The Simpsons Movie

Started by MacGuffin, April 01, 2006, 07:25:07 AM

diggler

you know what, i loved this movie

it doesn't hold a candle to the simpsons in it's prime... but where the simpsons are and what the show had to do to redeem itself, it really worked for me. i'll never watch an episode again, but i can make peace with the show. Perhaps i'm coming off of a high from just seeing it, but i'm totally satisfied.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pumba

same here,  I actually ended up seeing this twice this weekend and i had just as good a time as the first. I also really enjoyed how it was "hollywood moviealized", it was a nice change of pace.

Kal

For me it was just awesome to see this in a BIG screen. I havent watched any episodes of the Simpsons in so long that I was really happy about seeing all these characters again. It was funny, not as funny as some of their very best episodes, but it was good. I wish the villain would have been somebody from the show rather than new, but overall it was good. I also wanted to see a little more of Burns and some other characters who almost didnt show up. The closing credits with Burns and Smithers was great.

Poobread

Was anybody a little troubled by the few scenes (Bart's genitals, Marge's "Goddamn", Otto's bong) that seemed to purposefully push the limits of the series just because they "could" on the big screen?

Although they did their job earning the pg13 rating, a couple things seemed shoved in their without an afterthought to the series.

JG

i thought bart's weener moment was in good taste, maybe not so much with marge's "goddamn" (i actually don't remember that). 

other than a few moments of really blatant satire - and a big "how did they screw that up" with arnold instead of wolfcastle - i thought this was really good.  like a lot of people, i haven't watched a new simpsons episode in forever, and it was just really refreshing to see the whole crew again.  i'd be surprised if a simpsons fan didn't at least like this, but everyone i was with really loved it.  i'm really happy that this didn't stink, and it made me realize that i really need to buy a few of the essential seasons on DVD. 

squints

SPOILER

The funniest thing in the entire movie:

Bart talking to his dog: How did you make it?!

Santa's little helper: I did things no dog should do. They will haunt me for the rest of my life.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

all i can say is, god bless animation for saving this summer of shit.

i started a simpsons marathon on preparation for this movie. i watched from season three to nine, from friday to yesterday just to be sure i wasn't going to be betrayed by nostalgia. i think i wasn't.

context, context, context.

john

My only complaints about this film, which are minor, are the more pop culture oriented references.

The reference to Grand Theft Auto and Happy Feet. I think those jokes will lose value over time. To a much lesser extent, the Comic Book Guy capturing Grandpa's freak-out with his cell phone camera.

Other than those minimal complaints, this was a great theatrical experience. The first time this summer, or in a few summer's past where a film actually deserved the anticipation it cultivated. Even if it hadn't been as clever, as slight, and as enjoyable as it was... it deserved to be anticipated.

Ultimately, it's just another, larger moneymaker for Fox. Something to show the shareholders and sell merchandise... but at least the film itself compromised nothing for it... even taking jabs at Fox, the oil companies, and Disney along the way.

This, along with Ratatouille and Knocked Up, show that spectacle isn't the only way to succeed in the summer. Transformers, Pirates, and Spiderman 3 could take notes... it's fucking easy to be populist... you can pass off anything and deem it escapism... it's another thing entirely to truly be populist and rewarding.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Ravi

This wasn't nearly as good as the best episodes but FWIW I thought it was better than most of what I've seen of the past 8 or 9 seasons.  I wished some of the other characters had more screen time, though.  The film could have used some funny Apu or Patty and Selma or Mr. Burns scenes.

I was saying "Boo-urns."

SiliasRuby

This was great. So many wonderful moments and litte gas that I didn't see in the first viewing I caught in the second. As a huge simpsons fan, it was good to see that some of the jokes were on par with the earlier seasons on 3-9. I really really loved it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

Browsing Google news today, i came across this. They really couldn't have found a better picture?

"Goodbye everybody!"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: john on August 03, 2007, 01:28:24 AM
My only complaints about this film, which are minor, are the more pop culture oriented references.

The reference to Grand Theft Auto and Happy Feet. I think those jokes will lose value over time. To a much lesser extent, the Comic Book Guy capturing Grandpa's freak-out with his cell phone camera.

This is part of what makes Simpsons so important.  It is always slightly dated to fit the time, but weaves in themes that are universal so it's not just a one-time joke on the current events.  For instance, Troy McClure's fetish with fish in season 7 was a joke on Richard Gere's gerbil incident.  If you didn't know, you could still find it funny and if you did know, you were much wiser for it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

i've never been this excited for a dvd, really.
context, context, context.

Stefen

It was like paying for the TV show. Never been a big Simpsons fan (Futurama >>> Simpsons) so maybe it just wasn't for me, but this was pretty awful.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.