The Notorious Bettie Page

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2006, 01:45:09 PM

godardian

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on April 18, 2006, 03:28:36 PM
Mary Harron is all good and well, but it's the name Christine Vachon that got me into my seat.

Oh, yes, yes, yes.... Safe. Happiness. Far from Heaven. Boys Don't Cry. And then extending into unexpected territory like The Company and A Dirty Shame. And has anyone seen the overlooked Safety of Objects? Vachon is an indie-film standard-bearer. She recently gave a great interview in Bust magazine. Very smart, very hip. And a mom!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

matt35mm

Quote from: godardian on April 18, 2006, 03:35:51 PM
Quote from: Losing the Horse: on April 18, 2006, 03:28:36 PM
Mary Harron is all good and well, but it's the name Christine Vachon that got me into my seat.

Oh, yes, yes, yes.... Safe. Happiness. Far from Heaven. Boys Don't Cry. And then extending into unexpected territory like The Company and A Dirty Shame. And has anyone seen the overlooked Safety of Objects? Vachon is an indie-film standard-bearer. She recently gave a great interview in Bust magazine. Very smart, very hip. And a mom!
Read her book Shoot To Kill.  It's a fantastic book about exactly what a producer does, with, of course, the focus on independent film producing.  She shares her diaries on making certain films.  It only goes up to the release of Velvet Goldmine, but she's working on a second book right now.  If you like her, you'll love the book.  Plus it's just a great read!  I totally absorbed that book.  You'll learn a lot, and come to see how her personal philosophy on producing film has led to such a strong track record for Killer Films.

matt35mm

I enjoyed this film a lot.  I could watch Gretchon Mol for 1000 years.  She absolutely triumphs here.

Some reviewers have criticised that the film doesn't offer a whole lot of reasons behind the things that happen.  I say thank god it doesn't.  After watching Hard Candy, I relished that this film didn't tell me what to think.  It was assured and light on its feet, leaping past most of the clichés of your average bio-pic, and smart enough to know that the psychology and motivation can be implicit rather than explicit.

But there's not a whole lot for me to say--Mol's face says it all.  Now I finally know why she was so hyped up 8 years or so ago: this girl is IT, and this film makes it undeniably her time, finally.

w/o horse

Quote from: matt35mm on April 29, 2006, 10:32:09 PM
motivation can be implicit rather than explicit.

There's some humor to be had in this sentence.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

modage

Quote from: matt35mm on April 29, 2006, 10:32:09 PM
I enjoyed this film a lot.  I could watch Gretchon Mol for 1000 years.  She absolutely triumphs here.
yes definitely.  but this film was just so light.  so fast and enjoyable and 85 breezy minutes that i wish it could've dug a little deeper.  everything in the film was just scratching the surface, but i guess thats one of the constraints of the biopic.  i really enjoyed the way the film was shot and especially gretchen mols performance.  its a good rental.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on September 27, 2006, 09:44:42 PMi wish it could've dug a little deeper. 

I thought the same thing; that the film was missing some more depth.

It's a mixed balance presented here. The film is not really a biopic about Page (her time in a mental institution was omitted), but instead it deals more with her 'icon' of that era and the 'smut' hearings. Which I thought was fine, but it made the film feel like it never wanted to dip below the surface.

But Mol's performance is stellar. She plays Page being very naive, but never making her come off dumb.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks