Knocked Up

Started by modage, February 27, 2006, 07:30:44 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: polkablues on June 03, 2007, 04:24:41 PM
And I will fight hacksparrow about Kristin Wiig.

Quote from: squints on June 03, 2007, 05:58:30 PM
oh yeah! fuck sparrow that shit was hilarious

The bit was funny (though when you put it up against just about anything else in the movie, it doesn't compete) but she just annoys me.  I'm not going to say I didn't laugh but it's safe to say that I feel the same way about her that Seth Rogen's character feels about Matthew Fox.

JG

wow, i'm so impressed.  it definitely requires a few more viewings, but this might be one of my favorite comedies.  not necessarily the funniest, but it hits on all cylinders.  what seems unique about knocked up is that most of the funny things come from the characters saying witty (or just ridiculous) things.  the humor is not situational at all, and i can't really think of any other movie like it in that respect. 

i would do a list of my favorite parts, but i can't really think of anything right now.  i loved the beard gag, it was a huge improvement on the "know how i know you're gay" bit.  personal favorite:  martin scorsese on coke (or something like that). 

Quote from: shnorff on June 02, 2007, 02:13:10 AM
the uncool: length (although totally enjoyable from start to finish some scenes just needed to be cut), lack of anything cinematic and (for lack of better words) shots which aren't nice- looking but more lazy and uninteresting.

Quote from: modage on June 03, 2007, 06:40:34 PM
i will fight you.

pumba

Those extended scenes are fucking hilarious.

And JG, where do yo want to throw down?

squints

I'm so happy i took RK's advice and didn't watch a trailer or anything for this cause i hate it when a comedy trailer ruins all the best jokes.
with that in mind....
Mild spoils:

Quote from: JG on June 03, 2007, 10:39:17 PM
what seems unique about knocked up is that most of the funny things come from the characters saying witty (or just ridiculous) things.  the humor is not situational at all, and i can't really think of any other movie like it in that respect. 

My favorite joke in the movie is Seth Rogen actually repeating a joke someone told earlier. Some guy at the fantasy draft party says "Don't let the door hit your pussy on the way out" and its even funnier when Seth says "Did you hear that guy say 'Don't let the door hit your pussy on the way out?'. That's was great!" or something...

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

JG

Quote from: shnorff on June 03, 2007, 10:52:13 PM
And JG, where do yo want to throw down?

meet me behind the small screen. 

Ravi

Quote from: squints on June 03, 2007, 05:17:35 PM
Quote from: Ravi on June 03, 2007, 03:20:57 PM
And I will fight hacksparrow about Kristin Wiig.  Sure, it was a one-joke character, but it's a joke she's really fucking good at.

I saw this a month or so ago. Remind me again who this character is and where she showed up?

Hey, I didn't say that, Polkablues did.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

clerkguy23

QuoteMy favorite joke in the movie is Seth Rogen actually repeating a joke someone told earlier. Some guy at the fantasy draft party says "Don't let the door hit your pussy on the way out" and its even funnier when Seth says "Did you hear that guy say 'Don't let the door hit your pussy on the way out?'. That's was great!" or something...

That guy was Paul Feig, the creator of Freaks and Geeks. He's also in Heavy Weights for anyone who's keeping count...

pete

I thought he said "vagina".
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kal

definitely the best movie of the year so far. i wasnt bored for one second.

i loved all the office cameos, and seacrest, and all the movie talk... i have to see it again but it was really really good.

i think it was way better than 40 Year old Virgin. I think that one is a very funny concept itself to start and more far fetched (maybe not for some of you guys). But this one is something so normal that can happen to anyone anytime and yet it was incredibly original and funny.

cine

Quote from: shnorff on June 04, 2007, 06:51:54 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2007/06/04/eckler-sues.html?ref=rss#skip300x250

...She will not win.

fuck no she won't. what an idiot. shes concerned that the stories are so similar.. right down to the jewish father! right, did she bother to research EVERYONE involved with the production? and in terms of both women being reporters.. yea, a link between jews and running the media.. its a rarity, i know.

the reviews on here are spot on; this is one of the best movies of the year, definitely the funniest. as mod and others are saying- way better than 40YOV. the laughs are more organic, honest and just greater overall. i'll end up seeing this again.. with GRINDHOUSE.

samsong

i love leslie mann.
i also like The 40 Year Old Virgin more than Knocked Up, maybe because the latter has to do with someone who has sex and friends, both of which are lacking in my (sister's friend's) life.

funny as it was, it felt more like a collection of skits this unofficial troupe whose only common ground is the road to middle agedness (whatever that means).  all the comedy has apatow's stamp on it but it also seems as though he attempted to appeal to every palette imaginable, in the spirit of "there's something in it for everyone!"  it's completely and utterly about the jokes, and i feel like the humor is its own entity and that the warmer, sweeter stuff is filler.  everything's good but there's little harmony among its well-executed elements to speak of.