The Wrestler

Started by MacGuffin, October 12, 2007, 12:25:18 AM

nix

The academy never ceases to befuddle me. How could something as tepid and formulaic as Benjamin Button get a best picture nom and something as honest and heart wrenching as this get snubbed?

Nevermind. Old and pointless question.

What struck me about this film was the suspense. Not  a conventional, thriller type but the suspense created by the fact that Randy always seems on the verge of being seriously injured.

Yeah, it's obviously an actors film but to ignore the other aspects that make it so engaging would be the kind of mistake only the academy would make.

"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Pozer

Aronofsky handled this material brilliantly. i think my favorite example of what bonanzataz said about maturity is the camera following Randy throughout. he could've chopped it up or even went w/his attach the camera to the actor trademark gimmick. instead he simply followed him and kept following him.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 14, 2009, 12:02:58 AM
It's a really good film. 

Gamblour.

Saw this loved it Academy fucked Boyle dumb.
WWPTAD?

Pwaybloe

I purchased a ticket at the theater to view this movie.  This movie was very good, and I was impressed with the filmmaking quality.  The Academy of Arts & Sciences engaged in intercourse.  The film director, Danny Boyle, is unintelligent.   

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

hedwig

Stefen

Oscar nominee Mickey Rourke has signed to wrestle WWE superstar in Houston

Several years ago, Will Smith starred as legendary boxer Muhammad Ali in a movie.

It was a movie. Play acting. Pretend.

Smith didn't actually get into a ring and box 12 rounds with Mike Tyson for real.

Now Mickey Rourke is winning awards for his role as professional wrestler Randy the Ram in the acclaimed movie The Wrestler.

That's the difference between boxing and pro wrestling.

Rourke has signed to wrestle WWE superstar Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania 25 in Reliant Stadium on April 5. For real, or as real as pro wrestling can be.

Rourke made the surprise announcement Sunday night on the red carpet before the Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles. He told Access Hollywood that he was pleased by the acceptance of The Wrestler by all the WWE wrestlers — except Jericho.

"So come Wrestlemania 25 in Houston, I'm going to toss him around the ring like tossed salad. Chris Jericho, you better get in shape," Rourke promised, or threatened, or whatever you call it when wrestlers don't particularly care for each other.

Jericho, appearing on WWE television, said, "You are out of line. It's one thing to play a wrestler in a movie, something entirely different to actually be one. Your comments offended me. You made a mistake. It's the last thing that you and Ric Flair want to do, and that's offend Chris Jericho.""

In a related development, tickets for Wrestlemania 25 at Reliant Stadium are for sale at www.ticketmaster.com.

By the way, what does Ric Flair have to do with any of this?

According to Jericho, it was wrestling legend Flair who talked Rourke into thinking he could actually be a wrestler.

Rourke admits that Flair is "teaching me some tricks."

The only thing Flair will admit to is, "Let's just say, I will be at Wrestlemania, and that's all I'm saying."

In wrestling talk, that means, "I am training Rourke, Chris Jericho is in a heap of trouble and whatever other rumors you're hearing, they're all true."

If this is true, I will shit myself. The best thing about The Wrestler was how it wasn't really about a corny, rednecky WWE wrestler. It was about a human being going through the motions of a life that may have passed him by. This is fucking stupid if true.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

As much attention as Rourke is getting now, we all know his career will be over again as soon as the day after the Oscars. He may get a few roles here and there, but he will have to get into stupid shit like that if he wants to make some mula.

MacGuffin

Mickey Rourke won't rumble with WWE superstar

HOUSTON – A spokeswoman for actor Mickey Rourke says he won't be taking his role as a professional wrestler into a real-life ring after all.

Paula Woods told The Associated Press on Wednesday night that Rourke will not wrestle WWE superstar Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania 25 in April at Houston's Reliant Stadium.

Woods wrote in an e-mail that the Oscar-nominated actor "will not be participating in Wrestlemania. He is focusing entirely on his acting career."

Rourke portrays professional wrestler Randy the Ram in the acclaimed movie "The Wrestler." He made a surprise announcement about the wrestling event Sunday night on the red carpet before the Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles.

Rourke had said he was going to toss Jericho "around the ring like tossed salad."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

haha, his publicist probably told him, "Are you fucking nuts? You're on the verge of winning an Oscar! Snap outta it!"

private witt

If Rourke was serious, or if he was just feeding the industrial gossip complex to help his Oscar hype,  neither would surprise me.  Though he did a four year run as a professional boxer (albeit a pretty bad one).
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

hedwig

Quote from: Stefen on January 29, 2009, 07:27:19 AM
haha, his publicist probably told him, "Are you fucking nuts Eddie Murphy? You're on the verge of winning an Oscar! Snap outta it!"

Stefen

haha, yeah, I was thinking of Norbit. Or when Burt Reynolds started talking shit about Hollywood right after Boogie Nights.