys seen the General?

Look a few posts above. I say I've only seen 3 silent films and then I list them.

I was JUST WONDERING and hoping those with the silent film love could help a Xixax brother out with some info.

No need for flaming...

pete

- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: SoNowThen
Look a few posts above. I say I've only seen 3 silent films and then I list them.

I was JUST WONDERING and hoping those with the silent film love could help a Xixax brother out with some info.
I'm guessing Keaton didn't direct it because it was a large epic in the veins of one of Griffith's works. Since Keaton masterminded just about everything else, it only made sense for one of his friends to direct the rest of the picture.