surf's up (plus a rant against mockumentaries)

Started by pete, June 22, 2007, 02:16:53 AM

pete

I know I know, I'm the asshole who complains about the lack of interesting movies being watched on this board, and then I went right back into taking 30 of our country's brightest children from inner city San Francisco to watch this piece of shit movie.
It actually wasn't a piece of a shit, just a really really expensive bore.  It's a perfect artifact for everything forgettably trendy in 2006-2007.  It's an animated mockumentary about surfing penguins, with Jon Heder's lending his voice talent no less.  It's got penguins, stale jokes going over children's heads, extreme sport, mockumentary, and talking animals all rolled into one.  This is the anti-pixar movie.  some idiot somehow thinks that jokes that go over children's head in an animation is hip and will automatically be funny, when it's as annoying as greasy broadway actors raising their brows at the front row.
I had such high hopes for mockumentary two years ago, as I started working on my own about a Dojo falling apart, getting super giddy over arrested and the office.  now we've uncovered it for what it really is (with a very special thanks to the season premiere of Entourage)--it's comedy at its laziest.  every gag has become shorthand and big punchlines have been sacrificed for realism.  throwaway gags like bickering or slapstick violence are now in the place of big laughs, and pettiness is replacing subtlety.
What a sad day for comedy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

clerkguy23

Quote from: pete on June 22, 2007, 02:16:53 AM

that's a little extreme, i think. a sad day for comedy is when carlos mencia gets his own show and the majority of america loves it. a sad day for comedy is when dane cook comes out with yet another movie that sports him as the main comedic character, ignoring the fact that he's a fucking monkey-whore who keeps putting out bullshit after bullshit after bullshit...

either way, i actually sort of enjoyed this movie... to a certain degree. i agree with some of what you said. but my point is that this movie is pretty insignifigant and minor in the scheme of things, espcially with all the other shit coming out recently. it's not particularly wonderful and its no pixar, it's just... there. and that didnt bother me too much.

i will say that the most recent 'entourage' episode fucked up the mocumentary style pretty hard, much more so than 'surf's up'.. aside from billy walsh being hilarious, they just used the most typical mocumentary moments to get laughs (i.e. one character saying one thing, CUT TO: turtle contradicting what that first character just said... har har har, isn't that so witty and clever...)

matt35mm

Thursday?

Quote from: clerkguy23 on June 22, 2007, 10:59:58 AM
that's a little extreme, i think. a sad day for comedy is when carlos mencia gets his own show and the majority of america loves it. a sad day for comedy is when dane cook comes out with yet another movie that sports him as the main comedic character, ignoring the fact that he's a fucking monkey-whore who keeps putting out bullshit after bullshit after bullshit... 

You're talking about the same day, practically!

Stefen

That's like half a G to take all those brats to the movies. Did an inner city after school program pay for them? Why waste $500 on that? That money could have been put to better use.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

do you think I would ever take anyone to a movie that costed ANYTHING?
lucid, laugh at stefen for me.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

clerkguy23

Quote from: matt35mm on June 22, 2007, 11:19:44 AM

Thursday?

Quote from: clerkguy23 on June 22, 2007, 10:59:58 AM

You're talking about the same day, practically!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452625/releaseinfo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468999/releaseinfo

bonanzataz

such a shame that they had to waste a kinda clever poster on this movie.

actually, i take it back. this poster would probably be obnoxious attached to any film.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty