Live Free or Die Hard

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2006, 11:43:36 AM

I Love a Magician

i would never say this was a good movie but i had a fuckin blast watching it. sometimes you just gotta let the dumb shit wash over you. and it's a good opportunity to bust out some rad internet jokes.

Kal

I liked this!

This is what summer blockbusters are. It was full with cool stunts, some of them ridiculous but not more than other movies. It was funny. It was entertaining. It was simple... went right into the story and it was straightforward.

In a summer full of shit, this was actually a movie I enjoyed and I was not bored or falling asleep in the theatre (Transformers, Pirates, Spidey).

this was shit, and it's sad because the fire sale thing sounded like a terrific setup for an action movie. instead it's uncle bruce all the time. zzzZZZzzz it's as if a genie gave me a very useful superpower and i wasted it with irreverent stuff. blockbusters, can't live with them, can't kill 'em.
context, context, context.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: kal on July 07, 2007, 08:39:07 PM
I liked this!

This is what summer blockbusters are. It was full with cool stunts, some of them ridiculous but not more than other movies. It was funny. It was entertaining. It was simple... went right into the story and it was straightforward.

In a summer full of shit, this was actually a movie I enjoyed and I was not bored or falling asleep in the theatre (Transformers, Pirates, Spidey).

I felt exactly the same way. Although I was hoping for a bigger bang at the end and Tim O. wasnt as menacing as I'd liked him to be and like mac said the part in the elevator was very reminecent of the jurassic park scene.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

20th Century Fox has announced the DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Live Free and Die Hard on 11/20. There will be THREE versions on DVD, including single-disc PG-13 and Unrated editions (SRP $29.98 each), as well as an Unrated Two-Disc Edition (SRP $34.98). Strangely, it seems that the Blu-ray Disc version will contain only the PG-13 version (SRP $39.98) - a revelation that has many Blu-ray fans up in arms (it's basic common sense that anyone who's going to pay extra for the Blu-ray wants the unrated cut too). The single-disc DVDs will contain Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary by Bruce Willis, director Len Wiseman and editor Nicolas De Toth, the Guyz Nite' Die Hard music video and a behind-the-scenes featurette on the video. The two-disc set will add the 10-part Analog Hero in a Digital World: Making of Live Free or Die Hard documentary, the Yippee-Ki-Yay Mother F*****! featurette, the Fox Movie Channel Presents Fox Legacy video and the film's theatrical trailer. The Blu-ray version will feature AVC encoded 1080p video, DTS HD Lossless 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, the Black Hat Intercept! BD-Java game, D-Box compatibility, several high-def trailers and all the standard-definition DVD extras (save again for the uncut version of the film - we'll confirm that with the studio).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: I Love a Magician on July 04, 2007, 01:58:10 AM
sometimes you just gotta let the dumb shit wash over you.

Indeed.  This is definitely the worst of the series but it's not terrible on its own.  However, I think renting it from netflix and watching it on my new TV and the 5.1 rattling the floor versus paying $11 to see it in a theatre might have softened me up to it.  I really should have hated this movie but I can't quite bring myself to.  It's one of the more illogical movies I've seen in recent memory (seriously, why send out a team to upload a program to arm the C4 you installed in a computer to kill a hacker?  Just kill him!), the story is lazy, Olyphant was a shitty villain, and they (meaning the writers, director, and Willis) only half-tried with McClane's character.  I liked that they tried to show the weight of his past on him but other than knowing that it's John McClane, you wouldn't know it was John McClane.  Everything we love about him is gone except his sense of elation when he kills bad guys. 

But there are a few good action sequences in there and it is entertaining throughout; that's not a big recommendation but the best I can say for it is that, if Transformers was as passable as this, I wouldn't have protested.  It's just not a Die Hard movie.  It would be another one of those Bruce Willis movies that makes you wish he'd make another Die Hard if it wasn't for the fact that it is another Die Hard. 

modage

have you guys seen the commercials for this that have that rockin' Die Hard song in them?  the guy who sings that used to work with me and left to pursue his band Guyz Nite when they got this Die Hard deal.  have i already told you this?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on November 21, 2007, 10:31:23 AMhave you guys seen the commercials for this that have that rockin' Die Hard song in them?  the guy who sings that used to work with me and left to pursue his band Guyz Nite when they got this Die Hard deal.  have i already told you this?

The DVD comes with their video and a 5 minute interview. I lasted 30 seconds; around the time they started singing about nachos. It's like the Jackass guys formed a band.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah they're a pretty ridiculous 80's jokerock band formed by a former frat dude.  i went to see them once though and it was funny as shit.  i can't believe how much they got paid by fox for that song.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on November 21, 2007, 09:48:01 AM
It's just not a Die Hard movie. 

This is exactly what kept me from really enjoying this.  I think I probably would have hated it more in the theater... this is one case of an "unrated" version actually being different... even though I didn't see the rated version, it was probably just what they had before they were forced to cut it down to get the PG-13.

I had fun in parts, but would have liked it a lot more if it hadn't been a Die Hard movie.