Cassandra's Dream

Started by MacGuffin, August 19, 2007, 02:30:47 AM

tpfkabi

man, did woody sell his soul to Blockbuster?

(it's a Blockbuster exclusive - i've been waiting for a used rental copy).

i really don't understand the exclusive bit for a film like this that isn't well known publicly.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

w/o horse

Quote from: bigideas on October 20, 2008, 02:22:39 PM

i really don't understand the exclusive bit for a film like this that isn't well known publicly.

All Weinstein Company and subsidiary dvd releases are Blockbuster exclusive.  Nothing to do with Woody Allen himself.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

tpfkabi

Quote from: w/o horse on October 20, 2008, 02:47:22 PM
Quote from: bigideas on October 20, 2008, 02:22:39 PM

All Weinstein Company and subsidiary dvd releases are Blockbuster exclusive.  Nothing to do with Woody Allen himself.

ok.

one thing i have noticed - they've had new DVD's of his older stuff marked at $4.99. i got Zelig the other day.

Ravi

Quote from: bigideas on October 20, 2008, 03:38:14 PM
one thing i have noticed - they've had new DVD's of his older stuff marked at $4.99. i got Zelig the other day.

Big Lots has the two smaller MGM box sets for about $15 each.

Gold Trumpet

This is the only Woody Allen I had to shut off half way through. I always knew Woody Allen was a fan of genres and liked putting his spin on them (my personal favorite is Everyone Says I Love You, a spin on the musical) but this is a tac for tac replication of the mold in which it came from. Too much of the dialogue was dedicated to the plot situation at hand and the character examination that veered off the plot was minimal. It became tiresome to watch so I had to shut it off.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on October 20, 2008, 10:11:22 PM
This is the only Woody Allen I had to shut off half way through. I always knew Woody Allen was a fan of genres and liked putting his spin on them (my personal favorite is Everyone Says I Love You, a spin on the musical) but this is a tac for tac replication of the mold in which it came from. Too much of the dialogue was dedicated to the plot situation at hand and the character examination that veered off the plot was minimal. It became tiresome to watch so I had to shut it off.

You really should see the rest. That's when the best character stuff comes, even though I loved all of it.
Si

tpfkabi

Quote from: Ravi on October 20, 2008, 03:39:36 PM
Quote from: bigideas on October 20, 2008, 03:38:14 PM

Big Lots has the two smaller MGM box sets for about $15 each.

Thanks!
I only found one of them for $13, but they had tons of great DVd's for $3.
I got The Passenger, Paths of Glory, Talk to Her, Panic Room 3 disc SE, and I couldn't pass up the entire Season One of Who's the Boss even though I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of the show. There were even more though. I figured it would be all direct to DVD type movies like you find at Dollar General.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on October 21, 2008, 06:25:49 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on October 20, 2008, 10:11:22 PM

You really should see the rest. That's when the best character stuff comes, even though I loved all of it.

Spoiler

I saw until Colin Farrel's character was on the brink of killing himself. Did I really miss much?

Alexandro

spoiler

he's "in the brink" for like the last half hour of the film...

there's nothing even attempting to give you anything new here. the enjoyment you may get out of it is in the acting and the stylistic choices (music, framing) allen may have.

i enjoyed the chemistry between the two brothers, and the darkly sinister yet kinda funny way in which the uncle is played by tom wilkinson. they are all very good at this "cornered animal" behaviour. i wished too it hasn't been all so by the numbers and predictable, because despite of it I was having a very good time watching it.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Alexandro on October 21, 2008, 11:42:25 AM
spoiler

he's "in the brink" for like the last half hour of the film...

there's nothing even attempting to give you anything new here. the enjoyment you may get out of it is in the acting and the stylistic choices (music, framing) allen may have.

i enjoyed the chemistry between the two brothers, and the darkly sinister yet kinda funny way in which the uncle is played by tom wilkinson. they are all very good at this "cornered animal" behaviour. i wished too it hasn't been all so by the numbers and predictable, because despite of it I was having a very good time watching it.

SPOILERS!

I really didn't think all of it was predictable and by the numbers. I was constantly in doubt about certain scenes in the movie: were they really going to kill the guy? What's the deal with McGregor's girl? Can we trust her?

Yes, it's a movie more about the chemistry between the people in it, and a study on humans and how far will we go to get what we want. But I think it was also very effective as a thriller and as a tragedy. Also, I think the ending alone is amazing.
Si