Juno

Started by MacGuffin, September 15, 2007, 10:44:31 AM

hedwig

Quote from: Cinephile on December 22, 2007, 11:08:52 PM
yeah but don't listen to hedwig though.. cause like ebert, he's LOST IT.

what, my mouth?

polkablues

Poor Ebert... the jaw was the source of all his powers.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on December 22, 2007, 10:40:16 PM
it's okay for a post or two, but whats up with these juno shitters keep on turning the conversation into the shitty movies they've seen in the past?  if you wanna shit on brick, go to the brick thread. 

Let me guess, you oppose the brick bashing just because you like it? I've never seen you so concerned about thread logistics before.

cine

i propose renaming this thread to jawno. (as in "jaw? no.")

Stefen

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's not start throwing around ugly stereotypes!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

i know, someone's gonna lose their jaw.

pete

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 22, 2007, 11:41:04 PM
Quote from: pete on December 22, 2007, 10:40:16 PM
it's okay for a post or two, but whats up with these juno shitters keep on turning the conversation into the shitty movies they've seen in the past?  if you wanna shit on brick, go to the brick thread.

Let me guess, you oppose the brick bashing just because you like it? I've never seen you so concerned about thread logistics before.

haha, actually I'm opposing it just to piss you off.
(and what do you mean never concerned?  you oughta check out that stupid thing about the movie thread.)

Quote from: Cinephile on December 22, 2007, 11:42:33 PM
i propose renaming this thread to jawno. (as in "jaw? no.")

if the catholic league kids keep on going, then we can rename it "jewno".
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

hedwig

uh.. i don't get that last one.

B.C. Long

You Juno what he means?

cine

juno you fucked that up?

B.C. Long

Not if you're Cuban and Al Pacino.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

cine

my jaw just dropped.

©brad

ok as not funny as this page is, let's see if we can get back on track before we run yet another thread into the ground.

i just saw this last night, and like polka i walked out genuinely happy. to me this is the little miss sunshine of the year in that it's a flawed movie almost too sweet to pick on, of course until you see ppl lobbying it as the best movie of the year, which it's not. then you're almost forced to pick on it.

Quote from: elpablo on November 09, 2007, 12:20:49 PMThe dialogue works best in the scenes where Juno talks to them because it serves to show how contained and naive she is and how she's definitely not ready to have a kid. The language also speaks to the way that a lot of people today seem apprehensive towards honesty, masking everything they with a thick layer of apathy and sarcasm.

yeah i would agree with this. granted there are definitely some cringe-inducing lines ("honest to blog" being the most cringey), and the cynic in me could probably tear apart the undeniably overwritten, self-indulgent script that screams "LOOK HOW CLEVER I AM" as it shoves its hipster doctrine down your throat, but i really don't want to do that, because there are some brilliant moments and some brilliant lines of dialogue, particularly towards the end, and maybe i'm just a sucker for honest, earned sentimentality, or maybe it's just the time of year, but at the end of the day it got me smiling and, as i already mentioned, i did walk out happy.   

all language bitching aside, i think the bigger issue is with length. like sunshine, i felt this was at least 3 scenes too short, and many scenes themselves felt truncated.

JG

haha power was out here so i didn't get to follow the progression of this thread, but i too saw this last night and i'm with hedwig. 

i liked most of bateman's stuff. that was the most effective because it was, as hedwig pointed out, the most human.  if you guys want to make comparisons to little miss sunshine, then fine.. i had the same experience with this as i did that.  everybody was laughing, and i was not.  seriously, the one thing i really laughed at (something bateman said) NO ONE else seemed to find humorous.  during the movie, the girl i was with whispered into my hear "i think the writer is confused."  she was, and i was.

its a shame cos towards the end there are few endearing moments, but i knew i could never appreciate them.  they are weighed down so much by amateur writing. the story is a good one, and i don't think that any scene is unnecessary, its just most things within the scene. 

oh, i liked the mustache joke.