Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Started by MacGuffin, July 01, 2007, 10:24:52 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Mild spoilers.

Again, this movie worked for me. I think I was able to intuitively ignore the various problems in the writing. I had some issues with the ex-wife/daughter subplot, which was a bit cartoonish. And the script does in fact pigeonhole the two brothers (PSH's character is the "asshole," Ethan Hawke's character is the "baby"). But I think it becomes more complex. Ethan Hawke overacts a bit, sure, but I think he does something interesting... you're not sure whether to have sympathy for his character as everything piles on top of him or just pity him for his stupidity/immaturity. PSH made his character from scratch, and from my perspective, this is one of his best. The scene where he lazily trashes his place is just amazing, as well as the very confusing scene in the car leaving the thing. Is he shallow? In some ways. Is the character itself cinematically shallow? No. He's mysterious.

Also, I like what Tomei did with the insecurity angle. It worked.

What I really loved about the movie was the overall feeling of desperation, helplessness, and confusion. I got into it. PSH plus some skillful editing and camerawork really did it for me. Maybe I liked this movie so much because I was totally ready for a stomach-punching emotion movie after seeing Darjeeling.

If you're worried you've been spoiled because you've seen the robbery in a trailer, don't be. That's the second scene of the film. It's not about the robbery, it's about the consequences.

Alexandro

just wanted to join the others here. i didnt't want to believe it but this was bad. predictable as shit, horrible dialogue, too long. psh is good, but no one else.

tomei is great too, but she had nothing to do except get naked and make this worthwile.

SiliasRuby

Sidney's best in year and it well worth the cash. I've seen it four times. It feels like it was made by a guy in his 20's rather than someone in their 70's. PSH is understandable but and sympathetic but could be seen as one evil bastard when you look at it another way. Ethan hawke gives another mesmorizing performance as a complete fuck up. All of the supporting actors actually seemed like their characters and none of the characters seemed like the actors they are. High recommendation. I can't believe more people haven't seen this....

get your hands on it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection