Brüno

Started by MacGuffin, May 23, 2007, 11:57:48 AM

modage

I can't believe no one is reviewing this. 

Sacha Baron Cohen is a fearless comedy genius but Brüno has the unenviable task of following-up Borat, one of the funniest and most original comedies I have ever seen. Burdened by impossible expectations, Brüno is intermittently hilarious but disappointing.  More like a sequel (because the structure of the two films is identical), this film pushes more buttons and ups the ante on almost every outrageous situation, but still can't live up to Borat. While Borat felt freewheeling and unpredictable, with Brüno the situations are familiar (if on steroids).

While Borat was a sweet naive character, Brüno is more aggressive making most of his encounters with 'real people' shorter though far more suspenseful.  (I truly feared for Baron Cohen's safety at several points in this film.)  I remember walking out of Borat saying, "well, he'll never be able to get away with that again" and it was true.  Though he was still able to expose peoples prejudices by disguising himself as a new character, he'll never be able to sneak up on the audience the same way again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

That feels pretty spot-on, Mod.  I really liked it, but it definitely can't live up to what Borat did.

Ghostboy

I agree with everything Mod said, except that I didn't actually like it all that much.

In spite of his obonxiousness, I actually cared about Borat as a character. Bruno...not so much.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

UPI unveils tamer version of 'Bruno'
Distributor sends out two versions of film in U.K.
Source: Variety

Is there such a thing as "Bruno Lite"?

In an unusual move, Universal Pictures Intl. plans to simultaneously release a watered-down version of Sacha Baron Cohen's "Bruno" in the U.K. and Ireland that would allow more teenagers to see the comedy.

Pic just wrapped its opening weekend in the territory, but U resubmitted the film yesterday to the British Board of Film Classification after snipping a minute and a half of footage that contained "strong sex and strong sexual references." It plans to release the toned-down version on July 24.

The three scenes now cut from the film were the reason the BBFC slapped "Bruno" with the uber-restrictive "18" rating -- meaning adults only -- in the first place. Filmmakers had objected to cutting the footage but eventually agreed.

U is looking for a less-restrictive "15" rating, which lets anyone above the age of 15 in the auditorium.

The original uncensored version will continue to play in the U.K. as well. Distrib execs said they could not remember an instance when two versions of the same film were playing at the same time.

"Due to the overwhelming demand by fans who are desperate to see the film, we're really pleased to be able to offer a '15' certificate version," said Universal Pictures Intl. prexy David Kosse. "Both of these versions will allow many more of Bruno's fans in the U.K. to enjoy the film."

The BBFC cited three scenes that earned "Bruno" the restrictive 18 rating. One was described as a montage of exaggerated sexual activity. The second involved the character comically miming various sexual acts, and the third features a swingers party.

"Bruno" was produced and financed by Media Rights Capital and acquired by Universal for $42.5 million.

While "Bruno" grossed roughly $55 million in its worldwide debut, there were worrisome signs: Throughout the weekend, exhibs in the U.K. reported that they had to turn away teenagers, who had helped make Cohen's "Borat" into a hit. Saturday business for the pic did not rise significantly, as might have been expected.

Outside of the U.S., the U.K. was the top-grossing territory for "Borat," racking up north of $46 million.

Baron Cohen's followup pic, "Bruno," grossed $8.1 million from 457 locations and scored the biggest Friday ever for an 18-rated film in the U.K., as well as the best opening weekend ever for an 18-rated comedy.

In the U.S., the MPAA and NATO ratings board doesn't allow differently rated versions of the same film to play simultaneously in theaters -- a rule designed to prevent confusion in the marketplace.

"Bruno" received an R-rating from the MPAA ratings board, vs. the more restrictive NC-17 rating, which is akin the "18" rating in the U.K.

"Bruno" opened to $30.6 million at the domestic box office, but it was strongest on Friday and fell a hefty 39% on Saturday, indicating poor word-of-mouth.

Like the U.K., Australia and Germany were previously strongholds for "Borat." "Bruno" also did good business in Australia, coming in No. 1. But it trailed far behind 20th Century Fox's "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" in Germany.

