Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Started by modage, August 10, 2006, 10:05:56 AM

Satcho9

Test Screening of Walk Hard tomorrow (tuesday) @ the Arclight in Hollywood at 7 pm.
call 310-726-3538 to RSVP

some guy was handing out little slips for the screening. Don't know if you need them to get in, when I called to RSVP they just asked for my guest's and my name and age...nothing about a confirmation code to write down or anything...

if you have nothing to do....

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

ok, THAT made me laugh. this can't come soon enough.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

Columbia puts 'Dewey' on tour duty
John C. Reilly to perform in character across U.S.
Source: Variety

Judd Apatow-produced films usually don't need much marketing help.

But in the case of Apatow's "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story," Columbia Pictures is launching a novel tie-in for the unconventional comedy. Star John C. Reilly will tour the country in character as Dewey Cox, the fictional rock 'n' roll icon whose music influenced a nation. Reilly will perform live as Cox with his band, the Hard Walkers, for the "Cox Across America Tour."

The tour kicks off Wednesday at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and will wend through Chicago; Austin, Texas; Nashville; San Francisco; Los Angeles; and New York's Knitting Factory.

Each show will be preceded by a special screening of "Walk Hard." Tour serves Sony by promoting the film, which opens Dec. 21, as well as Columbia Records' soundtrack. The album includes 30 original songs and hits stores today.

Col is looking to repeat the successful marketing stunt it carried out last year with another Reilly starrer, "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby." For that film, Will Ferrell made the rounds on the NASCAR circuit as the eponymous Ricky Bobby. That comedy grossed more than $148 million domestically for the studio.

"He's unleashing his inner rock star," said Valerie Van Galder, president of domestic marketing for Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group, who credits Reilly and Apatow as the brains behind the ploy. "But this is a little different than 'Talladega Nights,' because it actually requires him to perform live. It works, though, because in addition to being a prodigiously talented actor, John is also a fabulous singer."

The Jake Kasdan-helmed film also stars Jenna Fischer, Tim Meadows and Kristen Wiig. Apatow is a co-scripter and producer.

Reilly was nominated for a supporting actor Oscar for the musical "Chicago," which included a solo number for him.

While unusual, the concert promo is not unprecedented. In 2004, Kevin Spacey launched an 11-city tour to promote the Bobby Darin biopic "Beyond the Sea." Spacey performed in character at venues including L.A.'s Wiltern Theater.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

John C. Reilly and Jake Kasdan on NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13&prgDate=3-Dec-07

I remember liking the trailer, but this eventually morphed into some boner comedy in mind, and I've been writing it off. But after hearing this interview, I cannot wait to see this movie. Kasdan has definitely put some thought into it, and they played three songs. The Bob Dylan song had me cracking up! Listen at your own risk, they do discuss some jokes that have now convinced me to see it, though I wish I didn't know about them.
WWPTAD?

john

Saw this tonight.

Very good. Not the most impressive Apatow related comedy this year, but certainly the most ambitious.

All the jokes were very easy, some were almost lazy... but that didn't stop it from being continually enjoyable and funny. There are even plenty of jokes not spoiled by the many, many long trailers that are already out there.

The cameos, even those spoiled in the trailers, were good clever without being distracting.

The songs worked. Enough that I just bought the soundtrack.

Actually, everything I'm saying sounds more glowing than my response to the film. I don't really have much to fault, though.

Just... very... pleasant.

Although, I'm curious what audience is gonna see it. We'll see.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

©brad

HOLLYWOOD - Knocked Up director Judd Apatow is on a mission to put penises in every movie he makes--and end America's fear of male members.

The filmmaker placed a penis behind actor John C. Reilly's head in an orgy scene in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and watched as audience members stormed out of a test screening in disgust.

Undeterred, Apatow kept the penis footage in the film--and then made a "c**kumentary" about shooting the scene, which will appear on the DVD.

He says, "The original shot was way longer, where the penis is in close-up, and then one night we showed it to a test audience and 22 people walked out. I think we went too far with too much penis.

"We went with different angles to make sure there weren't too much testicles being shown... America fears the penis and that's something I'm going to help them get over.

"I'm gonna get a penis in every movie I do from now on. When this writers strike ends, that is my dream. It really makes me laugh in this day and age, with how psychotic our world is, that anyone is troubled by seeing any part of the human body; that is amusing to me."

72teeth

This was great! My favorite apatow yet, which is saying something...

spoiler...

The rehab scene was hilarious... i never realised how often movies handled "coming down" like that...
"UUUghhhh... im so c-c-cold..... AAhhhh... im so HOT!!!...."   <--gold.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

The Perineum Falcon

Very few laughs.

The majority was boring, though others in the audience seemed to enjoy it more than I and my friend did.

I enjoyed some of the songs and the references to different musicians, but it was just a waste for me, overall.

I might say more at a later date. Don't really care to talk about this too much right now.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Jeremy Blackman

When I heard the Fresh Air interview, which focused on the music (which is just fabulous), I knew I had to see this. I was not disappointed. Within fifteen minutes, I think I had twice cried laughing. It settles down a bit, but the parody genius is carried to the end.

Well, almost. Some jokes are explained too much, like the jew thing, the mixed race baby thing, the beatles thing. And the last five minutes or so was maddening. It's as if they switched off the subtlety filter and dumped all their scrapped ideas and cut footage into that last song. It reminded me of the gag reel that runs through the credits of a cheap mid-90s comedy. Great movies with horrible endings annoy me. But I still like this one very much.

EDIT: Just saw the trailer. It's so misleading... they picked out all the lowbrow stuff. It also spoils half of the best jokes. What a crap trailer.

cine

more people should be seeing this. the movie doesn't take itself seriously in any way and so just about every line is hilarious.

what a fun movie.

Gold Trumpet

Lame movie. I expected a lot out of this and came away with very few laughs. It reminded me too much of the recent string of bad Will Ferrel movies. The only differences is that the references were good ones that people who knew about music could get, but they were so obvious and blah it didn't matter anyways. The Beatles scene was really funny (Paul Rudd can still do no wrong) and so was the midget rally.

I love John C. Reilly, but his character was made to be a poor man's Will Ferrel only. Considering Ferrel's style of movie has become such a bad trend that has influenced other bad movies, replicating it doesn't seem like a good idea at all. Not even a better subject can really do much to solve the problems. All the jokes and nods to its own superficiality was too forced.

Jeremy Blackman

GT, you seem quite stuck on the Will Ferrel thing, and it really doesn't apply. The humor is not about Dewey Cox's outrageousness or goofiness. It's about parody. How is this film at all related to Will Ferrel?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 28, 2007, 02:01:52 AM
GT, you seem quite stuck on the Will Ferrel thing, and it really doesn't apply. The humor is not about Dewey Cox's outrageousness or goofiness. It's about parody. How is this film at all related to Will Ferrel?

You don't think Will Ferrel's movies have some semblance of parody? Just because they aren't takes on well known figures doesn't mean they are. His movies mock all different things. This movie is as overblown as a Ferrel movie is.

cine

GT did you stay after the credits were over?