Evan Almighty

Started by MacGuffin, May 14, 2004, 12:37:23 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Red Vine

Let the christians protests begin..... :roll:
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

john

Quote from: RedVines on March 28, 2007, 03:18:01 PM

We'll see, dude. But my bet is that they'll eat this shit up.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Pubrick

yeah they'll eat shit alrite..
under the paving stones.

pete

no way, they loved the first bruce almighty, this movie is as offensive as the noah's ark short films by Disney from the 40s.  it's poking gentle biblical fun, plus everything in the first bruce almighty sounded vaguely comforting/ protestant.  the studios have played it off like a parable, this one will do alright.  Christian outrage usually comes from indie films they'll never see anyways or anything accusatory. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Tom Shadyac's films are always controversial.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

wow. that pretty much summarized everything that happens in the movie and i don't think i want to see it anymore.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Red Vine on March 28, 2007, 03:18:01 PM

did anyone see this?
i bought an Office DVD pack with seasons 1 & 2 and it came with a free tic to the film. i didn't think it was that bad.

i'm really surprised the Christian community did not eat this up though - i don't think it had a single profanity or sexual situation/innuendo. i was waiting for the animal humping joke and it never came.

with this bombing as badly as it has - some will be made on DVD sales/rentals i'm sure - i'm thinking there won't be a third Almighty film.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Red Vine

Quote from: bigideas on July 29, 2007, 10:01:50 PM
Quote from: The Red Vine on March 28, 2007, 03:18:01 PM
with this bombing as badly as it has - some will be made on DVD sales/rentals i'm sure - i'm thinking there won't be a third Almighty film.

Surely Universal has learned their lesson now. They got lucky with Bruce, but it's silly to have such a huge budget for what is essentially a stupid comedy. I don't know how anyone thought the film would go over well reading that dreadful script anyway.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Kal

I think some reviews and opinions said exactly the problem with the movie... the story and trailers and the concept of Steve Carrel building an arc wasnt appealing. The idea of Jim Carrey as God was, cause he is crazy and we've seen him doing other roles like that where he can just do whatever he wants. The first movie was stupid but it was funny because of Jim Carrey and the fact that he had no limitations to what he could do (as God). Now, this one is different. It has to do with a specific story in the bible and a lot of people just didnt see it as the must-see comedy of the summer. They also spent most of that budget in animals and stuff that dont do shit.

I havent seen it... probably will watch in eventually on HBO On Demand... but I rather see Chuck & Larry than this even if that movie also sucked.

tpfkabi

someone building an ark in modern times is interesting to me. then again, i don't think i would have wanted to see it unless i had a ticket - maybe i have been affected by the fact that it was free (can't look a gift horse in the mouth logic).

one reason the Christian community might not have embraced it - the Almighty name. i have a cousin who will not even watch a movie over PG-13, yet i knew he likes the Office, so i asked him if he was interested and he was like, "no way!" my guess is that a lot of this view stems from Bruce, which had profanity and sexual situations. (ironically, he loves Dumb and Dumber which also has Carrey and profanity and sexual innuendo). i guess it is the combination of these things and God, which he takes as blasphemy.

the script was written after Passion (i guess so since it was referenced in the original screenplay title) so i imagine it was a thought to capitalize on the Christian market that saw that. so it's kinda a catch 22...

it probably got the funding it did because of the success and linking to Bruce Almighty, yet that film probably didn't sit too well with the religious right, so they avoided Evan Almighty because of that link.

that's my guess.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.