Johnny Guitar

Started by Reinhold, March 22, 2006, 01:02:46 AM

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

sheshothim

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Reinhold

yes. i saw it in class yesterday. i hated it.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Split Infinitive

Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

godardian

Damn, I thought the revival of this thread might mean that this great film would finally be released to DVD. Still waiting.... Why didn't they just package Rebel with this and Bigger than Life and sell it as a 3-pack? Would've worked as well as Dog Day Afternoon/All the President's Men/Network box set, in my opinion.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

samsong

Reinhold

i hated the dialogue, was unimpressed by the awkward overuse of violence (even for a b-western), and was utterly bored with the plot. i thought the majority of the performances were completely hollow, and was also aggrivated by the lack of anything resembling justice in the end.

meatwad

i just read this quote today from francois truffaut, and thought of this thread

"Johnny Guitar is the Beauty and the Beast of Westerns, a Western dream"

i have not seen this film, but plan to very soon. i've heard nothing but good things about it till this thread popped up

Alethia

dont let the negativity discourage you, its a great film

samsong

Quote from: eward on March 26, 2006, 05:23:32 PM
dont let the negativity discourage you, its a great film

WORD.

Reinhold

i can't imagine enjoying this film, but apparently i didn't give it a fair shot if i'm the only person in the world who dislikes it. i'll give it another viewing eventually.

what did you like about it?

samsong

well, since no one else will defend it...

first and foremost i think it's just a really cool movie, in the same way that Breathless is or a jean-pierre melville film--there's a level of enjoyment that can be derived strictly from the film's aesthetics and attitude that make it... cool.  it's got fantastic style, some sharp, grandiose dialogue (you'll have to explain to me why you hate it), and great performances from everyone, including a very memorable supporting cast of characters.  it's very go-for-broke and operatic.  i'm going to pull a he-likes-it-therefore-it-is-good and quote godard (which meatwad already did), who said that Johnny Guitar is the Beauty and the Beast (cocteau) of westerns, which is apt--it's a very surreal western that is, in essence, a film noir as well.  it's a great metaphor for mccarthyism, not too heavy, though it is a little obvious.  i also love how much of a women's picture it is--had douglas sirk made violent westerns this is the film he would have made... maybe going into social class some more or something but whatever.  it's a film of big, broad strokes in the way that only nick ray could do it (you'll probably hate it too if you hated Johnny Guitar but Bigger Than Life is AMAZING).  it's pure cinema.  you also have to take the era from which in came into consideration... it can easily be seen as a campy piece of shit but if you meet it on its terms it has a lot of rewards.  and i have to make special note of the blocking and the rhythm... some great stuff.  the moment when we firs see the bar, and one of the dealers starts out the roulette wheel... gives me chills every time.  and sterling hayden's a badass.