The Last Kiss

Started by modage, June 22, 2006, 01:39:12 PM

Pozer

didn't you see Garden State?  each song will play just over a minute (in some cases under a minute) save for the last one which will carry over the melodramatic ending/credits.

matt35mm

What's Garden State?

No, each song in Garden State played for less than a minute.  I remember because it bugged me.  Everyone made such a big fuss about that Such Great Heights song, but it played in the movie over one shot of them on the bed, lasting about 20 seconds.  RIDICULE!  The Shins song also only plays very shortly, the Coldplay song plays just long enough for you to hear the "we live in a beautiful world" line used oh so ironically while he's in traffic.  And the last song, the Frou Frou one, is mangled by being played, then stopped, then played.

It's like we've gone past the mix-tape-inspired movies and have gone onto the kid-with-short-attention-span-on-his-iPod-inspired ones.

Sorry for posting about this subject three times before this movie has even come out, but please allow (or at least endure) one of my few rant-inspiring pet peeves.

Pozer

rant on.  i agree with you completely.  i think i remember your garden state songs comment.  the frou frou example is the absolute worst.   

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: modage on June 22, 2006, 01:39:12 PM
wow, garden state + crash = probably going to be the most hated movie of the year on xixax..... and yet, i'm seeing this! 
and i did!  i even broke my streak of not having been to a movie i paid for in a few months even though i KNEW it would totally be only a rental, i still hoped i would love it anyway.  i really appreciated the way certain characters behaved in the film that seemed more like real life and not what you would typically see in a film.  i can see why braff was drawn to those elements but it didnt quite come together as a film.  there is some weak dialogue in parts and the direction is just really boring.  even with this script i feel like if braff or someone with more of a style and a pov had directed this it could've been something more.  michael penn does the score and the sntk. does not play nearly as heavily into the film as you would believe, (no more than a typical studio film), though aimee mann's song is in the film fiona's is not :(  it is really nothing nothing like garden state, and thats a little unfortunate.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

dude, go see half nelson.  please. 

modage

SiliasRuby

Quote from: modage on September 16, 2006, 11:03:05 PM
and i did!  i even broke my streak of not having been to a movie i paid for in a few months even though i KNEW it would totally be only a rental, i still hoped i would love it anyway.  i really appreciated the way certain characters behaved in the film that seemed more like real life and not what you would typically see in a film.  i can see why braff was drawn to those elements but it didnt quite come together as a film.  there is some weak dialogue in parts and the direction is just really boring.  even with this script i feel like if braff or someone with more of a style and a pov had directed this it could've been something more.  michael penn does the score and the sntk. does not play nearly as heavily into the film as you would believe, (no more than a typical studio film), though aimee mann's song is in the film fiona's is not :(  it is really nothing nothing like garden state, and thats a little unfortunate.
Saw this, agree with mod and I wanted more. Felt like it was a bit aimless and some of the characters weren't explored as much as they could be.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

The Perineum Falcon

I left this completely depressed and apathetic towards relationships and this movie.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.