The Host

Started by modage, January 17, 2007, 05:35:02 PM

Raikus

SPOILERS:

The Grandfather died. The Sister died. The Brother died. The Daughter died. The whole family died except for the slacker, who redeemed himself eventually at the loss of his entire family. For the theme of redemption to work you have to have characters that see the before and after of the journey. Well they're all dead. That's why this didn't work for me. I didn't find it appealing. Therefore, yes, there must be something culturally there that I'm not getting.

Since you, Pete, are the bridge between us ignorant Americans and insightful Asians why don't you please explain it for me. Remember, no big words or metaphors that don't revolve around fast food, otherwise it will be too confusing for me.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pete

wow, there must be something really Asian about Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) then.  or maybe T3: rise of the machines.
(oops, SPOILERS!)
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

davidchili

Quote from: Raikus on August 31, 2007, 03:22:41 PM
SPOILERS:
For the theme of redemption to work you have to have characters that see the before and after of the journey. Well they're all dead. That's why this didn't work for me.

I really don't think redemption was that much of the THEME of this movie, maybe that's why I enjoyed this movie so much.
good dreamer, bad sleeper.

pete

again, spoilers.

I just realized that the slacker's brother and sister totally didn't die in the movie.  so what the fuck are you talking about, raikus?
- Buster Keaton

Raikus

How did they not die? They inhale about 10 minutes of Agent Yellow while fighting the monster. It shows them coughing up blood a few times. All the protesters that are in the same vicinity are dead within a minute or so. After the monster dies it shows only the Slacker and Homeless boy starting over a new life. Where in the movie does it say they're alive still?

And if you are seriously comparing T3 and Texas Chainsaw Massacre to The Host as the same theme then you are a moron. The other movies deal with people trying to escape death and being pursued by the antagonist. In the Host they actively seek it out to rescue someone and fail. At the end of TCM the woman is alive. It's not about redemption, it's about survival. They're not even close to being related.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pete

when did they show any of them dying?  you totally made that up.  maybe the unconscious protestor died, but even that was very ambiguous. 
But even if they're all dead, you still have a long way to go to proving that it was all about the father's redemption did they kill every character in the entire movie.  you confused yourself with these themes that you made up while watching the movie, and then blame the Asians for your confusion.  Since when did your precious "redemption" become exclusively and exotically Asian, I will never know.  But again, it was cute that you handed out these themes to each of the movies, and anyone who could compare one apocalypic big budget sci-fi to another one must be a moron.  Lemme just question you further since the more I thought about it, the less anythign you'd ever typed as a human being made any sense.  How was this redemption on the father's part anyways?  Was being a slacker such a sin that he needed to redeem it?  What do you have against slackers anyways?  The filmmakers and the audience seemed to have loved him.  You also gave the film a lot of crap for "failing" to save the little girl, while ignoring the poignancy behind saving her saving the little boy.  You also seemed to be judging everything by "success" and "failure", which was totally not what life is about, dude.
how many others on this board thought everyone died at the end?
- Buster Keaton

davidchili

Quote from: pete on September 02, 2007, 07:43:17 PM
I think they MIGHT have died but still I agree with Pete on the rest
good dreamer, bad sleeper.

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on September 02, 2007, 07:43:17 PM

i did. but i haven't seen the movie.
under the paving stones.