Started by ProgWRX, December 09, 2003, 03:08:41 PM

ProgWRX

-Carlos

pete

miss cross is in it!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinI wish someone here would see it and tell us if it was any good.
I just came back from it. Yes, it was good. VERY good.

modage

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: MacGuffinI wish someone here would see it and tell us if it was any good.
I just came back from it. Yes, it was good. VERY good.

this movie just kicked my ass!  it was so freaking good.  first of all, the movie really is peter pan like you've never seen it before.  it was the closest thing to the book thats ever been put on celluloid, and whats great is they didnt 'movie it up' by inserting 3 act structure here and watering down violence, innuendo there.  they just told the story, and it was great.  it also allowed for the barries themes in the book to be much more present in the film like they were in the story.  also, it was really funny and it never pandered to kids (hook).  i thought the look was great and the special effects didnt bother me at all because they worked for this film, which is surreal and fantastic, not ultra realistic.  this movie is definintely going in my top 10 for 2003.  see this movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Good review, mod. You did the work for me. :wink:
And yeah, about the hook thing -- kids in the theatre gasped loudly at that, and then I had to laugh.

ProgWRX

are you all playing a joke on me? i made this thread because i had seen the movie and really enjoyed it...

:?  :cry:  :?:
-Carlos

cine

What are you? Manic depressive or something?
We saw the movie last night and really liked it.

ProgWRX

haha ... it wasnt directed at you, but after i posted the thread and commented on the movie, there was a post that said something like "i wish someone would see the movie bla bla.."

and im here like ... uh.. *raises hand* hello?!  :lol:  lol
-Carlos

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: CinephileI just came back from it. Yes, it was good. VERY good.

this movie just kicked my ass!  it was so freaking good.  first of all, the movie really is peter pan like you've never seen it before.  it was the closest thing to the book thats ever been put on celluloid, and whats great is they didnt 'movie it up' by inserting 3 act structure here and watering down violence, innuendo there.  they just told the story, and it was great.  it also allowed for the barries themes in the book to be much more present in the film like they were in the story.  also, it was really funny and it never pandered to kids (hook).  i thought the look was great and the special effects didnt bother me at all because they worked for this film, which is surreal and fantastic, not ultra realistic.  this movie is definintely going in my top 10 for 2003.  see this movie.

At Last! I'm glad some members here finally did go and see it after all this speculation and gave us a good word. I'll definitely check it out now based on these two reviews. Thank you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

I wish I had got Macguffin a Christmas gift
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

Man, this movie was amazing. In fact, I think it's perfect. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd put it over both Whale Rider AND Finding Nemo as far as family films go this year. Pure magic. The "I do believe in fairies" scene made my hair stand on end.

My only gripe (spoilerish if you don't know the story): they did such a good job at making Hook a sympathetic villain that I felt really bad when he died.

It makes me very sad to think about what a bomb it will likely be. Perhaps the eminent box office report will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

I wish I had seen it yesterday, because then I would have had a very good birthday indeed.

©brad

wow. so we should see this?

i luved hook, btw.

Ghostboy

I loved Hook when I was eleven. I haven't seen it since, and don't really have a whole lot of interest in it. Figure it's something best left as a childhood memory.

cine

Quote from: SlogI wish I had got Macguffin a Christmas gift
I got him one, and in return, he gave me three coldsores.

Alethia

this movie was great.  

but.....did anyone else think the teeth of the girl who played wendy were fuckin huge?