What do you have under your hood(figuratively speaking)

Started by Recce, February 12, 2003, 04:40:23 PM

Cecil

Quote from: BonBon85Mac or PC.

i say mac too. but that doesnt mean that a pc cant do the job right as well. i guess when it all comes down to it, it depends on how much money youre willing to spend. keep in mind that the emacs are not that pricey. and making the "switch" from pc to mac isnt that hard anyway. its actually pretty fun.

BonBon85

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAnyway, if you want to do animation, get that program the animators used for Waking Life (and then tell me how you got it).

Thanks for the advice. I've actually emailed the guy who created the Waking Life software, but he's decided not to release it. Back to long hours on flash for me.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: XixaxCorrect.

Check out http://www.pricewatch.com. I just picked the cheapest online retailer.

I just got this....I think it's a pretty good score.....got it for $200.
http://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/pioneer-dvr-a05.html

ReelHotGames

I just added AVID Media Composer 10 to my system... Pretty Sweet. I still have to say I'm more comfortable in Premiere, but with time that might change.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

aclockworkjj

Quote from: michael alessandroI just added AVID Media Composer 10 to my system... Pretty Sweet. I still have to say I'm more comfortable in Premiere, but with time that might change.

How is that program?....is it based pretty well off from the actually AVID bays???....sorry, I know nothing about the program, but have heard about it a few times...

ReelHotGames

It's a fairly good simulation of an AVID bay, though it has been a few years since I've been hands on in a bay, so I'm not sure how it currently measures up. I am still working my kinks out with it, but it has some truly amazing features.

If you know AVID it's easy to step into and makes you feel like a real pro on your home system.

aclockworkjj

Well, what do you perfer out of all the different programs.....this Avid 100, Premiere, Vegas....etc.???  I have forever been a Premiere at home Final Cut at work bitch....but I am starting to look into different programs for my PC...

ReelHotGames

I still have to say that Premiere really gives me all I need. Or can at least import anything I need to do elsewhere, I edit my web series with premiere 6.0 and 6.5 and think it handles great. I think all the faults I have in editing are of my own design in shooting and editing ratrher than the program.

I think premiere has an easy to use interface, handles all the video and lines of audio. The built in audio editing is fairly crummy, but I wouldn't use any video editing to do audio work, I always clean it, change it in audio specific editors like Sound Forge and the like.

So I'm a Premiere guy, though I do like the AVID programs for the "feeling" of the pro edit bay. I'm not a Final Cut guy but that's because I do the majority of my work on PC's, I have used MAC and Final Cut for several projects and it's a simple interface and easy to use and yadda-yadda, and I know all the "pro's" use Final Cut, but I always feel less professional working in it, I don't knwo why, but it doens't feel right to me.

I've used Vegas, but again, just doesn't feel right for me and I guess the thing is you have to find what program you like and are comfortable in, and use that.

There are features on each I really like, AVID has this image stabalizer that is really solid in eliminating minor camera bumps etc. You don't get that elsewhere to the extent of AVID, to make a short story long.............. Premiere for me, thank you.

Sprimetv

Premiere is a sinch to get started with and once youre used to it i don't think there's anything better.  Everyone will argue that final cut is better, and it is, but for some reason i use premiere much more often.

Yea i agree there's something about final cut that makes me feel like i'm just playing around.  OSX gives me that feeling too.  guess i'm just too sensitive
public access is funniest when drunk

mutinyco

I got a Titanium PowerBook G4 when they first came out. 400 mhz, 384 mb ram. The lowest of the low. Just installed Jaguar. Very happy. I used Final Cut 2 on my last 2 shorts, but just upgraded to 3. HAS ANYBODY GOTTEN 4 YET?

I'm Avid certified, and while I like all of the tools Avid offers, I usually work on Final Cut. My initial training was on a Steenbeck -- traditional flatbed -- and I started on Final Cut without any experience and picked up on the basics pretty fast.

They're lowering the prices and doing big upgrades on the G4s. G5s are right around the corner...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mutinycoMy initial training was on a Steenbeck -- traditional flatbed

They're lowering the prices and doing big upgrades on the G4s. G5s are right around the corner...

A steenbeck...holy crap, I used those in college, although definately fun, I will take a computer anyday..:lol:

If cost is an issue with you....Mac offers a ton of student deals on computers and software....student or not....it's not hard to find someone who is taking at least one class....

mutinyco

Long live the Steenbeck! Although I'm partial to digital, I get pissed off when I meet film school brats who joke about traditional cutting -- saying they can't imagine cutting a movie like that. Well, up until a few years ago, EVERY MOVIE ever made was cut like that...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mutinycoL I get pissed off when I meet film school brats who joke about traditional cutting --

That would be me...although, we used Steenbecks, guillotine splicers, moviolas....shit like that, it is fun to go at it like that, but computers just make it so much easier....