Be Kind, Rewind

Started by MacGuffin, May 02, 2006, 12:42:18 AM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

hey folks, pozer here...

let me start by quoting future joel siegel... "Be Kind, Fast Forward."  now mind you, this was the roughest cut of a movie i've ever seen at a screening.  so rough in fact, that i don't think it was ready to show by far (even for feedback purposes) with its poor character development, horrible pacing, missing dialogue and special effects, etc.   if you're looking for the 'what it's about' part of the review, maybe go read one at 'taint tit tool news or something. 
<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<i'll just say (keeping it spoiler free) that it opens cool with this old time movie sequence, then gets really slow and really unfunny really fast, then picks up and gets really funny with the first recreation of a movie then gets old with other recreations then tries to have a heart but fails then picks up with some more funny/zany bits then has one of the coolest long camera shots ever then drags some more then goes to a place no one could possibly care about.  jack b and mos d have their moments, however, a lot of little subtle moments (specially with md) are just awkward and unnecessary.  there are a lot of jokes and dialogue that are NOT pulled off and need to be cut.  the 2001 ASO and ghostbuster scenes were the best bits of the movie.  GB definitely got the biggest reaction/laughs.  but they were in fact only bits.  overall, this is a forgetable film  :shock: 
<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<there is no doubt gondry is clever and writes funny bits, but i think he needs to take much MUCH more time with his projects.  at least let his pal chuck k take a look at his scripts - or maybe invent some sort of proof read machine gimmick.  this felt like they went off of a first draft.  as of now, i hold this no higher than a movie like click or envy  :shock: X2  in fact, gone dry could have easily written either one of those flicks.  he would have executed them more properly, but the story is no greater.  saw him in the lobby surrounded by geeks telling him the parts they liked.  the joel siegal part of me wanted to yell out "yo, gondry, be kind... rewrite!"  but thankfully the cool part of me always kicks the joel siegal part's ass.   

Pubrick

you broke the internet.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

WARNING: HONEST OPPINION ONLY HERE.  NO SPOILERS THO.

i don't intend to break spirits...  this was my #7 most anticipated of '07, and i was really disappointed by it.  you know how you watch a movie you were looking forward to, and you keep thinking, 'this can't be it, can it?'  it's really weird, it's like half gondry and half not.  and the half that is gondry is trying way too hard.  i really mean what i say about his writing here.  it's a great concept but needed to be gone over and over much more and certain plot points needed to take different directions.  i'm really hoping it can be salvaged into a decent film.  the person i took felt about the same way i did (i rated it fair by the way and have never put as much thought and notes into one of those rate cards as i did with this one) so it was not hated. they really did show it way too early, and here's to wishes of more clever shaping  :yabbse-smiley:           

pete

I refuse to believe you.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

It's the First Image From Michel Gondry's Be Kind, Rewind!
Source: TwitchFilm

And it features stars Jack Black and Mos Def wrapped in tin foil. Considering this is a Gondry film I'm not surprised in the least. Grinning like an idiot, yes. Surprised, no.

Jack Black stars in this new comedy from the wild imagination of Academy Award winner Michel Gondry about two best friends, one electromagnetic field, and every movie you've ever loved.

When Jerry becomes accidentally magnetized while trying to sabotage the power plant he believes is melting his brain, the magnetic field he gives off ends up erasing all of the tapes in the video store where his best friend Mike works. Now Mike may lose his job, and the only way the friends can think to save it is to keep the one regular customer they have - a little old lady with a tenuous grasp on reality - from recognizing what has happened. The way they do this? By recreating and refilming every movie that she decides to rent of course! From Driving Miss Daisy to Ghostbusters to Rush Hour, these two friends become the biggest stars in their neighbourhood by starring in the biggest movies in the world.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

goddamn, it's still a great idea..

and that's weird how they replaced jack black with toby radloff.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

i don't see how this couldn't be the best movie ever.  looks like a good trailer, not sure. 

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

Quote from: JG on August 08, 2007, 12:14:09 PM
i don't see how this couldn't be the best movie ever.  looks like a good trailer, not sure. 
yeah, looks like.

The Perineum Falcon

Yeah, the trailer definitely works.

I feel exponentially more positive and excited about this now.

My worries have washed away. I'll put my trust in M. Gondry.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

Quote from: JG on August 08, 2007, 12:14:09 PM
i don't see how this couldn't be the best movie ever.

perhaps the upcoming release of other actual best movies ever has something to do with it.

mos def acts kinda hokey in the trailer, and i still don't get why they replaced jack black with toby radloff. :yabbse-huh:
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick on August 09, 2007, 06:35:36 AM
mos def acts kinda hokey in the trailer

I was a little concerned about that too.  I hope he doesn't do what he did in Hitchhikers and turn out a great performance that just doesn't fit in with anything around him.

I have high hopes for this and I'm praying that the trailer people know what they're doing for once and are saving the best parts of the movie for the movie.  The trailer's good and all but if it doesn't get any better than this... but what am I worried about?  It's got to be better than Human Nature and I liked that one.  Plus, Paul Dinello.