Released by Fox in November 2006, "Borat," grossed $128.5 million domestically and $133.1 million internationally.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Convael

I was kind of disappointed by this... I wish there was some way to just turn the TV show into a movie since the show seems to be totally unscripted.  Certain things in this didn't work just because they felt scripted and not spontaneous at all so I was kind of just waiting for them to be over.  I also thought that Cohen missed out on a few good opportunities... He could have showed the

SPOILER
guy who Bruno said had dicksucking lips actually performing some kind of "remove the gay" type thing kinda similar to the religious experience Borat had in some crazy ass church in the South.  As it was the scene wasn't that funny and didn't really go anywhere.
SPOILER

I was amazed that there were two different groups of people who brought small children into the theater and eventually walked out, but not even at the worst part!  One of the groups who had three kids, none of whom could have been more than 10 decided to stay until

SPOILER
Bruno performs the ghost-BJ
SPOILER

meanwhile tons of really inappropriate shit had happened.  I mean, my mom took me to go see Scary Movie when I was 9 or 10 but it wasn't really anything compared to this.

Jeremy Blackman

I actually loved the movie. I knew what I was getting, and I got it. Borat was more meaningful, ambitious, and had a wider scope. This film only deals with two issues... homophobia and celebrity. I think it grapples with both things fairly well, but it certainly won't please people expecting a new Borat. The point that's missing from this conversation so far is that Borat is simply a better character than Bruno. I think that's where some of the disappointment is. Borat the character is complex, even mysterious. Bruno is completely transparent.

But on the issue-grappling front, I think Bruno is more effective than Borat. I'm serious. Borat as a film is far more morally suspect than Bruno. The exploitation that happens in Borat cannot always be defended. I love moral ambiguity in films (which is probably why I love LVT and Solondz), so I love Borat, but again, I think Bruno is a more purely noble effort. For example, Bruno's representation of gay men doesn't even approach Borat's attacks on Eastern Europeans.

I think anyone who saw the film and feels like they're missing something should think of it as an episodic collage. Just remember your favorite parts! Here are mine:

Mild spoilers!

1. The wrestling match. Epic and even iconic. Perfectly executed with powerful results.
2. Mexican chairs. Elegantly simple and totally potent.
3. Talk show / baby models. This is all the film needs to say about celebrity.
4. Focus group. Flawless use of the extremes.

Kal

MacGuffin

Ukraine bans 'Bruno'
Culture Ministry calls pic immoral
Source: Variety

Sacha Baron Cohen's hit mockumentary "Bruno," about an outrageous gay Austrian fashion journalist, has been banned in Ukraine because it is "immoral."

The country's Ministry of Culture and Tourism described shots of sexual organs, homosexual intercourse and bad language as obscene and improper.

The ban -- in a former Soviet country that has struggled to create European-oriented institutions following its pro-democracy Orange Revolution five years ago -- is likely linked to fears that the film could offend deeply religious sections of the population.

The Universal Pictures Intl. film was due to be released next week via local distrib Sinergia, which announced the censors' decision on Tuesday.

"Bruno," which opened last week in many Western markets and topped the U.S. box office, has made $58.4 million worldwide.

Earlier this week U announced that it would release a watered-down version of the pic, minus a minute and a half of footage that contained strong sexual references, in the U.K. to run at the same time as the more adult version. This effort will open up "Bruno" -- which has an "18" rating, restricting it to adults only -- to a younger audience.

Local reps for Universal did not respond to requests for comments on the Ukrainian decision.

The ban comes two years after British comedian Baron Cohen's "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," ridiculing the former Soviet republic and the U.S., was nixed in Kazakhstan and Russia.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Figures, I've never met a Ukrainian who had a sense of humor
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

I loved it, quite funny. But like others said I never felt a real emotional connection. Not that I was looking for one. Some scenes in this film made me shutter with uncomfortableness. 

My Collection

Alexandro

Quote from: SiliasRuby on July 19, 2009, 07:34:25 PM
I loved it, quite funny. But like others said I never felt a real emotional connection. Not that I was looking for one. Some scenes in this film made me shutter with uncomfortableness. 

I haven't seen it. And now that it "tanked" know knows when and if they're gonna show this in mexican theatres.

