The Science Of Sleep

Started by cowboykurtis, June 21, 2004, 11:53:28 AM

colbent

Crazy exciting clip available for viewing by subscribing to partizan podcast~!

http://www.partizan.com/partizan/podcast/

JG

FUCK yes. 

EDIT:  Just found this on IMDB: 
QuoteComingsoon.net has posted the US release date--August 4, 2006. Huzzah!

way too long to wait. 

good clip, it didn't spoil a thing and got me interested in the movie.twas basically a teaser. and i'm glad gael got rid of his crap british accent.
context, context, context.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Red Vine

I'm interested in any movies involving Gondry. that clip was.....well, different. I'm looking forward to a trailer or poster.  8)

it's getting mixed reactions from the people that saw it last month. most of them saying it was "boring, a real snoozer". but I just can't believe that. this movie is gonna be anything but boring.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pozer

Seeing this tomorrow night by the way.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Where at?  You better write a review of this!
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Pozer

Arclight in Hollywood.  I am officially a SCREENER now.

JG

First the fountain, then this.   Sir, I envy you. 

Pozer

Put your Gondry right here my friend - and watch your mind bend...
zzzzzzzzzzThat is precisely what The Science of Sleep does.  Those BIG HANDS literary come out of the screen, reaches into your forehead and bats around your cookie dough brain.  It fucks with you - puts you directly into Stephane's mind and confusion.  You gotta appreciate how Michel's stories stay true to the REAL of the surreal and give you situations and emotions that you realate with.  I've been in Stephane's situation - that moment of first meeting someone and not thinking much of them or an attraction to them, and then suddenly something happens - your feelings change... but hers end up not being as mutual...  or so that's how it goes in your mind and then you're tortured. 
zzzzzzzzzzThis story is about HIM solely.  About dealing with himself and his faults through his dreams mixed with reality of course.   And it's high-larious.  This humor is so original and so refreshing.  Gael was spectac - a pleasing ingredient for a Gondry tale.  The chick from 21 Grams (too lazy to look up) was one of the most PERFECT CASTS I've seen in ages.  The main office dude (too lazy to look up) is a comic genius.  It felt so... GOOD watching this film.  It engages such an intimate feeling.  I wasn't quite sure about the ending.  I would lie if I didn't say there was a certain unfullfillment about it at first.  But then I got to thinking about how it did not compromise and made you feel a certain way, so I suppose it got the job done. 
zzzzzzzzzzWe were a part of the 20 picked for the focus group afterwards and that was some great discussion.  Once again (like The Fountain), impossible to market this film.  It WILL NOT be as mainstream as Eternal Sunshine and everyone commented on that (probably get a Huckabees run).  Everyone commented on how we were all there for Gondry... and then to our suprise, there he was with the execs, sippin' on a coke, listenin' to our thoughts.  Which means he heard my comment on how fans will be quite satisfied with this extraordinary follow up.

JG

wow, I am so excited.  That clip we've seen, that's not edited it out?  Are there more moments like that?  Hows the score, other musics?  So many questions, don't know how to ask them, but you are so goddamn lucky.

Thanks for the great review.

Pozer

Clip is there indeed. 
WAY more moments like that. 
Score is fantastic and adds to the mindfucking. 
And also, the three languages idea works SO WELL and adds to the high-larity.  You'll see why Gael was the perfect choice regarding this. 

Pozer

Quote from: ©brad on April 14, 2006, 01:50:46 PM
:yabbse-thumbdown:
But. It. Messes with. Your thoughts. And what's going on. Precisely. 
And the music fuels that.  So  :yabbse-thumbup: 

©brad

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known As on April 14, 2006, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: ©brad on April 14, 2006, 01:50:46 PM
:yabbse-thumbdown:
But. It. Messes with. Your thoughts. And what's going on. Precisely. 
And the music fuels that.  So  :yabbse-thumbup: 

that's great and i'm excited. i just don't like the term "mindfuck."