Snakes On A Mutherfuckin' Plane

Started by MacGuffin, October 26, 2004, 10:35:53 PM

diggler

haha, great poster. it would be better if this wasn't even a real film just so they could keep going on with the hilarious marketing.

the film will most definitely disappoint now.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Ravi

http://www.avclub.com/content/hater

Snakes On A Mountain Of Ridiculous Hype
posted by: Amelie Gillette
July 7, 2006 - 10:03am

The first song on the soundtrack for this summer's first surefire disappointment, Snakes On A Plane, has been chosen—so you can breathe now.

Listen to it here, and then immediately start complaining that it wasn't what you thought it was going to be. (Wasn't that song from that one fan site that incorporated real snakes hissing and re-mixed dialogue from every movie Samuel Jackson's ever been in, like, way better? Why won't they use that in the movie? Don't they get it? Ugh! They're ruining Snakes On A Plane! Just look at this poster, there are barely any snakes in it!)

Anyway, the song is by Cobra Starship, a side-project of Gabe Suporta (of the band Midtown), who wants his song "Snakes On A Plane (Bring It)" to mean something more than, say, "there are actual, literal snakes on an actual, literal plane...so bring it." He told MTV.com:

"We actually didn't want to make it too literal about snakes on a plane, so we used a metaphor of snakes being like shady dudes," Saporta said on the set of the video.

"Like in the [music] industry, like snakes in suits in the back of the plane," Beckett added. "That way it's not completely just a joke."

Oh, it's completely a joke. A tired, annoying joke at this point, but still a joke.

Saporta also claims that choosing to name his band "Cobra Starship" and writing a song for the Snakes On A Plane soundtrack is pure coincidence:

"I love, like, old vintage jackets and had this one that said 'Cobra' on it from the Sylvester Stallone movie," Saporta said of his inspiration for the band's name. "And I had another one, it was like a total Michael Jackson jacket with the zippers and stuff from the '80s, and on the back it said 'Starship Disco,' so I just put both of them together."

Ok. So, just to clarify: out of all the vintage jackets combinations in the world, you chose to name your band Cobra Starship, then wrote a song for the soundtrack of a metaphor-free movie called Snakes On A Plane using "snakes on a plane" as a metaphor for something totally unrelated.

Rationalize it however you want, but I can't wait for this movie to come out and suck so much, we'll never have to deal with ironic fan art ever again.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

hahaha! yes, finally, somebody else other than my roommates agree with me!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

matt35mm

Quote from: Lucid on August 03, 2006, 11:12:25 PM
The "Snakes on a Plane" Problem
The tragedy of the best titled movie in the history of film
Fuck that shit.  The best titled movie in the history of film is the Steven Segal movie Half Past Dead.

Snakes on a Plane is the stupidest title to get excited about.  I could talk for hours about the title Half Past Dead, which is more brilliantly absurd than I think the makers of that movie realized... but to hear someone get excited because the title is what the movie is about is essentially a litmus test for stupidity.  ESPECIALLY when they bother to explain to me why that title is supposedly brilliant.

Interesting how people can get so excited about matching a title to its premise when the majority of them probably couldn't properly match enough things to get above triple-digits on their SATs.

Ravi

Quote from: Lucid on August 03, 2006, 11:12:25 PM
people now say "Snakes on a plane" in place of "It is what it is" or "Shit happens" or "My wife is a rum-guzzling whore."

Rum-guzzling?

QuoteTrue story: My friend Jenny is in law school, and one of her classmates went to a movie in April. When the coming attractions started, the first image was of dozens of unsuspecting plane passengers sitting in the cabin of an airborne 757. The moment he saw this, the mischievous law student yelled, "Snakes on a plane!" presumably to amuse and unify the other patrons. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a trailer for United 93, which significantly reduced the hilarity of his outburst.

This is hilarious.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ravi on August 03, 2006, 11:40:35 PM
QuoteTrue story: My friend Jenny is in law school, and one of her classmates went to a movie in April. When the coming attractions started, the first image was of dozens of unsuspecting plane passengers sitting in the cabin of an airborne 757. The moment he saw this, the mischievous law student yelled, "Snakes on a plane!" presumably to amuse and unify the other patrons. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a trailer for United 93, which significantly reduced the hilarity of his outburst.

This is hilarious.

I figured this sort of thing happened a lot... despite how much I loved United 93 and how much it fucked me up, I couldn't help but stand up when the credits started rolling and whine "Awwwww... I thought there were gonna be snakes on that plane!"

grand theft sparrow

I find all of this hype fascinating.  It's like that movie "Crazy People" with Dudley Moore when the public responded to honest advertising. 

I think that, at best, studios are going to try and squeeze out one or two more of these pre-packaged cult classics (maybe even Snakes 2) but the audience won't have it.  I see the continuation of this as I see the ill-conceived sequels that nobody wanted to accidental hit movies, like The Whole Ten Yards or Analyze That.  It's something that might pop up every so often, at worst, but it has as much chance of fucking up filmmaking as, say, Brett Ratner.  It's not like "There Will Be Blood" is going to have a similar marketing campaign and PTA will shoot extra scenes with Daniel Day Lewis based on what we might say here.  So this is only going to affect shitty movies... and they're shitty anyway so let them be shitty.

Quote from: matt35mm on August 03, 2006, 11:29:11 PM
Fuck that shit.  The best titled movie in the history of film is the Steven Segal movie Half Past Dead.

Fuck that shit.  The best movie title in history is still this one.

pete

when I was in Taiwan I saw two back-to-back teasers before my Miami Vice, and in the Warner Bros theater, they had all sorts of extravagant Snakes on a Plane posters, like they had a mini poster the size of a window on a plane placed by the escalators, and through the window you can find different passengers getting attacked by the snakes.  It's also titled Snakes On a Plane, but it doens't play up the irony any more than any other horror/ slasher films (which always contain a little bit of irony I guess).
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: hackspaced on August 04, 2006, 06:18:02 AM
I think that, at best, studios are going to try and squeeze out one or two more of these pre-packaged cult classics (maybe even Snakes 2) but the audience won't have it.  I see the continuation of this as I see the ill-conceived sequels that nobody wanted to accidental hit movies, like The Whole Ten Yards or Analyze That. 

Or The Blair Witch Project.

People are going to be half-sick of this film before it even hits the screens.  Not sick enough to not see it, but sick enough that after they see it they won't want to see it again.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ravi on August 04, 2006, 01:25:17 PM
I think that, at best, studios are going to try and squeeze out one or two more of these pre-packaged cult classics (maybe even Snakes 2) but the audience won't have it.  I see the continuation of this as I see the ill-conceived sequels that nobody wanted to accidental hit movies, like The Whole Ten Yards or Analyze That. 

Or The Blair Witch Project.

People are going to be half-sick of this film before it even hits the screens.  Not sick enough to not see it, but sick enough that after they see it they won't want to see it again.

Blair Witch 2 is a perfect example, yeah. 

Audiences may be stupid for the most part and go see tons of crap but they're generally savvy enough to know when they're being taken for a ride one too many times (even if it has to be a really really REALLY bad ride to get them to realize).  If some studio tries something like this, it will A) be less organic than this (as funny as that sounds) because they're looking for the internet feedback as opposed to the feedback coming unsolicited, and B) the public will see it as a cheap rip-off of the Snakes on a Plane phenomenon fad and look the other way.

RegularKarate

Quote from: matt35mm on August 03, 2006, 11:29:11 PM

Fuck that shit.  The best movie title in history is still this one.

BOTH those shits should be fucked!  Those titles are tongue in cheek... THIS is the best title.