Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Started by MacGuffin, May 05, 2007, 12:56:33 AM

Gamblour.

In the midst of all the remake badness and inanity, I have to say that this is a fucking great idea. I'd pay to see this on opening night. I think Wall Street is brilliant and a Sheen appearance would totally be icing on the cake.
WWPTAD?

Reinhold

late to the party, but:

Gekko crawls back to Wall Street
Michael Douglas is to reprise his role as ruthless corporate raider Gordon Gekko in a sequel to the hit movie Wall Street, says 20th Century Fox.

Director Oliver Stone, who made the first movie, has also agreed to work on the sequel, which is yet to secure a release date.

The script is expected to mirror the current credit crisis and recession.

Douglas won a best actor Oscar for his performance in the 1987 film, which also starred Martin and Charlie Sheen.

His character, Gekko, is a powerful investor who schools a young protege in making money by shady means.

He also delivered some of the film's most memorable quotes: "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," and "Lunch? Are you joking? Lunch is for wimps."

Production on the sequel is expected to begin this summer.

Douglas, 68, will next be seen opposite Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner in romantic comedy Ghosts Of, which opens in the UK this weekend.

Stone's most recent movie was biopic W, about former US President George W Bush, which made a modest $29.4m (£20.3m) worldwide.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/8024187.stm

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gold Trumpet

Money Never Sleeps title is dead. Thank you

Douglas confirms the title change here (at end of clip) :

Also, looks like this film could be released by end of the year. So says a Fox report.

Gold Trumpet

Anton Chigurh, Mutt Williams Join 'Wall Street 2'
Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 11:52AM
Source: http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2009/6/2/anton-chigurh-mutt-williams-join-wall-street-2.html

You might have rolled your eyes at the news of a Wall Street sequel, although I'd contend that this is the best time to make one (or maybe a year ago was), and there's more to discuss on the Greed is Good front. And on the surface, Wall Street 2 is not an empty shell of a sequel, like so many are 20 years later. Oliver Stone is directing and Michael Douglas is back as Gordon Gekko.

Now, Deadline Hollywood Daily says Javier Bardem and Shia LaBeouf will join the cast, Shia playing a young trader engaged to Gekko's estranged daughter and Bardem coming on as a shady hedge fund manager. OK, "shady" is redundant in that sentence. There are plot points about both guys I won't go into, because they're less about Gordon Gekko, and it sounds like there may be more going on than there needs to be.

As for Gekko, though, he will apparently be rebuilding his career after spending time behind bars, meaning he'll be more sympathetic than he was in the original. Of course, History Channel biographies on Stalin are more sympathetic than our first exposure to Gordon Gekko.

Stone begins shooting in August with a February opening likely from Fox. Depending on how involved the supporting cast is, it could be great. I don't want to see Gekko reduced to being a facilitator for Shia LaBeouf, and I hope there's more for Bardem to do than just a couple menacing scenes, not that he wouldn't be great at it.

Alexandro

i really don't know what to think. sounds generic, but the original wall street is generic too. so who knows???

Gold Trumpet

I'm not too confident. There is a subplot involving Gekko and his daughter that just irks me. On paper it sounds bad and the update here is that they are trying to jam a headline with the funds merger into a seemingly bad family drama story. The worry is that it will come off as forced and nonsensical. Besides, the new script writer has less than a stellar track record.

©brad

Yeah GT I kind of agree. The thing that worries me most is the idea of Gekko being "more sympathetic." I don't need or want to see him redeem himself. That would take all the fun out of his character.

Quote from: Alexandro on June 02, 2009, 04:58:19 PM
i really don't know what to think. sounds generic, but the original wall street is generic too. so who knows???

How is the original generic?

Gold Trumpet

From what I hear Gekko will still ultimately be a villian.

Spoilers

The storyline involving his daughter is to make him look like he is trying to redeem himself, but alterior motives will be at play.

Gold Trumpet

Exclusive: We know who Winnie Gecko is gonna be in MONEY NEVER SLEEPS! 
By El Mayimbe on June 18, 2009       

After going on the hunt for this story for a hot minute, Latinoreview has exclusively learned that British actress Carey Mulligan, best known to American audiences for her role in Pride & Prejudice, is going to get cast as Gordon Gecko's daughter Winnie in Oliver Stone's WALL STREET sequel MONEY NEVER SLEEPS.

Winnie Gecko plays a major part in the story as she is the fiancee of Jacob (Shia LaBeouf's character).  Winnie hasn't spoken to her father Gordon in 11 years while he was away in prison.  Winnie and Gordon's relationship is estranged since she blames her father for the suicide of her brother Rudy.

Taking place 21 years after the events in WALL STREET and set in the world of hedge fund managers around election time, Gordon Gecko agrees to help Jacob get his revenge against a hedge fund manager as long as Jacob helps restore and mend Gordon's relationship with Winnie. Winnie works for a senator in Washington, DC.

Stefen

It's some some kind of big elaborate hoax that I want to believe in but I'm reluctant.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on June 18, 2009, 06:47:54 PM
It's some some kind of big elaborate hoax that I want to believe in but I'm reluctant.

That Carey Mulligan was cast? That this film is even being made? What?

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

She's aging pleasantly.  I don't know if I can believe her in any role where her main motivation is anything other than buying ribbons for the ball, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

I have no comment on Carey Mulligan or why Stefen picks this project (of all things) to disbelieve. I'm just glad the young actress for the role isn't a model turned thespian. It's annoying when producers assume the qualities of youth are best displayed in younger models because everyone's daughter these days is really hot. The normalcy of models in girl next door roles is ridiculous. Who knows if Carey Mulligan will do much, but I'm happy someone like her was hired.

Stefen

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on June 18, 2009, 07:57:03 PM
I have no comment on Carey Mulligan or why Stefen picks this project (of all things) to disbelieve.

Because it sounds fucking stupid. Wall Street 2 starring Shia Lebeouf? At least Bad Lieutenant 2 isn't taking itself very seriously.