Déjà Vu

Started by MacGuffin, July 06, 2006, 03:17:49 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: November 22nd, 2006 (wide)

Starring: Denzel Washington, Jim Caviezel, Paula Patton, Adam Goldberg, Val Kilmer

Directed by: Tony Scott 

Premise: It is déjà vu that unexpectedly guides ATF agent Doug Carlin through an investigation into a shattering crime. Called in to recover evidence after a bomb sets off a cataclysmic explosion on a New Orleans Ferry, Carlin is about to discover that what most people believe "is only in their heads" is actually something far more powerful--and will lead him on a mind-bending race to save hundreds of innocent people.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

I thought that was Matthew Perry at first. :doh:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

I think I could be convinced to see this movie...
My house, my rules, my coffee

last days of gerry the elephant

Ever since I've heard about this T.Scott film last year or so I've been excited to see it. I'm expecting it holds up to Man on Fire. And of course, expected H.G. Williams to score it.

modage

the narration in this trailer is horrible, but its tony scott so i'm going anyway.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

killafilm

Quote from: modage on July 09, 2006, 10:16:01 AM
the narration in this trailer is horrible, but its tony scott so i'm going anyway.

So true.  The trailer is cut in a really cool way then you have this horrible movie voice killing it.  I do think it looks really good though, so hopefully it'll be better than domino.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 06, 2006, 03:17:49 PM
a mind-bending race to save hundreds of innocent people.

That's it?  Hundreds of innocent people?

Quote from: modage on July 09, 2006, 10:16:01 AM
but its tony scott so i'm going anyway.

JG

"When later this year, Deja Vu hits theaters and is an incomprehensible mess, don't even try to say that Bill and I are 'inconsistant' writers or that we can't structure a movie or that our dialogue is laughable. We didn't make those choices. There are errors now in the movie, inconsistancies and stupidities and missed opportunities that are obvious and have easy solutions, but we're not allowed to implement them..."

--Terry Rossio, writer of Deja Vu and Pirates of the Caribbean

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc07/index.cgi?read=84081

back when  i was learning the rules of screenwriting, i use to frequent that site, where the writers of this movie post. 

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

man thats not any better.  its like they blew all their money on editing and crazy film stock and had like $1 leftover for someone to do the narration for the trailer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: modage on September 26, 2006, 01:38:27 PM
man thats not any better.  its like they blew all their money on editing and crazy film stock and had like $1 leftover for someone to do the narration for the trailer.

I have 2 words for you... come on. Just give in.

Anyway, Tony seems like he's finally mastered his style now, and I love the simplicity he went back to (as the camera zooms in onto the boat with the white rectangle, nice experimental touch) and the colors are just "bloody gorgeous". I havn't been collecting his entire filmography for nothing, that's 35+ years in the making right there!

pete

monty python already did a skit about this.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

I was very much let down by Tony Scott with this film.
I enjoyed the trailer 100x more than the actual movie. From the opening shots, you will see a lack of interest. Second, it seemed like nobody bothered to tighten up the plot enough, especially since they're making a time travel movie you'd figure the story would be written in such a way to keep it fresh or original. The aesthetics/style, I did not see anything interesting here. Perhaps the motion blurs of the time travel portal (which is probably the most entertaining part of the movie, the cast sitting in a room watching a giant screen for about 30 minutes), but even then, I was hoping for more. Denzel was alright I suppose, but sometimes that can't distract you enough from thinking how bad the movie is. And to top it all off, what a lame ending. It practically throws all sensible theories out the window, yes the movie even contradicts itself. Scott tried to make something further beyond his own comprehension and somewhere along the way decided to tame "his style" to the movie it could have worked best in.

And to only think I could have watched the fountain instead...

Ravi

Why is Denzel on fire in the Deja Vu poster but not on the Man on Fire poster?