I do think some films don't look for emotional connections. Certainly Borat didn't. So it's not really a problem if that doesn't happen.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Alexandro on July 20, 2009, 09:59:03 AM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on July 19, 2009, 07:34:25 PM

I haven't seen it. And now that it "tanked" know knows when and if they're gonna show this in mexican theatres.

I do think some films don't look for emotional connections. Certainly Borat didn't. So it's not really a problem if that doesn't happen.
It really doesn't matter.

My Collection

Gold Trumpet

I thought this was amazing and the perfect follow up to Borat. I still think Borat is funnier and more likable, but that isn't the point. Bruno is truly inspired satire and probably one of the best films of the year.

When Borat was released, I wrote a review for a website and complained that the character of Borat was too likable. I understood the film was intentional satire about misguided Americans, but the film gave Borat such an appeal and focused a lot of scenes on just his personal hilarities that it seemed like the line was being blurred about really was funny about the movie: the people who can't understand Borat for who he is or Borat's personal funniness. I argued that the majority of the laughter came from Borat's racist antics. I still believe that's true.

The genius of Bruno is that the character himself is a lot less offensive than Borat ever was, but the film itself is very offensive and very hard to watch at a lot of times. The film is nowhere near as funny as Borat is, but the point is that Borat has set up expectations in people's minds about what to expect with a Sasha Baren Cohen film. We expect outrageousness and the mocking of ridiculous people. It's just that because of Borat, we expect the ridicule to take place at a comfortable but disgusting level. We want the viewing to be pleasant even though Borat is one of the worst people ever. If Cohen just continued on this path and aimed to make disgusting people friendly to most viewers, I would have a problem because that is exploitation.

What I love about Bruno is that he takes aim at everyone's personal comfort level. It isn't just southern rednecks who are made to feel stupid. It seems like everyone should feel disgust with Bruno because of how extreme he is. I can't understand how anyone can watch this and feel natural with everything. The hilarity is that his extremes are just personal habits. They aren't deep racial prejudices that overshadow a lot of the world's conflicts. We like Borat, but his character represented everything that should be considered abysmal. Bruno represents things that should just be left to private discourse. Definitely some things in the film would get Bruno arrested, like his handling of a black child, but still, he is nowhere near Borat for ugliness.

It also isn't a gay issue. As an article in Slate said shortly after the film was released, Bruno is beyond gay. He does not measure up to an idea of normal at all for any sexual orientation. That means a film about a character similar to Bruno could be made and the person could be straight. As Parker Tyler once argued, our sexualities don't end with our preferences, but begin with them. Bruno is an alien like figure who represents an extreme in sexual explicitness.

Why do I think all of this is genius? On a level, I think Bruno reveals our biases about what we can find funny. It's like the idea of "Springtime for Hitler". Even if it sounds like it should be a total failure, it can be made appealing is all the right buttons are pressed. Or in the case of Bruno, we can be offended or annoyed if all the wrong buttons are pressed. We want to respect these films as satire, but does Borat really reveal that much we didn't know about the south? It plays on popular concepts of the south and has some good revealing moments, but Bruno feels like true satire. There are levels to the mockery and it comes back to the audience. The film is continuously revealing. The fact it isn't as funny should be meaningless. If anything, it could mean it has a better commitment to its subject.

Comedy should not always be about laughs. The best comedies I've ever seen were more interested in other things and used comedy as a structure for critical investigation into something. That's how comedy began in Ancient Greek literature. It just developed to become the lighter of the story forms, but main purpose should be criticism and undermining of some sort. Bruno feels like a post modern work. It reminds me of the French film, Going Places, a comedy about aimless thugs who rape and pillage everyone and everything they run into. The true balls of the film is that it tried to argue the fundamental goodness of raping a young and naive girl because she was oppressed at home. Agree or disagree, but it was a ballsy idea and had a lot of brilliant markings because of its societal overtones. Bruno occupies a similar hemisphere because of its boldness to engage very disturbing subject matter.

Also, like JB said, there are moments of raunchy brilliance. I still laugh to myself about the idea of Bruno getting it on with his man in a cage match in front of a lot of rednecks. It was a perfect culmination to everything in the story. There are ingenious moments through out the film.

Stefen

This was stupid. Lowest common denominator type of entertainment. Thumbs way the fuck down.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.