Watchmen

Started by MacGuffin, July 23, 2004, 03:00:02 PM

MacGuffin

One Year to Midnight
Here we are, officially one year and counting until the release of Watchmen on 03.06.09. Being a fan that follows production blogs, I know that the time a film is in post can often seem like an eternity with interesting bits of information few and far between. So to help pass the time, here is your first look at some of the Watchmen characters.

-Zack

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Matthew Goode looks like a completely different person in each movie I've seen him in.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Watchmen's "Black Freighter" DVD Update
Source: Duff Drinker

Originally thought to be coming as part of the Watchmen DVD, the New York Times now reports that the Zack Snyder-directed animated side story "Tales of the Black Freighter" will get released on DVD five days after the Watchmen movie hits theaters on May 6, 2009 (we're guessing on March 10, 2009 - which is actually four days after the release, depending how you look at it).

The "Black Freighter" DVD will include a documentary-style film called "Under the Hood" that delves into the characters' backstories. The Watchmen movie is expected to hit DVD itself four months later, followed by an "ultimate" edition in which the two are edited together into one megamovie.

In addition, the studio plans a dozen 22- to 26-minute Webisodes to help make the complex story easier for the uninitiated to digest. Called "The Watchmen Motion Comic," it will be a panel-by-panel slide show of the graphic novel narrated by an actor. Those together might get a DVD release as well in the future.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

hedwig

that's insulting.

Sleepless

Why? Like I have the time to actually read the word that go with the pictures myself!

Can I coin the phrase "to do a Lucas"?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

cinemanarchist

I'm down with the whole idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly sure Snyder is still going to fuck it all up big time but at least this way we get to see the entire Black Freighter story since they obviously would have made him cut it way back if it were to stay in the theatrical cut. I'm fine as long as they let you know what they are up to now instead of after you've bought the first shitty disc...but he will still fuck this up...and that my friend is "doing a Lucas." There you go Sleepless...it's officially coined.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

hedwig

i still think it's insulting.

so first we get the truncated film. five days later, we get the black freighter. four months later, we get the truncated film on dvd. and then EVEN LATER we finally get the definitive film on dvd. and each of those will probably be released in two editions, single and double-disc, the latter being ridiculously overpriced. it's brilliant and it's evil. what, are they gonna give the "ultimate megamovie" its own theatrical release too? it'll end up as a Kill Bill situation. nobody will care anymore.

also, i don't get the motion comic thing. i knew they were gonna have to dumb it down but JESUS CHRIST. this sort of mentality does not bode well for the film. i'm expecting a lot of boring expository dialogue. sigh.

Quote from: Hedwig on November 27, 2007, 10:00:40 PM
i try to be hopeful but i can't really say i'm "looking forward" to seeing this. it's more like i just want to get it over with.

matt35mm

I think it's insulting that they told us how it's going to happen.  The least they could do is keep it a secret so that no one realizes that they have to buy three things.

It's like saying, "We going to screw you, and here's how we're going to screw you.  And now that you know, we still think you're gonna give us the money."

cinemanarchist

If this were happening with Nolan and Batman Begins would anyone here feel any differently?
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Sleepless

I think it's good they've said up front. End of the day it's not the film-makers making these decisions is it? It's the execs. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in the theaters, but them I'm gonna hold off and get the ultimate platinum extended unrated smiley-face edition DVDs when they come. I appreciate knowing that's gonna be coming in advance.

The reason no-one cares about KB:TWBA anymore is QT built it up so much, but then got distracted by a foot fetish website, and probably just can't be bothered anymore.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Chest Rockwell

In the end,
Quote from: cinemanarchist on May 28, 2008, 10:44:54 PM
Snyder is still going to fuck it all up big time
is all that really matters.

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer here.

edit: RELINK

FINAL LINK: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

I don't want to admit it. But that looks good.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche